cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight of toy hauler

LRFitch
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Ford F250 crew cab short bed pickup with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. Looking for a 26-30' toy hauler to use as travel trailer and haul several large RC airplanes (total weight about 250#). Most haulers we've seen have a GVWR of 13,000lbs, and a tongue weight of about 1400 pounds. What safety and legal concerns do we face relative to weight limits. Sorry if this sounds sketchy, but I'm a bit concerned about being across the country, and have my rig impounded, and me in jail.
I'll get the truck weighed today, as a start?
18 REPLIES 18

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
cbigham wrote:
hvac wrote:
Try looking at ATC. Expensive but incredibly durable and reasonable weight figures. I pull the flagship 28 front bedroom with a half ton nationwide.

Like that act trailer. I understand they have aluminum slats floor, how do you keep warm in winter? Also is the generator installed, fuel tank, pump station for bikes ? Thanks

We are never below 30 degrees, the factory carpet is all we need for floor insulation. Having the floor exposed from below is critical. I will never own an insulated floor again. The coach has no wood, anywhere. Gen is built into the tongue, and its own 30 gallon fuel tank.It does have a separate fuel pumping station.

Picture of rig is in the imgur section of my profile.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard of a person towing a recreational vehicle, for recreational purposes, having their rig impounded and being in jail for something being over weight.

I've never heard of a person towing a recreational vehicle, for recreational purposes, getting stopped to have their weight checked either.
Bob

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
hvac wrote:
Try looking at ATC. Expensive but incredibly durable and reasonable weight figures. I pull the flagship 28 front bedroom with a half ton nationwide.

Like that act trailer. I understand they have aluminum slats floor, how do you keep warm in winter? Also is the generator installed, fuel tank, pump station for bikes ? Thanks

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
nayther wrote:
One thing to remember is that just because the GVW of the trailer is X it doesn't mean that's what you're going to be pulling. The capacity comes from the axles and tires along with the pin/tongue weight. There's no magic to it besides that.

I think you meant "GVWR." The "GVW" is the actual weight of what you're pulling. For example, my trailer has a GVW of about 10k pounds when loaded, but the GVWR is 13,500.

Actually, GVWR is total weight of truck, passengers, stuff in bed and tongue/pin weight.

GVWR of the trailer is the total weight of the trailer, stuff, water, toys etc.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
One thing to remember is that just because the GVW of the trailer is X it doesn't mean that's what you're going to be pulling. The capacity comes from the axles and tires along with the pin/tongue weight. There's no magic to it besides that.

I think you meant "GVWR." The "GVW" is the actual weight of what you're pulling. For example, my trailer has a GVW of about 10k pounds when loaded, but the GVWR is 13,500.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
twodownzero wrote:

The rating you are looking for is GCWR, aka, Gross Combination Weight Rating.

I can guarantee the GCWR is higher than 10,000lb for a 3/4 ton.

The GCWR is likely over double that. And it'll need to be to pull a trailer weighing 10-13k pounds.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
To give you a point of reference......

My truck is an older 2003 Ford F350 Super Duty with V10 gas. Below are my truck's specs. I tow a 28' Tahoe that's about 8000# dry and about 10,000# loaded. It does have a GVWR of 13000# but I will never get to that weight as I will never carry more than 2000# of stuff. TW is 1500# with full water tanks (100ga). I also do not carry off road toys.....just bicycles, raft, outboard engine, fishing gear, ice chests, camping gear, etc. I am within specs for towing safely.

Payload: 2980#
Front GAWR: 4250#
Rear GAWR: 6830#
GCVWR: 20,000#
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

Lazy_D
Explorer
Explorer
The weakest link in everything is your rear tires. Thatโ€™s why A F250 or a 2500 have lower GVWR. You should have a weight rating on your rear axle. And if you look at the rear tires weight rating itโ€™ll be the same number. I went up two size on tires and increased my capacity by almost 800#.
TV 2007 Chevy 2500HD CCSB 4X4 Duramax. EFI Live, Edge insight, Sinister EGR delete
S&B cold air intake, Titan 52 gal tank, FASS 150 Lift pump, Magnaflow 5" exhaust
Andersen ultimate hitch
Air Ride bags

hvac
Explorer
Explorer

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
twodownzero wrote:

I can guarantee the GCWR is higher than 10,000lb for a 3/4 ton.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
LRFitch wrote:
I have a 2008 Ford F250 crew cab short bed pickup with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. Looking for a 26-30' toy hauler to use as travel trailer and haul several large RC airplanes (total weight about 250#). Most haulers we've seen have a GVWR of 13,000lbs, and a tongue weight of about 1400 pounds. What safety and legal concerns do we face relative to weight limits. Sorry if this sounds sketchy, but I'm a bit concerned about being across the country, and have my rig impounded, and me in jail.
I'll get the truck weighed today, as a start?

This is one time you need to also look at the Dry weight of the TH or the Payload. Typically TH have substantial payloads, you 250# of RC planes will not make a dent in that.
Tongue weight is something you will need to look at, make sure your hitch is rated high enough for the tongue.

Depending on if TV is gas or diesel you should actually be within weights, diesel might be tight.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
nayther wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
LRFitch I'm not aware of much attention to this in OR or WA, but a few years ago CA started cracking down on this. Some of the Toy Hauler guys in CA can chime in, but they also have difference licensing requirements.

We kept hearing that guys were getting pulled over and their weight checked at Glamis but never got confirmation. Unless it's a special CHP unit with portable scales they would have no idea besides reading the sticker and that's "Gross"

The sticker has a rating, but it doesn't tell you anything about the weight, gross or otherwise.

valhalla360 wrote:
To answer your question: No one is impounding RV's because they are overweight. As a recreational user, you don't have to go thru weigh stations and short of really bad gross negligence they will have no idea if you are over weight.

But looking at your post, I'm pretty sure you have your numbers mixed up.
- GVWR: The maximum weight of the individual unit (truck and trailer each have separate numbers)
- CGVWR: The maximum weight of truck and trailer combined.

There are a handful of other ratings that come into play also.

I can't say with certainty without the full details of your truck but most likely it would be fine and within the limits.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
LRFitch I'm not aware of much attention to this in OR or WA, but a few years ago CA started cracking down on this. Some of the Toy Hauler guys in CA can chime in, but they also have difference licensing requirements.

We kept hearing that guys were getting pulled over and their weight checked at Glamis but never got confirmation. Unless it's a special CHP unit with portable scales they would have no idea besides reading the sticker and that's "Gross"
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX