Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Canyon de Chelly
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Canyon is on our bucket list and we don't mind dry camping at all. I understand the tours to see the incredible rock formations are outstanding and informative. From there we want to go Navajo National Monument to see more cliff dwellings and I understand the Visitors Center sells some mighty fine Navajo silver

Our Road Less Traveled

rbtglove

Beavercreek OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/19 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't mind dry camping you might try Chaco Canyon in NM. We have visited most of the ancient sites and this is in our opinion the most impressive. Very rough slow drive in, from north or south route, never very crowded was a no reservations but plenty of room even for bigger rigs. A small store but only drinking water available Camp very close to the ruins. When the sun goes down the canyon becomes almost mystical. Unlike a lot of the others this one is largely untouched.

Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

Travel glampers

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/19 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am the original poster. Thank you all for your suggestions. We didn’t make it there on our planned date due to bad weather, but hope to still work it into our trip. If so, we will try to stay in the campground there. I appreciate all your help and suggestions. We love the Southwest.

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/19 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rbtglove wrote:

If you don't mind dry camping you might try Chaco Canyon in NM. We have visited most of the ancient sites and this is in our opinion the most impressive. Very rough slow drive in, from north or south route, never very crowded was a no reservations but plenty of room even for bigger rigs. A small store but only drinking water available Camp very close to the ruins. When the sun goes down the canyon becomes almost mystical. Unlike a lot of the others this one is largely untouched.

^^^^^Good Advice^^^^^^

And true it is Very Slow in on the WashBoard!

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

timandsusan

San Antonio, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/19 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About 10 years ago when we visited Canyon de Chelly, we opted to leave the RV at another RV Park (I don't remember where??) and stayed in the local motel. Worked great for us. And we have used that plan for other site visits that fit that situation--no available nearby RV Parks and we could visit with an overnight in a local motel. Hope you get to visit!

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is some of which you will miss if you skip Canyon de Chelly, including a photos of site 55 in Cottonwood. While I didn't take the jeep tour (and wish I had), it is a beautiful canyon.

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/19 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One other tip for Southwest trips: Download some Tony Hillerman audiobooks for the drive. It's fun to listen to a whodunnit and recognize the names of all the locations as you drive through them.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another author that mentions many southwest locations is J. A. Jance...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS