Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Winging it on your travels
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Winging it on your travels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
charming

Myrtle Beach

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/19 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our spring trip we did not have the luxury of no time table. We did enjoy taking out the map and deciding how we were to get to Houston and what we wanted to see. As always on our journeys we ran out of time on each of our stops.

We live at the beach and have no interest in beach locations unless it is something a little different. We are interested in history and love going to museums and historic sites.

The planner plodder in me is only going to give up so much control.

Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

wxtoad

Sturbridge MA

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Problems with such detailed planning for a trip:

I have no desire to spend hours researching details of CG after CG.

We hate to get pinned down to definite dates to be certain places. If we like a spot, we'll often extend our stay; if we don't like it, we move along after a day or two.

We prefer small, out-of-the-way places and enjoy boondocking, so finding a spot is rarely a problem.

A few years ago we did an 8-month trip around the US - from New England to FL to CA to WA to the UP and home. I can't tell you how many times we changed our plans and took off in a new direction.

A lot of our changes came after talking to people we met along the way who suggested interesting places to visit.

Semper Gumby is our travel motto.

2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

folivier

Southeast Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/19 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many options for finding cheap or free overnight spots. Days End Directory is one but requires an Escapees membership. Cabelas usually has a parking lot set aside for ON parking. Look for county or small town parks, usually free or low cost. Search the Inet for other apps.

Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I needed to plan out trips too often at the job to enjoy it during retirement. Now it's pick a direction, and see how it goes!

2001 RoadTrek 190

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reality is in the middle...
- Most of the time, you can show up and get a site.
- Prime time (weekends, holidays, special events), get reservations.

As others have said, it helps to travel earlier in the day and be looking to stop early afternoon. If you wait until 6pm and your first choice is full, it starts to add pressure as the sun is going down.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started as junior road warriors back in the 1950s traveling with the family in a 1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser. Dad never made any arrangements ahead of time. He trained us.

If you avoid the peak times to visit the most poplular places, most of your troubles will be over. Good to start and end early. Good to call ahead for a reservation on the same day. Once in awhile you can get stuck. There are always alternatives. I could never go on a long trip with all the places to stay mapped out. Same thing traveling out of the country. My brother has been everywhere and traveled for years around the world. He is in the Phillipines right now. His motto "the worst that can happen is that you sleep in your rental car and have rice and tea for dinner."

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

We get going early, and quit early, always get a spot in the camp grounds.

Unless we know where we plan on staying for an extended period, this is what we do. There's no wrong answer- everyone has different tolerances and spirits.

swphotobug

varous

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are early starters also and in by 1-2.

stew47

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/19 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m a bit of a planner too. Haven’t been much of a boon docker. Occasional wal Marts. We’re taking our longest trip in June. Ohio to glacier. I have an idea of area we want to stop each day but I’m not making reservations and I want to be free to roam each day while on the road. Lol it’s terrifying. I’ve got a generator now and fifth wheel with big tanks. We’re gonna be fine however it’s so different!

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/19 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been here done this before. Oak Harbor > -> Texas . No map, no plans, no schedule. 4 days out and we're,
Tucumcari tonight and we were set for the night by 4:00 PM

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Winging it on your travels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS