cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Routes north from Denver

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Entering and exiting Denver has become a nightmare of late, especially I25 north. Does anyone have any secrets for maintaining one's sanity when entering or exiting the city's north side?
14 REPLIES 14

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Question on toll rate of E-470. It charges by # of axles. My travel trailer has two axles. Does this mean I pay as a 4 axles vehicle? The cost is $14.25 one way (Express toll) for 2 axles, and $42.75 one way ( Express toll) for 4 axles, which is a bit much to swallow.
2017 Starcraft AR-ONE MAXX 20BHLE
2012 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
hedgehopper wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Have you tried State Route 85 to Greeley?
On our recent trip we took 85 to Greeley and north to its junction with I-80. It was a huge improvement over I-25. Thanks for the suggestion!
If you're willing to do the US 85 route, instead of turning off I-76 at US 85, continue on I-76 to exit 34 ("Kersey Road"). Head north on CR 49 (a four lane road) up to US 34 and head back east four miles to US 85 north. Quicker and you miss all the stop lights on US 85 through Brighton, Ft. Lupton, Evans, etc. It's our preferred route to Greeley from the south.
I just looked at your suggested route. Our atlas does not have CR49 marked. But I'm guessing it's the road that heads straight north from Exit 34. We'll have to try that. Thanks. (I'm assuming you meant west not east four miles to US85.)

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
On our recent trip we took 85 to Greeley and north to its junction with I-80. It was a huge improvement over I-25. Thanks for the suggestion!
If you're willing to do the US 85 route, instead of turning off I-76 at US 85, continue on I-76 to exit 34 ("Kersey Road"). Head north on CR 49 (a four lane road) up to US 34 and head back east four miles to US 85 north. Quicker and you miss all the stop lights on US 85 through Brighton, Ft. Lupton, Evans, etc. It's our preferred route to Greeley from the south.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
d3500ram wrote:
The Boulder-Denver Turnpike (Rt 36) will not be the road to take for a while until they get THAT new problem resolved :S

THAT problem may be with us a while...:E

Besides, it runs northwest...

Plus I'm not sure why anybody would take an RV on 36 anyway....
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
d3500ram wrote:
The Boulder-Denver Turnpike (Rt 36) will not be the road to take for a while until they get THAT new problem resolved :S

THAT problem may be with us a while...:E

Besides, it runs northwest...
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
hedgehopper wrote:
Entering and exiting Denver has become a nightmare of late, especially I25 north. Does anyone have any secrets for maintaining one's sanity when entering or exiting the city's north side?

Depends on how far north you want to go. If it's just to the FTC/LOV area, County Line Road from Lafayette north to Berthoud is an alternative. Some traffic lights at some of the highway crossings, but all in all, not a bad way to go.

If you want to go REALLY far north, you can head EAST to CO 71, and take that north...to South Dakota. Keeps the same road number through WY and in to SD, to Hot Springs. Can jump off at I-80 for Cheyenne or east to NE.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:
Entering and exiting Denver has become a nightmare of late, especially I-25 north. Does anyone have any secrets for maintaining one's sanity when entering or exiting the city's north side?
Old-Biscuit wrote:

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Have you driven I-25 south during Renaissance Festival weekends? Northbound I-25 doesn't hold a candle to that jam, especially now that they have started new construction at Larkspur. We are using CO 67 to CO 105 and CO 83 when towing our fifth wheel south just to avoid that Castle Rock to Monument stretch!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Wild_Bill_888
Explorer
Explorer
Travel between 10PM and 5AM.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am out of date, but used to like the Boulder Highway for going north and south.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess it depends on where you need to go. I have family in the PRoB region and if I am in Denver Town going north I will take 36 (yes, I know it is not much better) but not as bad as going I-25 north and picking up Baseline

If I need to hit PRoB right from the mountains I take 93 and skirt behind Golden, but there is a portion on that road that really backs up at certain times.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
E470, Pena Blvd, Tower Road, Highway 2, Highway 85, Wadsworth isn't bad, Ward Road, Highway 93. Those are the roads I use when I'm avoiding I-25. Timing is everything for a sane drive up that highway.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you tried State Route 85 to Greeley ?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31