cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

power for new reclining loveseat

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, Happy camping 2019. We have the chance to pickup a 10 month old Thomas Payne power reclining loveseat for 1/4 of the retail on a new one. My problem is that our slide out doesn't have power to it other than the overhead lights.
The seller has said that the loveseat is 12 volt so I was thinking I could run a line from the light over the loveseat, hiding the wire behind the trim. We never use that overhead light. Do you think that is a large enough gauge wire to power the loveseat?
John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT
11 REPLIES 11

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
Just got off the phone with Lippert customer service. They quoted me a price of $46.95 dollars with a 20% discount making the circuit board control box for the loveseat cost me $37.56 plus tax and shipping. Total price of $49.27. So We have a total cost of $149.27 for a $900.00 Thomas Payne power reclining loveseat. Sometimes Craigslist deals are real.
John ๐Ÿ˜›

2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
SCORE!
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
I got the loveseat, The seller told me that Lippert Components sent him a complete new loveseat instead of having him wait six weeks for a back ordered control box since his units were still under warranty. That's a pretty sweet way to resolve a product failure.
I'll just have to wait the six weeks, but in the mean time. we will still get to enjoy a much nicer loveseat than the one that came in our trailer.

What we had, cushions and back started peeling very bad.

$100.00 on Craigslist, now if the weather holds out for us to put it in the trailer.
John ๐Ÿ˜›

2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

MrWizard
Makes more sense, than trying to wire it to the light circuit
Just 1 amp at 120v is 120w aka 10 amps at 12v from the light circuit
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. For what he is selling the loveseat for, and the cost of new control boxes, I can order two new ones with a 110 adapter, and just plug it into the outlet next to the slide. Then I just have to put a note next to the slide switch to remind us to unplug it and stow the cord out of the way.
John ๐Ÿ˜›

2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Tried looking it up further. Hard to find a replacement power supply for that loveseat.

Can the seller take a picture of the power supply? If its a regular 5.5mm barrel plug i would feel safe using the light socket.

If the seller is not tech savvy and cant send pics maybe they can just read the specs on the power supply itself.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I bet it will work for reclining. If it has massage and heat it will be close. Be smart about it and measure or look up specs. I do think you could safely recline up and down without being a fire risk. I did a quick search and the 12v converter sure doesnt look big. Might only be 5a.

A different Thomas recliner comes with a little 2amp converter. Makes me think the recline feature only pulls around 1amp per chair....roughly.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Google Thomas Payne seat peeling.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
No guessing. As said above.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Only way to tell is for you to determine the light's wire gauge and the draw of the loveseat. I'm betting the wire is inadequate.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Probably not. You need to know the wattage draw of the love seat. Then decide the wire size and fuse size of the circuit. The wattage of the motors will be on a label on the motors. Use the wattage to figure the amp draw.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.