cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dayton, Ohio - ME

Debbie
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a long trip this summer. Actually, starting from OK. need help with Dayton, Ohio leaving July 16th.then traveling to Maine but also covering some states that I haven't been in and want to mark off on my Bucket list. Want to cover these states. PA, WV, Delaware, RI, NH, Conn, NJ, Mass, Vermont.

First, we would like to stay of toll roads if possible with RV. On Trip Planner we were looking at Dayton,OH dropping down to somewhere Morgantown,WV, then Haggerstown, then up to around Gettysburg,Harrisburg,Hershey,PA we figured we could stay somewhere in the area and see Gettysburg and Hershey. Then to Binghamton, N.Y to Kingstons, NY I-81-Hwy 28. Then to Manchester,Conn. to Pawtucket,RI. to Portsmouth,NH or Portland,ME arriving in Trenton,ME by the 11th of Aug. These towns we just put in to get Trip Planner to cover some of the states and not just drive straight to Maine.

These are short drives and we can lengthen the drives. Just not familiar with the states Delaware, Conn, RI, NJ avoiding big cities as Boston, New York, maybe camping in one or two spots and doing day drives if needed. Use to states like CA, TX so I know they aren't that big to drive to or through. We don't have any special agenda to see anyone or thing. Would like suggestions roads to take or avoid, or areas etc. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks Deb

Your probably wondering about the other states listed on my Bucket list. After leaving Trenton, ME. we will be traveling back down thru NH and Vermont to the finger lakes in NY. Then Erie,PA etc.
I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!
2 REPLIES 2

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
To avoid Boston you can take either 128/95 or 495 around the city. Where you are headed will determine which one is better. Many prefer 495 even if it's further out. Both have nasty traffic, especially at rush hour. If you don't have campground reservations I'd make them, especially for holiday weekends. You will be hard pressed to find open sites last minute. You trip sounds quite ambitious but also vague-it's a bit hard to help without at least some idea of how long you want to stay in each spot and what you'd like to see. Also keep in mind we talk about distance in terms of time, not miles.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Toll roads are the norm in the east and you'll encounter lots of construction too. Drivers in the East are much less courteous that in the mid west but then you'll find that out. Camping is also expensive.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB