Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newby questions

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning,
Name is Steve. New to the forum, and don't have an RV yet. I did a search, but didn't really get the info I was looking for. Need some help deciding between a TT or MH. Wife and I are in our 60's, kids out of the house and looking for a medium sized TT or Class C MH. We can afford either of these used. We would like to use it for vacations, not as full timers, even after we retire.

I've driven some trucks and a Class A MH over the years, so I don't suspect I would have trouble driving a class C. The only trailer I've pulled regularly was a 16 ft boat. I did okay with the boat, but I was no pro either. But I was able to quickly see when I was doing something wrong, and could start over without causing a fiasco.

So, I have no tow vehicle, which prohibits me from renting a trailer to take it out and see how it feels. I can afford a used tow vehicle, and frankly, it might be nice having a pickup truck around for trips to Home depot, etc...

So I guess I'm asking if anyone else has been in my boat and what did you decide, and are you happy with your decision? Backing a trailer seems a bit daunting, but what the heck, if others can learn, I'm sure I can also.
22 REPLIES 22

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
deleted by user....

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
The east expensive way to go is a truck and trailer. Since you have not had a RV before, it is a good way to learn what you like and do not like.

It is more comfortable to travel in a motorized RV pulling a car. It is easy to access the bathroom and set up.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
As you see, lots of pros and cons to any type. Probably agree that a pull behind trailer gives the most space and bang for the buck but I still prefer a MH overall but that's pretty well covered above. They do cost more but by carefully buying used you can get initial cost pretty close. Someone said that trailer backing is easy. Not really but depends on the length and your instincts and experience. Also, unless the trailer is very small, you need something pretty hefty to tow it; therefore, possibly a need for an additional vehicle.
Jayco-noslide

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Folks rv for different reasons. We love to camp, but like exploring when we get to our destination. We used to have a 23 ft class c, but it was a real pain to break camp to explore each day. We didn’t have a toad, so the 7.5 mpg mh was all we had. It was impossible to park in a town.

We are now on our second tt. It is just under 20’, but perfect for the two of us. Our F150 tows it with ease and gets >20 mpg when not towing. I can park it anywhere.

There are definitely advantages to each type of rv, you just need to determine which works best for you.

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
As far as backing up in a travel trailer it's actually easier than backing a boat trailer since it doesn't react as quickly so you have time to make corrections. Also, it helps to keep a sense of humor and not worry about what the other campers think of your abilities. Many of them have been in your shoes. After five years of traveling cross-country we love our trailer.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't like the idea of towing and don't want or need a big camper you could always look at truck campers. No trailer to tow and no extra vehicle maintenance that comes with a motor home and you have your pick up for your Home Depot runs.

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
We have had 2 5th wheels and now a 24 ft. Class C. With the 5'vrs we had a 20+ft.
truck and a 30ft & 32ft. 5th wheels. Great to have the truck as a driver when we dropped off the 5'vr at a campground. But with the 24 ft. Class C we really don't need a separate driver vehicle-can pretty much take it anywhere. If we do need to go without the Class C we have used Uber or Enterprise Rent A Car. Also, we pay less Ins., less fuel, less maintenance, etc., less purchase price. My D.W. is comfortable driving the Class C-definitely wasn't driving the truck pulling the 5'vr. As others have mentioned-setting up a Class C at a campground-about 15 minutes-setting up the 5'vr including unhitching about 30-45 minutes. Also, we bought a 1 year old Class C so most of the wrinkles had been ironed out by previous owner-but was still under Factory Warranty on the Chevy truck and camper.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I told folks I planed to retire into the RV life.. Ditch the sticks and bricks and go full time.. I was advised to get a TT. not a 5ER or a Motor home but a TT.. I ignored that advice and here is why.

My Class A is 38 Feet. I get 7-8MPG towing my car.. About what folks with a like size trailer (Either type) get... But when I unhook the car and run to the store for Supplies. or to Church. or the Doctor. my 2001 Neon does 25MPG more or less.

That pick up... bob tail. will be doing good if it hits 20

And if I traded in the neon on a current model. 30-40
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

Looking back over the years I wish we would’ve went the MH route from the beginning! Much easier for bathroom lunch stops as well as having the interior cold when you arrive somewhere. A trailer takes quite a while to cool down when it’s in the 90’s.

There's also the advantage of not needing to go outside if you arrive at your destination in a downpour.....LOL!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
The best advice we received was this: if you are a sightseer, moving to a different location every day, a motorhome is best. If you are a vacationer, going to a destination park for a weekend (or longer) - a trailer gives you more room.

Our first RV was a 28' Class C, which we used variously with or without a toad for 10 years as we visited as much of the US and Canada as we could reach! It was perfect for that. When toadless, you learn to pick up needed supplies before you get to the RV park; and we rented a car for visits to National Parks where parking is difficult at scenic turnouts, for example.

We also used the Class C to pull Ed's drag race truck to the track where it served as chuckwagon and nap place for the grandkids. Also was handy as a tailgater at grandkid sports events; or simply to haul a pile of kids to the park, where it offered a clean place to snack or use the potty.

Then we wanted to dabble with Snowbirding for several weeks at a time; and we went with a 5th wheel, which seemed mammoth in comparison....LOL! But that left us with a huge vehicle as our daily driver; and there's downsides to that if you like to explore little out-of-the-way places.

Once you figure out HOW you want to RV, the decision gets a bit easier 🙂
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
To me, it depends on type of camper you are. There are destination people: they drive to wherever, set up and spend a week or two. Type two is the tourer: two, maybe three days in one spot and we get happy feet (wheels). Gotta go on and see what's around the next bend.
We are type two people (tourers) and move about frequently. If we're almost out of milk, no big deal, we'll be on the road tomorrow or so.
We have a 22"B+ and no toad. We prefer to be mobile.
Just the two of us in our early 70's and checking out this great country of ours.
Hope this helps.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife and I were just tuning sixty,no kids, when we decided to start RVing. That was 4 years ago. We decided to rent a class C that would be about the size we could afford. Rented a 22 ft Class C with no slides and took it out through Northern New England and upstate New York for 2 weeks. We really enjoyed ourselves. Went out and bought a new 22 ft Class C no slides. Since then we have taken 3 cross country trips (10 weeks or so each) and have toured all over the Northeast. What we do when we arrive at a destination and plan to sight see for a few days is to rent a car for a day or 2. This 22ft is a smaller class C but it works for us.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I would go the MH route. Then you can still have a small car as an everyday driver. You will need a dolly unless your current one(s) are flat towable.

Looking back over the years I wish we would’ve went the MH route from the beginning! Much easier for bathroom lunch stops as well as having the interior cold when you arrive somewhere. A trailer takes quite a while to cool down when it’s in the 90’s.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
catkins wrote:
MHs have advantages over trailers in other ways -
better storage in most MHs, better insulation often, larger tank storage capacities often, better visibility our windows, snf onboard generator vs portable to name a few.

And whey you're rolling down the interstate and encounter a five mile backup of stopped traffic, you can access your food, drink and bathroom without leaving your vehicle. Ask your DW if she thinks that is an advantage. 😉