cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram 2500 - which towing features are best/good/unnecessary?

audiodane
Explorer
Explorer
Hi again,

As stated on another thread, we're looking to upgrade out Expedition EL to a Ram 2500 (or 3500), years 2014 or newer.. We're looking at getting a fifth wheel (9-12k gvwr). We plan to start small (north alabama destinations) but hope to work our way up to cross-country trips over the coming 18 months.

Which of these features are "must have's" or "nice to have's" so that we can more easily search through available vehicles (and prices!) to find the right one? Also, are there any that I missed that we should be aware of / considering?

* 5th wheel prep package
As I understand it, this is the 5-point "puck" style holes in the bed. While trucks have been outfitted for FW's aftermarket-style for generations, I understand the factory prep package makes it really easy to install/remove a FW hitch in under an hour, where aftermarket systems may take multiple hours to install/remove just the hitch. (FWIW, this will be a daily driver car with approx one camper trip per month. Faster install/remove times are of course desirable.)

* cargo bed camera
We're looking at a crew-cab, so I'm not sure how easily I'll be able to see "all the things" through the rear window when hooking up the camper. I'm sure there are aftermarket options available here, but also unsure if it's even necessary?

* auto-level air suspension
I forget exactly what Ram calls it, but apparently after the camper is attached, the truck magically levels itself by inflating the air bags to the right amount. I again imagine this is available after-market, but I'm not sure which is better, easier, etc? Or if it's really needed at all?

* exhaust brake
This wikipedia article says that it helps slow the truck+camper when on a long downhill inclines so that you don't have to ride the brake pedal as much. Is this a "must have?" Is this a factory only option? We will be looking at cross-country journeys in the coming 18 months..

* bed length
Just a placeholder so it doesn't get asked -- we're prepared to get an auto-slider hitch if we get a short bed. I don't think we need to limit ourselves to a long-bed (most crew cabs out there are short bed).

* any others?
Are there any other features (factory or aftermarket) that we should be looking at?

* where to buy?
Not a feature per-se, but ... where are the best places to look for a used tow vehicle, other than the typical autotrader / cargurus / etc websites? Is there a "secret hangout" where folks moving up or down in camper rigs sell their vehicles? I imagine that happens fairly often as needs/wants change over time!

thanks in advance!
..dane
2018 Ram 3500 CC SB 4x4 SRW
52 REPLIES 52

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nope! Wish it would default to last time driven.

I think harshness is subjective. Some donโ€™t want to feel a transmission shift. I like a firm shift.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

audiodane
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any way to engage TH and EB automagically? Otherwise will likely often "not think about it" around town ... ๐Ÿ˜ž Will have to form that habit.. but if it could be done automatically-- even better!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't run the TH 100% of the time because on my 2012 it made for a harsher shifting tranny. Around town it was annoying.
Maybe the new Rams are better in TH 100% of the time.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
More line pressure in trans, holds proper gear, keeps turbo working properly and running the hell out of it at the beginning makes the trans a unit that will not give unfavorable experience.

Learned this from many people doing this over the years being a paying member of the TDR. The Service Manager at dave Smith told me to do so also when buying my 11 HO DRW. Never did I have shifting issues or did I ever have fuel in my oil samples as many did.

YUP brakes will last well over 100k.

To make real use of the EB TH has to be engaged also.

Picture of trans pan at 65k towing well over 1/2 miles at 28-29K with over 50k on the AMZ/OIL ATF.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
audiodane wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Run TH, EB and run the hell out of it! Itโ€™s a learning trans and doing so will give you much better trans performance.

HA! I have *NO* idea what that means! Drive around with Tow Haul and Exhaust Brake on just for the heck of it even when going to the grocery store? Why? What will that do? How will it give better performance?

And more importantly, where did you learn that?

thanks!
..dane

I never ran my CTD in TH mode but did run with the EB on 100% of the time. It saves on brake wear and is great at slowing you down when you need to without having to use the brakes.

I run the TH, and the EB all the time, it holds 4th gear at 40 mph ,where as running without TH, it shifts to fifth, and seems to lug with the 3:42 gears.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
audiodane wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Run TH, EB and run the hell out of it! Itโ€™s a learning trans and doing so will give you much better trans performance.

HA! I have *NO* idea what that means! Drive around with Tow Haul and Exhaust Brake on just for the heck of it even when going to the grocery store? Why? What will that do? How will it give better performance?

thanks!
..dane

I never ran my CTD in TH mode but did run with the EB on 100% of the time. It saves on brake wear and is great at slowing you down when you need to without having to use the brakes.

audiodane
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

thanks!
..dane

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

audiodane
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks @transferred! We are super excited! ๐Ÿ˜„ And I know it's only a $100 option, but my wife could easily tell how super duper excited I was to see those cab lights. lol! ๐Ÿ˜„

Yeah, only the 68RFE. I really dont' know the difference, actually, but all three 2018's on the lot with the 6th seat in the front all had the 68RFE. Not sure if that ends up being a mileage thing, longevity thing, torque thing, or some other thing though.. ??

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
audiodane wrote:
Me Again wrote:
audiodane wrote:

.... We spent more than we originally planned, but God is good and we're extremely happy and excited. It's loaded, too. Laramie, leather, 5th prep, air suspension, ... all the "tow" things.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Gorgeous truck brother. Can't beat a BRAND NEW 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel. They even remembered to spec the cab lights. Many happy miles of towing ahead - you got a beast.

Out of interest, both trand/tunes work great but are you Aisin or 68RFE?
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

audiodane
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
audiodane wrote:
Not sure if the picture is coming through... (what's the best way to post photos here?) ... but I did add it to my profile today. ๐Ÿ˜„

Not sure how to include it as a sig line though...

Use this and paste the results.
RV.Net photo posting

Oh! Thanks! I will bookmark that page! ๐Ÿ˜„ Previous post updated!

..dane

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
audiodane wrote:
Not sure if the picture is coming through... (what's the best way to post photos here?) ... but I did add it to my profile today. ๐Ÿ˜„

Use this and paste the results.
RV.Net photo posting
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

audiodane
Explorer
Explorer

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
The bed camera is of little value for hooking up a fifth wheel but is nice for backing up to a gooseneck with a ball hitch. On the rare occasion it comes in handy if, while driving down the highway you want to use it to check on your cargo.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5