cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hocking Hills SP

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
DW has her heart set on visiting Hocking Hills SP second week of June. We did manage to get one of the four remaining sites for our chosen time slot. We are NOT destination Campers and just sit for a week or so. We have four days slated. Is that over kill for this park? We like to hike, but are asthmatics with bad knees! I guess we can find things to see & do around there.
We also plan to spend a couple of days at CARTER CAVES STATE RESORT PARK and again are looking for things to see and do. We have a 22" motorhome and no toad and can fit into most sites/parking lots.
Thanks,
Gotta keep She Who Must Be Obeyed happy.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
7 REPLIES 7

Wardster
Explorer
Explorer
We live pretty close to this park and will occasionally spend a night or two at the campground. From the park you can access the Old Man's Cave trail head just below the loop located at the end of the road where the tent camping sites are located. This will enable you to see quite a bit of the park, including the upper and lower falls and Cedar Falls. Considering your bum knees and asthma, you should also check out Ash Cave, which is located a few miles from the campground, but it is still within the State Park. The trail is paved for handicap access and the cave is a short level walk back that is definitely worth the visit. Other sites within the park worth visiting is Conkles Hollow, Rock House, and the recently opened John Glenn Astronomy Park.

There are a handful of good places to eat in nearby Logan, Ohio. We really like Millstone BBQ, Hungry Buffalo, Maya Burrito Company, and Pizza Crossing.
2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

ohiomike
Explorer
Explorer
We visited Hocking Hills last fall and loved it. You definitely can spend 4 days there and not run out of things to do. We crammed our trip over a weekend but would have loved a few more days to stay. The state park campground was fine and we didn’t even have full hookups. Enjoy the trip.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Hocking Hills was named Old Mans Cave previously. The entrance is easy to miss. The park is outstanding and the caves are nice. Not much there but nature.

In Lancaster, not a far drive is the Sherman House and several other historic sites. Athens with Ohio U is also not far. Laurelville and its apple cider is also not far. Lake Logan and Lake Alma are also not far.

In Canal Winchester is a Doll Museum and the National Barber Museum. It is about 40 miles from HHSP.

Give me a yell when you get there I am not far nd could answer specific q's for you.

garmp wrote:
DW has her heart set on visiting Hocking Hills SP second week of June. We did manage to get one of the four remaining sites for our chosen time slot. We are NOT destination Campers and just sit for a week or so. We have four days slated. Is that over kill for this park? We like to hike, but are asthmatics with bad knees! I guess we can find things to see & do around there.
We also plan to spend a couple of days at CARTER CAVES STATE RESORT PARK and again are looking for things to see and do. We have a 22" motorhome and no toad and can fit into most sites/parking lots.
Thanks,
Gotta keep She Who Must Be Obeyed happy.

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Hocking Hills is a nice campground but expect it to be packed and noisy. I have not been there since they renovated the campground and converted a lot of sites to FHU, but if you want a level site without a huge drop off from the pad forget it without a scout trip, not many exist. The campground is on top of a narrow ridge and the hill coming up is very interesting. The 3 times we were there the sites were dirty with accumulated trash and dogshit which we had to pick up from the previous user. They had multiple camp hosts that appeared to do nothing but ride around in golf carts or Gators.

In mid June unless its a wet spring the waterfalls will be down to a trickle. Most of the cave areas are probably not something you want to access with bad knees, maybe Ash cave which has level access but about 1/4 mile hike. Take everything with you as there is not much in the way of stores and its a fair drive to Logan.

Hopefully during the reno they moved the dumpsters which were scattered all over the campground. Hope your site is not next to one of those as they would be overflowing come Sunday afternoon and are emptied at 5 AM Tuesday. Another thing is the campground has a large raccoon population, so do not leave anything out or they'll have it.

sbell2003
Explorer
Explorer
That is one of my favorites. Many places to visit in the area where you can take some short hikes and enjoy great scenery. There is an astronomy facility just up the road run by the local friends group that is worth checking out.
2019 KZ Durango Gold 356RLT
2018 RAM 3500 Dually

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Hocking Hills State Park is very nice. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy a hike down into the falls area. While we didn't stay in the campground, we didn't have our 5er at the time, we did drive through the campground, be prepared for some sloping sites as I don't recall a lot of level ones. It did look like a nice campground though. Lot of beautiful country in the area

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We never stayed at Hocking Hills.We stayed at Buck Creek Lake State Park which is a little northeast of Dayton. That was very nice. The only thing I know in the area is the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson near Dayton. We did stay at Carter Caves. Decent Campground and several caves to tour.