cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight/tow capacity question....

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
This seems to answer itself, yet I'd like to know if I'm right or wrong. A trailer ad says:

Base weight: 3936 lbs
Carry capacity 1864 lbs

So I assume that means my tow vehicle must be able to pull 5800 lbs (both values added together)
8 REPLIES 8

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
dockmasterdave wrote:
I won't go over about 80% of what the factory says it can tow, for fully loaded trailer weight. There is "it can tow it" and then there is "it tows it comfortably and I will actually use it". If it is not comfortable to tow, why buy it ?

the 80% idea was IMHO appropriate 20 years ago. Back then towing at capacity often meant turning off overdrive and grunting up hills at 45mph or so.

IMHO at least trucks built in the last 10 years or more are pretty capable of running at GCVWR comfortably accelerating decently, towing hills fine. The newer engines and drivetrains have way more HP and torque than decades ago.

Often the biggest issue today is making sure you aren't over TV GVWR when you are below the claimed trailer weight limit. TV mfg assume 10% tongue weight and no cargo, while Trailer MFG design for 15% or so tongue weight. So it is easy to go over TV max tongue weight before you hit Trailer weight limit.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys!

What I took from the answers:

Use a vehicle that can tow more than the GVCC of the trailer.

Buy a tow vehicle with enough payload for the weight of passengers/gear in the tow vehicle/tongue weight/hitch weight.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
yes, gvcc is the number you should work with (weight of trailer and all the **** in it) stay withing your towing capacity but more so worry about carrying capacity (payload)

payload - tongue weight(gvcc x 0.13) - weight of everything in the car (including people) - weight of hitch (likely aroun 100 lbs) - any gear in the truck

for example my f150 has 1980 lbs payload and we will assume your trailer is 6000 loaded out (I round up for extra safety factor)

1980-780-500-100-0 = 600 left over

meaning I would be ok with a 600 lbsd payload. This is good so I can bring some firewood and bikes and coolers (beer is good but not light)
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
....and you are going to have about 800 lbs of tongue weight...
Payload of your tow vehicle is really more important than what it can tow.

x2!
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
....and you are going to have about 800 lbs of tongue weight...
Payload of your tow vehicle is really more important than what it can tow.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I won't go over about 80% of what the factory says it can tow, for fully loaded trailer weight. There is "it can tow it" and then there is "it tows it comfortably and I will actually use it". If it is not comfortable to tow, why buy it ?
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
Yes but don't be misled. That what the marketing material may say but the real live trailer may have a different weight depending on what options are installed.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My daughterโ€™s Volt can โ€œpullโ€ my TT but the Volt canโ€™t carry the weight of the trailer tongue, weight distribution hitch, stuff, passengers etc. Think payload as well as max trailer weight.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad