Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Verizon Jetpack 7730L

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I really like my Verizon 7730L hotspot.

Do any of you use an external antenna to get better reception from a tower that's a few miles away?

If so, what type of antenna?

Thanks
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
6 REPLIES 6

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I went with MIFI 2200 several years back working on 2G 3G platform and had it sitting in a WILSON SLEEK Cradel with a small external antenna... Being on the VERIZON CELL PHONE service really did great when I was off the Interstate roads and away from the large towns...

Google images

I had this cradle mounted up on the inside of my POPUP trailer near the roof behind the wrap around curtains... Was out of sight and provided excellent service for my needs for my 90% off-road camping...

This gave me a good 50-60 feet around my popup trailer using my other devices on the internet...

Of course the 2G SERVICE is not the way to go these days and I have long removed this setup from service...

I just recently got a new MIFI 6620L JETPACK unit through my VERIZON Cell Phone account and it works great taking on a few trips... This one has up to 4GB I think it is... Will most likely do the same thing for my trailer and get another WILSON CRADEL to match the new MIFI6620L...

I never had a lot of luck with WIFI signals at camp grounds etc... Having your own 'secured' HOT SPOT is the way to go for sure... The newer smart phones gives this as well but my old GIBBS flip cell phone doesn't support that haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
delete double post
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I rather go with an antenna on top of my travel trailer to start.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I never claimed it would do wonders but it doesn't cost much and it's done a good job for me. It's worth a try. If it doesn't do the job you need done, then you can go to the trouble of mounting a whip or a highly directional yagi or what ever floats your boat. This one's easy to stick on a window, plug in to the Jetpack and improves the signal strength.

Here's one for just over $12 on Ebay right now if you're willing to wait a couple of weeks for it to arrive from China.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/35dBi-Signal-Amplifier-4G-3G-Broadband-Mobile-External-Antenna-LTE-HUAWEI-T...
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
I'm using a Netgear Jetpack model AC791L. It works okay but I always connect it to a
Amazon.com wrote:
4G LTE Antenna TS9 Connector 35dbi High Gain Long Range Network with Suction Cup for 4G LTE Modem/Router/Hotspot with TS9 Connectors Mobile Broadband Outdoor Signal Booster(TS9)

It's a passive device and works wonderfully for me. It comes with a suction cup I use to stick it on the window and so far, I've never been without a signal. It'll give you an extra bar or so of signal strength and does't cost much. I've seen it for $15. Uses dual TS9 connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075J9R1BM/

I've got Verizon's phone "Unlimited" plan that throttles me after 15GB each month when I'm using it (I think FB is data hog) but, for my purposes, I get by just fine at the throttled speed. Still, it's false advertising to call it unlimited.

I use an external whip antenna and it gives somewhat better signal. The amazon may do better but I can almost guarantee it does NOT provide 35db of gain. Not from that kind of passive antenna, even a yagi highly directional antenna won't give that much gain.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using a Netgear Jetpack model AC791L. It works okay but I always connect it to a
Amazon.com wrote:
4G LTE Antenna TS9 Connector 35dbi High Gain Long Range Network with Suction Cup for 4G LTE Modem/Router/Hotspot with TS9 Connectors Mobile Broadband Outdoor Signal Booster(TS9)

It's a passive device and works wonderfully for me. It comes with a suction cup I use to stick it on the window and so far, I've never been without a signal. It'll give you an extra bar or so of signal strength and does't cost much. I've seen it for $15. Uses dual TS9 connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075J9R1BM/

I've got Verizon's phone "Unlimited" plan that throttles me after 15GB each month when I'm using it (I think FB is data hog) but, for my purposes, I get by just fine at the throttled speed. Still, it's false advertising to call it unlimited.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System