Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: We're you apprehensive going full-time?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> We're you apprehensive going full-time?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/19 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've toyed with the idea of going full time or having a seasonal up North and a site in the South with a small RV to travel.

Just wondering what was your deciding factor that made you take the leap into full timing?

arhayes

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/19 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We retired out of Dallas, but our kids were no longer in the area and both of our families are spread around the US. It made selling our home and leaving the area easy. We’d also been very mobile our entire lives as both of our dads had been career military plus we moved 11 times with my job. We did not know where we wanted to eventually end up, so part of our travel goal has been to find a place north and south that we love and eventually have 2 seasonal places. We have been looking for 5 years it are stil not ready to come off the road.

We did spend almost a year before we retired researching full-timing, so we’re pretty well versed when we started.

Good luck!

Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I retired at 50.......4 years later SHE retired at 50
Then we started planning our escape

1 year later we had our new truck/5th wheel (Sept 2006)
By the end of April 2007 we Hit the Road for our Full Time TRAVELING adventure (S&B and belongings SOLD)

We were excited to retire and even more excited to be released from the 'norms' of the old routine job/living rut
But when we pulled out off driveway for the last time.....we couldn't wipe the smiled off our faces

We spent the next 7 yrs traveling every week/2 weeks all over the USA.
12 trips coast to coast/border to border experiencing small town USA and rarely using the same route twice. And only visiting the same places on a few occasions

Our adventure was about 'traveling' not parking
YMMV

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/19 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've RV'ed for over 40 years and thought about full timing but have not. I don't know about apprehensive but some thoughts: If you own a home (gaining in value) any RV will depreciate a lot and quickly.So if you buy one now to FT it will suffer wear and tear and be worth little if you need to replace it in 15 years while a home will increase a lot during that time. Also, full-timing may not be economical in other ways unless you workamp or favor dry camping. Site rental could equal $1000/month apartment rental. Of course some of this applies to RVing if you don't full-time.

Jayco-noslide

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/19 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My RV is likely worth $150,000 less than when I bought it in '99. Money isn't everything and a loss of 10 or 15 thousand per year is worth every dollar I lost!
To answer the OP's question. No we were not the least bit apprehensive once we put together and plan and hit the road. We have been full time in a RV since 1997.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/19 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

We've RV'ed for over 40 years and thought about full timing but have not. I don't know about apprehensive but some thoughts: If you own a home (gaining in value) any RV will depreciate a lot and quickly.So if you buy one now to FT it will suffer wear and tear and be worth little if you need to replace it in 15 years while a home will increase a lot during that time. Also, full-timing may not be economical in other ways unless you workamp or favor dry camping. Site rental could equal $1000/month apartment rental. Of course some of this applies to RVing if you don't full-time.

Have you figured property taxes into your equation. 10 years of property tax at 5K a year is $50K.Thats 50K towards off setting that depreciation

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/19 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Have you figured property taxes into your equation. 10 years of property tax at 5K a year is $50K.Thats 50K towards off setting that depreciation

And maintenance. I just dropped almost 10k rebuilding a deck and really really need to start replacing windows [emoticon]

Ro"n"Joe

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/19 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not apprehensive at all and understand there will be a huge learning curve when we start. We begin our full time adventure this fall and have been wanting to do it for the past 15yrs. Read some books, follow bloggers and sites like this are great. I retire next month and DW retires in August. We want no strings attached with a sticks and bricks, look forward the freedom of full time travelling and seeing North America.

* This post was edited 05/12/19 12:14pm by Ro"n"Joe *

2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis (ordered)
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/19 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been on the road since 10/16. Still own property in Vermont, Nevada, and Pennsylvania. All properties are equipped with full hook ups for my rig, I use them as layovers during my travels. Buying my rig was best thing I ever did so far have put 142,000 miles on it. Been to Mexico ,Canada, Alaska and still traveling.

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/19 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those who say it's not about the money or something similar, either have a lot or have borrowed a lot.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> We're you apprehensive going full-time?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS