cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2 wheel dolly or flat tow?

Big_steve
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking 2 wheel dolly is the way to go. But as a newb who doesn't even have an RV yet, thought I'd check and see if I needed a slap upside the head.

Thinking of towing a Honda CRV behind a class C. CRV is wife's everyday driver, and will likely be replaced within a couple of years. I hate to spend a lot of money getting the car ready to flat tow, and then possibly having to do it over again in a couple of years. With setting up a car to flat tow already costing so much more, I figure buying a two wheel dolly would be a better way to go. Cheaper, and it should work with the next car.

But of course, y'all have "been there, done that" and I haven't. So am I missing anything?
24 REPLIES 24

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
JaxDad wrote:

When he found out that that rental, delivered to us, and ours to use for 3 days was going to cost $135 ($$45/day) and that was likely considerably LESS than the added cost of gas to drag a toad 3,000 miles round trip he was dumb-founded.

I've never noticed any real impact to MPG towing a car behind our MH. If it is it's negligible and certainly nowhere near $45/day. Just rough math tells me that if I avg 8 MPG without my car, and say for the sake of argument it impacts my MPG by 1 when I tow(which I doubt) bringing it to 7 mpg, travelling 300 miles/day with gas at $2.50, I would pay an extra $13 a day to bring my own car. That's $31 less than the rental. I would have to see a decline in performance down to almost 5mpg to achieve $45/day. But using your 3000 mile round trip still comes in at $133, which is still less and I've had my own car for 10 days - not 3. Never mind that I am still paying for my car and it's insurance anyway while it sits at home - so if I rent I am now paying for 2 cars, one of which is sitting in my driveway. I like to be self sufficient, and towing my car is not only easy and cheap but I never have to worry about not finding a rental, one that hasn't been smoked in, not finding an uber or even a breakdown on the road. Renting a car has it's merits and we've done it, but it's not cheaper than towing your own.

If I was a โ€˜flat-landerโ€™ I might agree, but for me, Toronto to Florida involves well over 1,000 miles of mountains.

Even if the gas money (never mind wear & tear, tires, tow hardware, etc., etc.) was the same, and itโ€™s not, not even close, the other issue for me is that a toad means I have to deal with 40+ hours of extra work driving, dealing with extra hassle of gassing up, etc., etc.

Also, because I normally travel for โ€˜workโ€™ (the DW calls it play) I fairly regularly have to tow a trailer, if not the entire (one way) distance at least a few hundred miles. Thatโ€™s impossible with a toad.

Iโ€™ve had a toad, and for me, itโ€™s NOT cheaper, or more convenient, or a workable solution.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Iโ€™m the โ€˜odd man outโ€™ I guess.....

I travel a LOT, over the course of a year, probably more than once a month, and Toronto to Florida probably 4 times a year. My average trip is 7 to 10 days.

Iโ€™d NEVER drag a car behind.

On a recent trip to Florida for an air show, a buddy who always brings a toad 4 down came along for a โ€˜boys tripโ€™. He was VERY surprised that I not only wasnโ€™t taking a toad, I flat out refused his offer of his.

When we got there and a nice young man arrived a few hours later with a shiny new Mercedes SUV rental car he got pensive.

When he found out that that rental, delivered to us, and ours to use for 3 days was going to cost $135 ($$45/day) and that was likely considerably LESS than the added cost of gas to drag a toad 3,000 miles round trip he was dumb-founded.

On many trips I never even get a car, when I canโ€™t get a ride but need one, Uber, Lyft or a taxi is just a couple of dollars.

Uber Lyft and rental cars are an option when you city camp. And for the short duration trips you do. 7-10 days FL to Toronto means youโ€™re piloting the RV most of the time anyway.
Just like most other claims on rvnet, itโ€™s fun to see how one personโ€™s unique to them experience is touted as THE way to do it.

I clearly said I was the odd man out, I did not say everyone must do it my way.

Youโ€™re math is flawed too, I get from Toronto to Florida generally in 1.5 days, 15 hours the first day, 7 the second. 3 days out of 7 is less than half, out of 10 itโ€™s less than a third. Certainly a lot less than โ€œmost of the timeโ€.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
JaxDad wrote:

I've never noticed any real impact to MPG towing a car behind our MH. If it is it's negligible and certainly nowhere near $45/day. Just rough math tells me that if I avg 8 MPG without my car, and say for the sake of argument it impacts my MPG by 1 when I tow(which I doubt) bringing it to 7 mpg, travelling 300 miles/day with gas at $2.50, I would pay an extra $13 a day to bring my own car. That's $31 less than the rental. I would have to see a decline in performance down to almost 5mpg to achieve $45/day. But using your 3000 mile round trip still comes in at $133, which is still less and I've had my own car for 10 days - not 3. Never mind that I am still paying for my car and it's insurance anyway while it sits at home - so if I rent I am now paying for 2 cars, one of which is sitting in my driveway. I like to be self sufficient, and towing my car is not only easy and cheap but I never have to worry about not finding a rental, one that hasn't been smoked in, not finding an uber or even a breakdown on the road. Renting a car has it's merits and we've done it, but it's not cheaper than towing your own.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JaxDad wrote:

I travel a LOT, over the course of a year, probably more than once a month, and Toronto to Florida probably 4 times a year. My average trip is 7 to 10 days.

On a recent trip to Florida for an air show, a buddy who always brings a toad 4 down came along for a โ€˜boys tripโ€™. He was VERY surprised that I not only wasnโ€™t taking a toad, I flat out refused his offer of his.

When we got there and a nice young man arrived a few hours later with a shiny new Mercedes SUV rental car he got pensive.

On many trips I never even get a car, when I canโ€™t get a ride but need one, Uber, Lyft or a taxi is just a couple of dollars.

Uber Lyft and rental cars are an option when you city camp. And for the short duration trips you do. 7-10 days FL to Toronto means youโ€™re piloting the RV most of the time anyway.
Just like most other claims on rvnet, itโ€™s fun to see how one personโ€™s unique to them experience is touted as THE way to do it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
I will never go back to a dolly if I didn't have to. I'd actually probably stop towing and rent a car.
I'd give serious consideration to a 5er.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
You didn't mention the year of your CRV but if it's 2015 or newer the question is moot. You can't tow it 4 down. Now if it's 2014 or older you are in luck as it's probably one of the most common cars that folks tow 4 down behind an RV.

As someone who has done both 4 down is not only easier, it's exponentially easier. We had a dolly with our civic because I had no choice. HUGE pain. Not only is it a pain to load the car it was almost impossible not to mention dirty to load when it was wet. I once cracked a piece of the Civic's lower body work when it slide sideways trying to load in the snow. After a few miles you have to stop to tighten the straps, you have to find a place to store it, some CG's won't let you store it on site, it can be heavy to move around, it's another set of wheels and hubs you have to maintain etc. Most folks that use dollys say it's not that big of a hassle and I say they are kidding themselves as it's usually the only option. Sure they have their merits but in no way does it compare to the ease of towing 4 down. If all cars could be towed 4 down dolly's would cease to exist. We tow our CRV 4 down, we use a ready brute elite tow bars with the integrated surge brake. I installed the blue ox base plates myself but I am fairly handy and have a lot of tools. Took about 4 hours - taking my time.

Hooking up is sooooo simple and quick. Per the CRV manual you have to let the car idle for 3 minutes and I am usually hooked up and waiting on that 3 minutes to expire with a minute to spare. 2 cables, one wire and 2 pins - done. I could probably do it in less than a minute. I will never go back to a dolly if I didn't have to. I'd actually probably stop towing and rent a car.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I initially had a box brake and installation/removal became a chore. Less of a issue if I was a snowbird with a few long trips/year but that is not our style.

The Invsibrake requires no hookup, no switch or anything. The Air Force 1 has a air hose to connect. Both require significant installation for a second car.

Light installation for various brake systems is basically the same for different cars.

Bob

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
We've done it all: flat-towed, dolly, no toad and rent-a-car. Since we have a used-car dealership, we constantly switch cars. Since most smaller cars are front-wheel drive, the dolly ($900 used) is the easiest solution. Its drawback? Ed invariably is on the ground on his back hooking up the all-important dolly-to-car safety chain. Its pros: lets us decide at the last minute which car we will bring along.

We flat-towed a couple of Wranglers. Hookup is easy (and "cleaner"); but there's still the "fiddling around" setting up the Brake Buddy, etc. Once you have the setup, switching the toad is just a matter of having new mounting brackets installed - but some brackets need to have the bumper cut for openings, etc. I did the math one year before we went to Florida for a few weeks: the small loss of MPGs by towing still was cheaper than renting a car; plus having a car available at the drop of a hat is pretty handy.

I do agree with Bobbo - maybe getting a new car now for your wife/specifically chosen to be a good toad, would be the best (cleanest) solution?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used a dolly for 3 years while I had a car that could not be flat towed. Then I bought a new car that can be flat towed, and flat towed for 7 years. I would do either one again if the need arose, but flat towing is, hands down, my preference. Given the option, I would not do anything but flat tow.

If you are thinking of replacing her car in the next couple of years, and you will be getting a car that can be flat towed when you do, it might make financial sense to go ahead and replace her car now, and set the new car up for flat towing. Buying a dolly is $2,000 to $5,000. If you do flat tow in your future, you would be lucky to get half of that back on selling the dolly.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
What year and what driveline in your CRV;
"Thinking of towing a Honda CRV behind a class C. CRV is wife's everyday driver, and will likely be replaced within a couple of years"
Our 12 CRV AWD can NOT be towed on a dolly, only 4 down (or on a trailer). Newer ones after 2014, with the new CVT transmission canNOT be towed behind a MH, either 2 down Dolly, or 4 down.
As for older models with the 4wd designation (as opposed to AWD), is a different storey again.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
REMCOTOWING.COM

FWIW, not all manual transmissions can be flat towed.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok first there are 5 types of cars
1: Can be towed 4-down by adding a aux braking system and tow bar system *nice)
1: Can not be towed 4 down AS DELIVERED but can be modified (I drive one)
3: Can not be towed 2 down (yes they make those)
4: Can not be towed 4 down PERIOD
5: Can not be towed with out special procedures even if towed on a trailer or flat bed tow truck (I will not name these but the "Special procedure" can be as simple as flipping a switch.

REMCO TOWING USA (delete spaces add dot com) is the expert on what can and not be towed. NOT the final word but odds are they will know. Go to their store and enter your car's vital stats (Year make model engine tranny F/R/4/A wheel drive and the like

Then see what they say.

Now 4 Down is by far easier.. IF YOU CAN DO IT.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP, Buy a used dolly and decide what to do when you get the next car.

2014 was the last year to flat tow a CRV. Some cars cannot be dolly towed, check your current CRV and the next car.

Flat tow setup with tow bar, lights and aux brake can be expensive but used equipment and DIY can offset the cost.

We flat towed a 04 CRV for 14 years. Bought the Jeep used fully set up for flat tow, approved by DW. But then DW didn't want it as a daily driver - so bought her a different car... Hence the Jeep was the most expensive flat tow EVER. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Bob