cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

single or dually

Goofasap_
Explorer
Explorer
We will soon be investing in a fifth wheel, 11~12,000 ish lbs. or less and a 1ton truck.
I would like to see what first hand experiences have to say as to a single TV. I realize the safety,driver comfort and security of a dually as we have towed a 36' fifth wheel with one previously, but want to know more of experiences of the single.
50 REPLIES 50

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
hot rod wrote:
I wonder how many of the comments about length of CC are due to the younger people knowing only the smaller cars of today. For us older ones who remember and drove the cars of the late 50's thru 70's especially Buick, Olds, Pontiac and Caddy they really aren't much different in size. Plus back then you needed to know how to parallel park which now for many is a thing of the past

I agree, I learned to drive a 59 Ford Galaxy Four door sedan, big car!
Both daughters learned in our 79 F250 Club Cab LB, youngest took her driving test in it and aced parallel parking. We just did a little backing practice with her 2004 Ram 3500 DRW and 30’ four horse slant GN trailer. She just did a nice job of a parallel park with it also.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

hot_rod
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
Young folks do not know how to drive BIG twucks! or emanual transmissions! hot rod does not know my kids. My eldest daughters learned with my 05 dually dmax crew cab! Both took drivers test in the 2000 reg cab pickup I have. Granted both are autos. BUT, BOTH can drive manual transmissions. Sons drove my 96 crew cab with a 5 sp manual. They also drive my navistar that is longer than a pickumup!
Yes, some do not know how to drive things longer than a prius. Many probably can in reality. Especially those with parent that have longer rigs.

I'll take a rig with super singles over a dual rear rig if I had a choice.

Marty

Go back and read what I wrote. I never said young people don't know how to drive bigger vehicles I questioned whether or not that was the reason for many thinking that trucks such as a CC dually were so big. I also never mention driving a stick. Good for your kids they are not the average unless in a farming area. Back in the mid 80's when she was 15 my daughter was driving a CC with an 11' camper pulling a 4 horse trailer. But I now have a couple of grand daughters who are in their 20's who don't even care to get a drivers license.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
hot rod wrote:
A 69 Comet wasn't a full size car it was an intermediate. My CC dually isn't over 22' long it's just under that and just over 2' longer than a 69 Caddy. Some people shouldn't drive anything bigger than a Prius as they aren't comfortable doing so to others it's no big deal. Just like mountain driving some are fine others aren't.

One day in 2013 my DW told me I was spending over $700 a month on gas for the truck using it on my service route. I joked with her that I was going to buy a Prius. She started looking online and within a month, I loaded over 200 lbs of tools and parts into my new Prius Xsp. Not only did I go from 12-14mpg to 53~mpg, it fit in places the F250 didn’t. It’s not the smallest car out there by far at 15ft long and 6ft wide and 3100 lbs but it works for a lot of apps. Wife drove the F250 to work until I retired and we traded back. At almost 100k miles, the Prius has been a good car.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

blt2ski
Young folks do not know how to drive BIG twucks! or emanual transmissions! hot rod does not know my kids. My eldest daughters learned with my 05 dually dmax crew cab! Both took drivers test in the 2000 reg cab pickup I have. Granted both are autos. BUT, BOTH can drive manual transmissions. Sons drove my 96 crew cab with a 5 sp manual. They also drive my navistar that is longer than a pickumup!
Yes, some do not know how to drive things longer than a prius. Many probably can in reality. Especially those with parent that have longer rigs.

I'll take a rig with super singles over a dual rear rig if I had a choice.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

hot_rod
Explorer
Explorer
A 69 Comet wasn't a full size car it was an intermediate. My CC dually isn't over 22' long it's just under that and just over 2' longer than a 69 Caddy. Some people shouldn't drive anything bigger than a Prius as they aren't comfortable doing so to others it's no big deal. Just like mountain driving some are fine others aren't.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
hot rod wrote:
I wonder how many of the comments about length of CC are due to the younger people knowing only the smaller cars of today. For us older ones who remember and drove the cars of the late 50's thru 70's especially Buick, Olds, Pontiac and Caddy they really aren't much different in size. Plus back then you needed to know how to parallel park which now for many is a thing of the past

My first car was a ‘69 Mercury Comet Sport Coupe. What car from that era was over 22’ long and over 8’ wide? I have a Harley that’s older than some members here. I have no problem parallel parking, backing a trailer or driving a standard trans vehicle. That doesn’t remove the fact that a CC long bed dually is cumbersome in a tight parking lot. :B

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hannibal wrote:
The length of a crew cab long bed makes it far more cumbersome in tight places than the hips of a dually.

"No Hill For a Climber"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe one day they will put Super Singles on pickup trucks and do away with the DRW as we know it.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

hot_rod
Explorer
Explorer

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
The length of a crew cab long bed makes it far more cumbersome in tight places than the hips of a dually.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Putting extended reach valve stems on dually tires is a PITA, particularly if one rotates tires often"

I use a double ended chuck. Simply push to inflate inner tire and pull to inflate outer. EZ-CHEEZY
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
If body size/style is equal (i.e. LB SRW vs. LB DRW)
- Dually is a bit more trouble to park, not really a big deal, but a little more careful approach
- Putting extended reach valve stems on dually tires is a PITA, particularly if one rotates tires often
- Dually setup has noticeably less traction in snow and ice all other things being equal

If you need or might need the carrying/pulling capacity, get the dually: the above issues aren't terribly significant. If you're sure you won't need the capacity, go with the SRW.

Simple. 🙂
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
4youngs1 wrote:
Love the dually, just remember the fenders do not stick out any further than your mirrors.

I’ve never seen a DRW where the fenders could be folded in like the mirrors can.

I guess that isn’t true. They can be folded in. They just can’t be folded back out as easily.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

4youngs1
Explorer
Explorer
Love the dually, just remember the fenders do not stick out any further than your mirrors.