cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kia Soul as a dinghy

RVROSE
Explorer
Explorer
The 2019 Kia Soul Base with manual transmission has been listed as a possible dinghy tow vehicle. We went to a dealership to check it out. All the 2019's have been sold but they had a lot of 2020 models, including 3 with manual transmissions. Drove it, liked it, put it on our short list of possible tow cars. The salesman assured us that mechanically the 2019 and 2020 models were absolutely identical. The only changes were cosmetic, some things in the interior and some styling changes with the tail lights on the exterior. BUT, when I checked the car manual, the 2020 version is NOT recommended for dinghy towing 4 wheels down. The salesman was flummoxed and didn't know what to say. No one in the service area could help him. I told him I'd take it to a higher authority, RV.NET. If nothing has changed, does that mean the 2019 and the models that came before it are also NOT Recommended for 4 wheel down towing?

He had a 2016 Soul stick shift on the lot that we also drove. The manual did not say it could not be towed 4 wheels down, so we took that as meaning it could be towed.

Please help me out on this. There are fewer and fewer available tow vehicles every year. We want to get one while they still exist. Our older tow vehicle might only have a few more trips in it's soul, so what about the Kia Soul?
2005 Kountry Star with a 4 cyl. Saturn Vue with stick shift.
Mike and Rose and Pepper, our All-American black lap dog.
18 REPLIES 18

H8W8N
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted a Soul to replace an older CR-V. I emailed Kia Consumer Assistance Center to ask about flat towing a 2021 Soul with manual trans. I was issued a case number, #14198835, while they researched the question. They replied with a yes, the manual is able to be towed 4 down behind my Hurricane. I also found a TSB from Kia that has the proper procedures for towing a manual or DCT FWD Kia.
Lt. Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M

RVROSE
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the original poster on this topic and it is good to see the question is still being considered. I solved my problem by finding a 2016 Soul with manual transmission that had less than 12,000 miles. So, in a way my problem got solved for the time being.

The first one to respond to my question was T18skyguy and he warned us about a GDI. Well, my Soul does have that, so I'll find time to worry about that issue later.

We went to e-trailer and outfitted the Soul with Roadmaster gear and are happy with it. My son-in-law is a lot handier than I am and enjoyed the installation project. They had a video as well as printed instructions and he used both and got it all done. I stood by and fetched tools for him.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever received confirmation on this or is actually flat towing a 2020? thanks.

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
That owner's manual certainly doesn't leave any doubt as to Kia's instructions on towing behind an RV.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Call Kia customer service and get the straight answer. You might be able to tow it anyway but it will probably void your warranty without their blessing. An option would be to find a 2019 model. They're out there.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

mikeintn
Explorer
Explorer
pequeajim wrote:
The 2020 manual states that you can't your it 4 down, but that is for the automatic, not manual. Manual can be towed. Just make sure you run a charge cable for the battery.

I've been looking since they are running deals etc. But I can't get a straight answer on this. Where are you getting that information? All I can find in the owners manual is don't do it.
2020 Kia Soul Owners Manual page 6-24
Mike, Cindy, Chris and Spunky the Cocker Spaniel & Naro the cat
2002 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38 PST
Cummings 330
Onan 7500 Watt Generator
Master Tow 80THD tow dolly
2009 Mini Cooper S Toad

pequeajim
Explorer
Explorer
The 2020 manual states that you can't your it 4 down, but that is for the automatic, not manual. Manual can be towed. Just make sure you run a charge cable for the battery.
Holiday Rambler Arista & Jeep Liberty Toad

RVROSE
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy, you really packed a lot of information into your response. Many thanks!

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 Kia Soul, and before I bought it I researched vigorously the issue. Kia did issue a TSB that it is ok to tow 4 down with the manual trans in neutral, and the key set to acc. The manual says nothing about it(as is usually the case) Be aware the 2020's are different in a couple of good ways. The base model with the stick shift is the one you want, and they are now putting the 2.0 liter in the base model instead of the 1.6 liter I have. That will be a nice improvement since the only complaint I have is not enough power when you get 3 people in it. The other difference is they have gone back to port injection instead of GDI(gas direct injection). There are problems with GDI in many different makes of cars, too much to explain here, but if you would like to know more go to youtube and search GDI problems. Don't buy a car with GDI unless it's a Toyota that uses two injectors per cylinder. With my Soul I use a Roadmaster base plate with a Demco Dominator tow bar, and an independent lighting system. The Roadmaster base plate is good, but if you can get a Blue Ox that's good also and a bit less weight I believe. Go to e-trailer and see what they advise for a 2020 Soul. You never know there may have been a slight frame change.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

cooper841
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2010 Kia Soul Manuel.Been towing for years.Great tow car no issue.
Dana Cooper
Chipper(Lab)
2007 Fleetwood Fiesta LX
2003 Harley Fatboy mighty hauler lift
2010 Kia Soul

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Can't help with the towing question but I can give a big thumbs up to the Kia Soul as an overall vehicle. My company has one we use basically for a delivery vehicle and it's been great for the last 5+ years. Reliable, good visibility, easy to drive and lots of bang for the buck.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
time for a tow dolly?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
RVROSE wrote:
To STBRetired, I see your point. KIA could be saying we don't want to warranty vehicles with "invisible" miles so we will say the car is NOT towable anymore.

I have posed my question to Kia directly and I'm waiting for their answer. I saw that the Soul Base was listed by FMCA for 2019, so that's why we checked it out. None available, drove the 2020 and liked it, but afterwards I checked the owner's manual and found that flat towing was NOT recommended.

Thinking he had the sale all wrapped up (which might have been true) the salesman was not happy with what I found and lost the sale. Now, he's waiting for Monday to check with his "higher" authorities.
Don't hold your breath. Kia is not going to give an individual a back door approval to flat tow.
I am surprised any manufacturer specifically allows flat towing. The market is incredibly small and the risks high. We catch people pulling out with the brakes, steering or transmission engaged regularly. To a big diesel pusher the drag is not noticable to the driver. That cannot be good for any of the car's systems and I doubt should those towing mistakes lead to failures while the vehicle is under warranty that the owner would readily admit it was their fault. The downside for the manufacturer sure seems much greater than the upside.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, could be a decision made for "other than mechanical reasons". Lawyers and bean counters are making more and more corporate decisions-- a fact of life.

But (actually large BUT), no sure I would consider a brand new vehicle and immediately void the warranty by modifying/operating it against manufacturer's recommendations.

Yes, I understand that the warranty would still apply to all components whose failure the manufacturer could not suggest were caused by towing, but.......
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/