Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Kia Soul as a dinghy
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Kia Soul as a dinghy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/19 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2018 Kia Soul, and before I bought it I researched vigorously the issue. Kia did issue a TSB that it is ok to tow 4 down with the manual trans in neutral, and the key set to acc. The manual says nothing about it(as is usually the case) Be aware the 2020's are different in a couple of good ways. The base model with the stick shift is the one you want, and they are now putting the 2.0 liter in the base model instead of the 1.6 liter I have. That will be a nice improvement since the only complaint I have is not enough power when you get 3 people in it. The other difference is they have gone back to port injection instead of GDI(gas direct injection). There are problems with GDI in many different makes of cars, too much to explain here, but if you would like to know more go to youtube and search GDI problems. Don't buy a car with GDI unless it's a Toyota that uses two injectors per cylinder. With my Soul I use a Roadmaster base plate with a Demco Dominator tow bar, and an independent lighting system. The Roadmaster base plate is good, but if you can get a Blue Ox that's good also and a bit less weight I believe. Go to e-trailer and see what they advise for a 2020 Soul. You never know there may have been a slight frame change.

* This post was edited 05/12/19 10:20pm by T18skyguy *

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

RVROSE

Chardon, OH

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

T18skyguy, you really packed a lot of information into your response. Many thanks!

2005 Kountry Star with a 4 cyl. Saturn Vue with stick shift.
Mike and Rose and Pepper, our All-American black lap dog.

pequeajim

New Holland, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/19 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2020 manual states that you can't your it 4 down, but that is for the automatic, not manual. Manual can be towed. Just make sure you run a charge cable for the battery.

Holiday Rambler Arista & Jeep Liberty Toad

mikeintn

Lenoir City TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pequeajim wrote:

The 2020 manual states that you can't your it 4 down, but that is for the automatic, not manual. Manual can be towed. Just make sure you run a charge cable for the battery.

I've been looking since they are running deals etc. But I can't get a straight answer on this. Where are you getting that information? All I can find in the owners manual is don't do it.
2020 Kia Soul Owners Manual page 6-24

Mike, Cindy, Chris and Spunky the Cocker Spaniel & Naro the cat
2002 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38 PST
Cummings 330
Onan 7500 Watt Generator
Master Tow 80THD tow dolly
2009 Mini Cooper S Toad

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call Kia customer service and get the straight answer. You might be able to tow it anyway but it will probably void your warranty without their blessing. An option would be to find a 2019 model. They're out there.
B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

eheading

Lakeland, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/20 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That owner's manual certainly doesn't leave any doubt as to Kia's instructions on towing behind an RV.

Pirate

Northeast Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone ever received confirmation on this or is actually flat towing a 2020? thanks.

RVROSE

Chardon, OH

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm the original poster on this topic and it is good to see the question is still being considered. I solved my problem by finding a 2016 Soul with manual transmission that had less than 12,000 miles. So, in a way my problem got solved for the time being.

The first one to respond to my question was T18skyguy and he warned us about a GDI. Well, my Soul does have that, so I'll find time to worry about that issue later.

We went to e-trailer and outfitted the Soul with Roadmaster gear and are happy with it. My son-in-law is a lot handier than I am and enjoyed the installation project. They had a video as well as printed instructions and he used both and got it all done. I stood by and fetched tools for him.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Kia Soul as a dinghy
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.