cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blackwoods campground in Maine (Arcadia National Park)

Mr__Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question regarding Blackwoods campground in Maine. Per the web site, the maximum height for an RV is 11 feet. My question is how is that possible when they have RV sites for 35 foot RV's? Has anyone had any experience with this at Blackwood? Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6

captbru
Explorer
Explorer
Re read the driving directions> The entrance to Blackwoods campground is off HWY 3. There are no restrictions on HWY 3. The height restrictions are on the park loop RD. You can get to the campground. Just don't drive a tall RV on the park loop. Use your toad.

The entrance to Blackwoods Campground is off of State Highway 3, six miles south of Bar Harbor. There is no entrance to the campground from Acadia National Park's Park Loop Rd. The Park Loop Rd. has several low bridges and the majority of it is one way traffic; do not enter any entrances with a vehicle or equipment that is 10'4" or more.

captbru
Explorer
Explorer
re

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Per the Acadia NP web site-
Height Restrictions
Plan your route carefully. Many park roads feature historic bridges constructed with lower than conventional clearances. The shortest underpass on Park Loop Road is 11 feet 8 inches (3.56 m). Buses exceeding that height must exit Park Loop Road using Otter Cliff Road at Fabbri Picnic Area. If damage to a bridge overpass occurs, drivers will be cited and the park will seek restitution. Height restrictions are as follows:

Park Loop Road is closed to vehicles taller than 12 feet 2 inches (3.70 m) from Sieur de Monts to Sand Beach Entrance Station.
Park Loop Road is closed to vehicles taller than 12 feet (3.65 m) from Fabbri Picinic Area to Wildwood Stables.
Stanley Brook Road is closed to vehicles taller than 10 feet 4 inches (3.15 m).Fish House Road is closed to vehicles taller than 11 feet 6 inches (3.50 m).
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the old bridges made out of field stone have something to do with it.

Yes. Part of the park is only accessible by having to go under these bridges.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the old bridges made out of field stone have something to do with it.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. They have sites that are 35 feet long, and some overhead something or other that's 11 feet off the ground.

My class C motorhome, for one example, is under 11 feet tall but just about exactly 32 feet bumper to bumper; with the bike rack on the back, I'd be pretty close to 35 feet long. Most travel trailers (not fifth wheels) are also comparatively low even if they are lengthy models.