cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arctic Fox 1163 TRUCK CAMPER Full Tour video !

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
A triple slide out so heavy it needs something like a F450 pickup to carry it !
video

29 REPLIES 29

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
JTLance wrote:
Yes. BUT, these are on BRAND NEW campers! The NEW OWNERS did nothing to cause factory leaks over their beds!

I’m not disagreeing. Are you saying Host won’t fix them even though they are under warranty?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
JTLance wrote:
just because yours is great, doesn’t mean that things stay the same. The article I posted spoke to some VERY SPECIFIC issues that current new owners are having. Again, not old units like yours.

Obviously, I know that because I noted that not all campers would be good simply because one is. Similarly, not all are bad because a few are bad. I didn’t mention it, but that would seem like an obvious item that would be warrantied by Host. Based on the experience of watching here, Host seems to go out of their way to repair any unit even when they are damaged by owner. That would be the rest of the story.

It’s a fact of life that any individual unit can have issues. That’s the nature of how they are built no matter if they are Northwood or Host.

Nobody has answered the one question though. For the similar unit with similar design if possible, how much difference in price are the Northwoods compared to Eagle Cap or Host?

Yes. BUT, these are on BRAND NEW campers! The NEW OWNERS did nothing to cause factory leaks over their beds! NEW OWNERS did nothing to stop lousy workers NOT seeing the screws that attach the lifting jack brackets TO THE CAMPER and now they have running rust down the sides of their camper, NEW OWNERS didn't ask for over-torqued screws that were missing screw heads (allowing for leaks). These were not small fringe owners. These appear to be from 2017 going all the way to 2020 units.

Anyway, back to the thread...

Arctic Fox always made **** nice campers. It was my first camper BEFORE aluminum. 🙂

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
5000 pounds needs axles under it.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
JTLance wrote:
just because yours is great, doesn’t mean that things stay the same. The article I posted spoke to some VERY SPECIFIC issues that current new owners are having. Again, not old units like yours.

Obviously, I know that because I noted that not all campers would be good simply because one is. Similarly, not all are bad because a few are bad. I didn’t mention it, but that would seem like an obvious item that would be warrantied by Host. Based on the experience of watching here, Host seems to go out of their way to repair any unit even when they are damaged by owner. That would be the rest of the story.

It’s a fact of life that any individual unit can have issues. That’s the nature of how they are built no matter if they are Northwood or Host.

Nobody has answered the one question though. For the similar unit with similar design if possible, how much difference in price are the Northwoods compared to Eagle Cap or Host?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
JTLance wrote:
Host.....a lot of money for units that leak just like cheaper ones. NO THANKS!

I just read this....

www.irv2.com/forums/f33/thoughts-and-opinions-on-eagle-cap-1200-vs-host-mammoth-tc-484899-2.html

My Host hasn’t leaked in 14 years of being store outside, so none do. 😉 But seriously, you can find bad press on any brand and as previously noted over and over. Quality of one unit doesn’t guarantee the quality of the next unit.

I don’t think people buy a Host because they are better quality. They bought them for the innovation and floor plans that other brands just don’t have.

In any case, I hear a lot of people buy Northwood to save money. I think for the most part, you save money because you are getting less options. That’s what they tell me when they looked at mine. That’s ok to trade those two things off.

Hard to say how much this new type of Arctic Fox will cost compared to an equal optioned Host. Maybe someone has two estimates to compare from dealers who give equally good prices. We know MSRP is a fake number that almost nobody pays.

Jim, that link said the issues were with NEW ONES! Not the old ones like yours.

One of the dealers in Pasco was wondering if they were about to sell out to a new set of owners. I’ve seen that happen with MANY truck camper brands. Seems COVID 19 has hurt their workforce. Or they can’t seem to keep good people building their campers. Either way, just because yours is great, doesn’t mean that things stay the same. The article I posted spoke to some VERY SPECIFIC issues that current new owners are having. Again, not old units like yours.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
A 100% Eagle Cap Knock-off, minus over the rail construction...

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
JTLance wrote:

I just read this....

www.irv2.com/forums/f33/thoughts-and-opinions-on-eagle-cap-1200-vs-host-mammoth-tc-484899-2.html

My Host hasn’t leaked in 14 years of being store outside, so none do. 😉 But seriously, you can find bad press on any brand and as previously noted over and over. Quality of one unit doesn’t guarantee the quality of the next unit.

I don’t think people buy a Host because they are better quality. They bought them for the innovation and floor plans that other brands just don’t have.

In any case, I hear a lot of people buy Northwood to save money. I think for the most part, you save money because you are getting less options. That’s what they tell me when they looked at mine. That’s ok to trade those two things off.

Hard to say how much this new type of Arctic Fox will cost compared to an equal optioned Host. Maybe someone has two estimates to compare from dealers who give equally good prices. We know MSRP is a fake number that almost nobody pays.

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer

I just read this....

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
deltabravo wrote:
No, not really "variations of Host".

Northwood was building truck campers long before Host.

If we are talking campers in general, neither Northwood or Host are in the running. Other manufacturers started 30-40 years before.

If we are talking slides, Snow River was first. If we are talking variations of 2 or 3 slides, Host got there first.

So yeah, variations of Host designs. I’m not saying you have to agree that first is best, but the fact is they were there first. Northwood is relatively late to the 2 slide or more party. I’ll add that my 2006 built in 2005 was at least a 3rd design change for Host.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
imjustdave wrote:
I wonder why they only made 1, 1 year is one thing but 1 unit in total seems like a big investment for them in jigs, and engineering .

The decision was that building this beast, with such a limited market, (due to the need to have a massive truck to haul it) would reduce capacity to build their more popular, better selling models like the 990 and 811.

The factory doesn't have the capacity to add another production line for truck campers.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
jimh425 wrote:
If we are talking about copying designs, aren’t most just variations of Host designs.

No, not really "variations of Host".

Northwood was building truck campers long before Host.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
STANG23L wrote:
Well, he lives full time in his Arctic Fox

He used to. He gave up full time truck camper living about 6 months ago, and gave up on his YouTube channel too.

imjustdave
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's awesome If i'm being honest. Yes it's a big camper but if your going to go big then go big. I would seriously consider owning this, yeah 1 off might be hard but it's just a unique floor plan VS everything being 1 of a kind

Friend has a 11.5 foot side entry Lance I think on a 350 and it makes the 350 look small. I bet this is the same.

I wonder why they only made 1, 1 year is one thing but 1 unit in total seems like a big investment for them in jigs, and engineering . I'm sure a lot of things are out of other units and really only the frame, walls, roof and side door.

Oh well cool to see the video.
David

Jayco 2007 30.5 BHS ... Not sure I need the bunks now.
Dodge 2006 3500, Manual, free spin, B&W hitch.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Yes every type of RV has its pro and cons.