Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Cummins longevity and maintence
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Cummins longevity and maintence

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/19 10:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK guys, need some sage advise from previous and current owners about scheduled maintenance. New to the diesel scene and I want to make sure I do what I'm suppose to...so asking for help. I've done research online, but I can only find part of the answers so I'm turning to y'all. The owner's manual tells me some of it, but are there any tips and tricks that can be shared.

So far I've found that there is an additive that I'm suppose to put in the differentials when I change the fluid since it's a limited slip, and I know that the old 7.3L Fords had something that was put in the antifreeze to prevent cavitation, but I can't find any information like that on current engine. Is there a holy grail resource site that can help?

Please fire away with all your help. Thanks

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/19 11:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retired Cummins engineer I now like Ford fluid and grease as long as spec's ok. I've got that Ford stuff in my Dana 70 right now. But that is for what I have.

Google up a vin decoder and find what you have.

Bear in mind my 2001 dodge has numerous errors or omissions on maintenance in owners manual.

I like moparman1973.com for what I have

* This post was edited 05/12/19 11:54pm by path1 *

Flashman

Tucson, Aizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm confused. Why bring up Ford when the title is about Cummins. Ford has its own issues which are not shared by Cummins.

As far as longevity the Cummins is in a class by itself in pickup based diesels. Not to be confused with Ford.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please provide vehicle info. Maintenance intervals change depending on year.

As far as diff fluid, friction modifier is not needed on 2003+ trucks since they have a gear style limited slip, not a clutch style limited slip like your old Ford.

* This post was last edited 05/13/19 07:28am by ShinerBock *   View edit history

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bringing up Ford is germaine...no difference than mentioning Amsoil, Mobil, Michelin, Weathertech, etc, etc, etc...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Cummins longevity and maintence

Follow the service schedule in your year model Dodge/Ram truck owners manual for the Cummins and drive train components.
Forget what Ford says about their engines/etc maintenance schedules or special additives.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fords last longer so their maintenance intervals are better?

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

OK guys, need some sage advise from previous and current owners about scheduled maintenance. New to the diesel scene and I want to make sure I do what I'm suppose to...so asking for help. I've done research online, but I can only find part of the answers so I'm turning to y'all. The owner's manual tells me some of it, but are there any tips and tricks that can be shared.

So far I've found that there is an additive that I'm suppose to put in the differentials when I change the fluid since it's a limited slip, and I know that the old 7.3L Fords had something that was put in the antifreeze to prevent cavitation, but I can't find any information like that on current engine. Is there a holy grail resource site that can help?

Please fire away with all your help. Thanks

Follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual. Many Cummins engines have gone 500,000 miles and some over a million miles without being taken apart. The engine will outlast the truck if taken care of.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

ib516

Canada - soon to be Costa Rica

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turbo Diesel Register is a good resource. Google it. Geno's Garage too.

No additive needed in the coolant like the 7.3L Fords.
Differentials need servicing more often than one might think according to the manual. A critical part of owning a diesel is looking after the fuel filters.
They are not to be forgotten or neglected.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/19 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am on my third RAM/Cummins. I having always done my own routine maintenance. I only beef I have with the new gen RAM's is the 15K/6 Month/500 Hours oil change guidance. For someone that does not drive a lot, the 6 month part is a bit of a waste of good oil.

I change the oil filter from the top by removing the intake duct between the filter box and turbo. Some do it through the wheel well.

I use only Fleetguard stratapore LF16035 oil filters, ordering them from Geno's Garage or Amazon. the LF16035 is better filter than the best one RAM has in there line up. BTW Fleetguard is a Cummins company. I use 15W/40 dino oil.

To change fuel filters, there are two, I use a length (18-24") of clear tubing that fits the drain on the rear filter will help to drain the filter in a container. The same tube will fit inside the tube of the engine mounted secondary filter drain also.

The Turbo Diesel Register is a good site for RAM/Cummins info.

I used Amsoil in the diffs at the first change. Your 68RFE tranny uses MOPAR ATF+4.

The AAM axles are torque biasing differential and NOT limited slip with clutches that need an additive.

I have always used Peak Blue DEF in the 2.5 gal boxes, adding one when gauge is at 1/2 full. Tip hold the box so the host is at the top of the box and the black vent quacker is on the high side. This is kind of reverse of how you use a gas can. If you hold the box the way you would use a gas can you will drip DEF fluid from the quacker.

Peak Blue DEF has a date code that has to be decoded.

The date code on the BlueDEF box

GA202320089

break this down into 4 groups of numbers:

GA: The designator of the plant that manufactured the DEF
20(fixed typo): The year of manufacture plus 1, so this DEF was made in 2019
232: 365-232 = 133, so the 133th day of the year, or May 13th.
0089: The batch code.

So this box of DEF was made May 13th, 2019.

Chris

* This post was edited 05/20/19 07:17pm by Me Again *

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Cummins longevity and maintence
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS