Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Glacier (west side) help....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Glacier (west side) help....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
cardtarget

Durham, NC, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/19 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey all, we'll be arriving in the afternoon to Glacier's west side in early July. We have two nights at St. Mary's on the east side booked, but want to explore the west side first.

I'm not seeing any reservable campgrounds over there. Would love some thoughts from the group on:

A) where to stay... (boondocking ok if you have a great spot)

B) how to get around Glacier from the west side (are there shuttles?) Should we go some of the way on the Going To The Sun road from the west side and do the rest from the East later?

C) great hikes to do with kids in Glacier (13, 11, 8). Probably around a 3 mile limit.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ended up staying outside Kalispel, I thought I saw some RV CG outside the west gate tho.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed small 'mom & pop' CG just outside west entrance several times ~~ also KOA in the area ~~ good luck

JM2¢ ~~ YMMV

Two Hands

California's Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The KOA just outside the west entrance to the park is one of the best KOAs we have ever seen. We used our toad to drive the Going to the Sun road. We moved to the east side of the park by driving around the south side of the park and up to the east entrance and stayed at St. Mary Campground.

2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Ski Pro 3

bye

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Line up at the campground of your choice around 7am. At 9am they hand out the available ones open. We stayed there a week and every morning I'd see everyone in line get a camp spot. This was in August.

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/19 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two Hands wrote:

The KOA just outside the west entrance to the park is one of the best KOAs we have ever seen. We used our toad to drive the Going to the Sun road. We moved to the east side of the park by driving around the south side of the park and up to the east entrance and stayed at St. Mary Campground.

That KOA is amazing. We had fun sitting in the hot tub and comparing stories with other campers. We got some great tips that way.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

LibertyMan

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are several private campgrounds just outside of the west gate off of Hwy 2 that you can reserve. The KOA as mentioned above is one. You can pull up google maps and it will show several others. Only two ways to access the east side from the west. Going around the south side of the park to the east entrance (if your pulling your camper that is the best/only way). If your not pulling anything, going to the sun road is the best and prettiest way by far. As far as hiking goes, the east side has the better hikes, many of the good ones start from the Many Glacier Hotel and gift shop nearby. An easy one you can access from the west side, my favorite, is the high line trail. Your kids can walk a mile or two out and then back and see some spectacular views.

2018 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite
2016 Ram CCSB 2500 CTD
GenY Weight Distribution Hitch

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/19 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have stayed, about 6 years ago, at Glacier RV Resort CG about a half mile west of the entrance and it was fine. I had to go near the office for wifi. They might have improved it since then.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

stew47

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/19 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have reservations at Rocky Mountain hi campground on west side

NEOK

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/19 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at Glacier Peaks RV Campground about two years ago. It's an older Park but clean and we'll maintained with very nice on site management. The drive from Columbia Falls to the West entrance of Glacier isn't bad.

neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Glacier (west side) help....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS