Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First time TT trip AZ to VA

LizBee
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
My husband and I are in our 50's and are not new to long road trips and camping, and are also accustomed to driving large vehicles (my daily driver is an Expedition EL) and towing boats/trailers/popup campers.

My boss bought a 2008 F350 diesel (25k miles) with a 2012 28' Dutchmen TT that he needs moved from Tucson to Virginia, and since this type of road trip has been a dream of ours, we have volunteered. We'll fly from VA to Tucson, acquaint ourselves with the trailer and check things over (oil change, check tires, etc.). We're now starting to think of pertinent issues and are looking for tips.

Since we're flying out there we won't have things like camp chairs and groceries, of course, so we'll provision in Tucson and pick up a couple of chairs at Walmart for cheap to use at our stops.

We'll utilize GPS with RV setting as well as a trucker's road atlas to be sure we don't get into trouble with clearance, etc., and plan out our stops at RV parks where we'll be able to pull in.
We're not sure what the trailer has in terms of cooking utensils, bedding, etc. but we'll find out ahead of time.

Since the boss got the truck/trailer combo for about what the Ford is worth and planned to sell the TT, we're considering purchasing it from him, and this may become something we use frequently, so we're excited to explore this mode of travel.

Any tips for first-time RV'ers?

TIA
Liz
21 REPLIES 21

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
KOA's can be rather expensive. You can use campgroundreviews.com to search for campgrounds by state and near cities where you think you want to stop. You can read reviews, see amenities, get an idea of price and there is usually a link to the campground website along with contact information if you want to call ahead to check for availability.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good comments. Don't assume everything is in good shape. Inspect it before you head out. Do some service work on the truck and trailer. Tires are important and neglected. You can easily buy what you need when you get there.

There is a lot of flat country between your two destinations. Stop and enjoy the interesting parts.

My first cross country trip was in a 1957 Chevy in 1969. We paid $175 for the car. No AC. We bought an AM radio for $10 at a junk yard. You are going in style.

LizBee
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
Can't emphasize enough the other posters advice on getting new trailer tires. Unless the current tires have been put on new within the last couple of years, you need to replace them before leaving Tucson.

And even if they are new within the last couple of years, you still need to examine them closely to make sure they haven't developed cracks in the tread or sidewall.

Thanks Atlee, the tires are the main thing we're concerned about. I'm told they are "new" within the past year, but we don't believe it until we see it. We will have the ability to purchase tires, so that won't be a barrier.

I'm in Glen Allen, so you're not to far from us!

LizBee
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
Can't emphasize enough the other posters advice on getting new trailer tires. Unless the current tires have been put on new within the last couple of years, you need to replace them before leaving Tucson.

And even if they are new within the last couple of years, you still need to examine them closely to make sure they haven't developed cracks in the tread or sidewall.

Thanks Atlee, the tires are the main thing we're concerned about. I'm told they are "new" within the past year, but we don't believe it until we see it. We will have the ability to purchase tires, so that won't be a barrier.

LizBee
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:

LizBee
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer

Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Old trailer tires? I'd get new tires before that long trip.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
KOA just so you know is on the pricy side of CG . BE SAFE ENJOY THE TRIP.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
You basically have I-40 to come back on. You surely have some kind of time frame to hold to I assume so the meandering of the back roads especially through AZ and NM would be, lets say difficult. The issue of possible mechanical problems might make you stay closer to the interstate and larger towns in case help is needed. Tires will be the weak link. Are you ready to spring for new ones to get home on? If those tires have been baked in the AZ sun and are old to boot be prepared to put new ones on. Setting up and breaking down is not that complicated but don't forget the things like the TV antenna, don't leave it raised up when you depart the campground. Stow things well to keep them from moving around in the trailer when on the road.

Should you have questions at a campground there are plenty of helpful fellow campers that would gladly help you. Don't be shy, campers are a friendly lot. Google Maps and Trip Advisor are very helpful to find things to do along the way. Do get off the interstate when you can and have fun. There is quite a lot to see that isn't that far off the interstate.

RVPARKY app for your phone is great for locating campgrounds along your route. I would not worry about reservations. We start calling about 2pm with a good estimate of where we want to stop at around 4pm. We call the campground and check if they have a site for one night and then we will have them hold it for us. We have never been shut out with no place to stay.

Good luck and have a great time.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Some KOAs are fine, others not. Donโ€™t be afraid to dry camp at a local, state or federal park/forest.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

LizBee
Explorer
Explorer
This is all great information. We are pretty careful types, so we'll check all the usual stuff. My husband grew up in that area, so he knows the effects of the AZ weather on vehicles. We'll try to balance reasonable preparation with play it as you go in terms of supplies. We aren't delicate or divas, and can do without! We're mainly looking forward to the journey.

Any tips about actual travel? Etiquette we may not know about? I saw a trip planner on the KOA website that laid out their sites all along the way so we could sort of plan where we might stop - are KOA's ok? I've never used one before.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Tires is a concern though. I wouldn't bolt across country on original 8-9 year old trailer tires that cooked in Arizona. Make sure they're not the original trailer tires.
Actually truck tires will be shot too unless it was garaged the whole time or has newer tires.

Noone knows what kind of shape everything is in, from an internet post. Could/should be perfect/like new with those low miles, but I'd take a test run before pointing it east. 50-100 miles drop the hammer, run it hard, make sure nothing obvious is wrong.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I kinda believe that you may be over complicating this ! Check ever thing and take off , if ya need something there are plenty of Wal-Marts . You say that you have expedience pulling trailers , this will be easier to move than short boat trailers . These guys will have you taking classes and buying new tires for what is really an average road trip !