cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need A/C Help

BODYGUARD_29
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 2015 Coachmen Leprechaun about a month ago. When I took it home, I plugged the power cable into my house and ran everything including the A/C and it worked fine. Today I went to do a few projects on it, so I fired up the generator and attempted to turn on the A/C, and nothing happened. I tried all the thermostat settings (fan, A/C, heater) and nothing turned on. I couldn’t even hear anything trying to activate. Any suggestions? I appreciate any help.
15 REPLIES 15

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
It takes 12 volts to operate the AC controls. Do you have the 12 volt coach power turned ON? If you have ceiling lights the Power is turned on. Doug

BODYGUARD_29
Explorer
Explorer
After doing some further research, it appears that there is a good chance that it could be the starter capacitor. Does anyone know if the capacitor will indicate it is bad, like a fuse does? If so, what is the indicator?

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Stop guessing and start checking. Use a volt meter. Measure the voltage at the A/C breaker in the panel. Turn on the T-stat. Measure the voltage at the A/C on the roof. This will require removing the cover. There is no fuse to check.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
(fan, A/C, heater) and nothing turned on

Do you think it could be the fan ? I have had fan blades hang up and not spin. I gave the blades/fins a spin by hand while squirting a little lubricant on the fan shaft.

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Most AC units require 12-15 amps, and up to 50% more to start up. If you were running it off a standard 15 amp outlet, then feeding through an extension cord of too small a gauge (most are 14-16 gauge, you need 10-12) it's possible you were only getting 8-10 amps at the motorhome. It's entirely possible the AC compressor motor was damaged.

Fuses protect from too much power, not too little.

BODYGUARD_29
Explorer
Explorer
I did reset the breaker inside the unit. That made no difference. I haven't checked the fuse yet.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar issue a few years ago.

I purchased a used TT. I built a rack on the back for my trusty Honda EU3000i generator.

When I plugged into shore power everything worked great. When I unplugged from shore power and plugged into the generator, everything worked except for the air conditioner.

I suspected that the generator had a problem so I took it to the Honda service shop. They tested it and found no problem.

Someone suggested that I install a "soft start kit". I had no idea what that was.

I found an RV parts warehouse nearby and asked them. They knew exactly what I was looking for. About $30 and half an hour on the roof installing it and the problem was resolved.

Good luck.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the generator some units also have a braker on the generator as well as a start stop switch, make sure that if it has a braker at the gen unit it is not off or tripped, and do not start the gen while hooked to shore power.

navegator

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Check the A/C breaker in the panel box inside.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
reset the A/C circuit breaker in the main panel.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Reset the circuit breakers on the generator. Turn off and back on.

BODYGUARD_29
Explorer
Explorer
The plug is plugged into the generator. I can get the generator going, just not the A/C.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Is yours equipped and an automatic transfer switch? It's not standard on the Leprechauns. You might not even have a manual transfer switch. You might have to plug the shore power cord into the generator outlet.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

BODYGUARD_29
Explorer
Explorer
It was plugged into a standard 110 outlet at my house. I store it offsite, so I only can use the generator where it is stored. The generator fired up fine, and the other appliances work off the generator, but for some reason, the A/C won’t even attempt to turn on.