Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Price per mile
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Price per mile

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 03:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have to agree with the people who say the liability is not worth taking a chance on without the proper insurance. If you decide to do it anyway I would at least do a walk around with the owner and document any damage no matter how small.

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, hauling things for money opens a BIG can of worms. DOT regulation, insurance, vehicle inspections, licensing, etc, etc. Sure, you can probably get away with it a time or two but if you get caught the fines are steep. My area regularly runs stings on CL to catch unlicensed people doing this exact thing.

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/19 04:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some folks on forums must have run out of room on their shirts for all the badges. The weight police, tire police, propane police, bumper mounted bike rack police, just this week the double post police were chartered here, and now the transport police.

leggy wrote:

What is a reasonable price to charge to haul a fifth wheel? I was thinking 2-2.50.

Did not notice the OP even asked for opinions on the legalities of it. I'll hang my hat with laknox......sometimes having a little outlaw blood in ya is not a bad thing.

* This post was edited 05/17/19 04:15am by BillyBob Jim *

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/19 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyBob Jim wrote:

Some folks on forums must have run out of room on their shirts for all the badges. The weight police, tire police, propane police, bumper mounted bike rack police, just this week the double post police were chartered here, and now the transport police.

leggy wrote:

What is a reasonable price to charge to haul a fifth wheel? I was thinking 2-2.50.

Did not notice the OP even asked for opinions on the legalities of it. I'll hang my hat with laknox......sometimes having a little outlaw blood in ya is not a bad thing.
It's called risk analysis, if the risk far exceeds the reward then it falls in the common sense category. Your entitled to your opinion just as everyone else is entitled to theirs.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/19 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Personally, I'd be "moving it for a buddy/cousin/co-worker" at +/- $2/mile, cash. [emoticon] Keep gas receipts and say, "this is what I got paid; fuel only."

Lyle

If you are playing the "buddy" game, showing receipts works against you as it looks a lot like you are running a business...an unprofitable business but still a business.

It's also highly dependent on your new "buddy" playing along with insurance fraud if anything goes wrong.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/19 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyBob Jim wrote:

leggy wrote:

He wanted to know what is reasonable...without knowing the costs and risks, how does he assess what is reasonable?

$10/mile may be too little if he gets in an accident and insurance company decides it was a commercial operation and not covered.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/19 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

laknox wrote:

Personally, I'd be "moving it for a buddy/cousin/co-worker" at +/- $2/mile, cash. [emoticon] Keep gas receipts and say, "this is what I got paid; fuel only."

Lyle

If you are playing the "buddy" game, showing receipts works against you as it looks a lot like you are running a business...an unprofitable business but still a business.

It's also highly dependent on your new "buddy" playing along with insurance fraud if anything goes wrong.

Hell, take the "buddy" with you, then. [emoticon]

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/19 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be at $3+ for personal service. $200 minimum. Need enough to get back home too.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Rwake901

Central, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/19 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since we didn’t have a truck to pull our 5th wheel yet the dealer where we bought it from wanted $300.00 to deliver it 90 miles. I left it at the dealer until we found a truck.

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/19 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$300 for 90 miles!![emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Price per mile
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS