cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Dealer trying to sell me older tires, what do I do?

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
I've been going back and forth with a tire store for the past 2 months, which is ridiculous in and of itself. I asked for tires that were no more than 6 or 7 months old. He essentially promised me that he'd get tires no older than 6 or 7 months old. The tires arrived and they are 1 year old, which is better than the 2 year old tires he was trying to sell me in the beginning. Is it impossible to get tires that are only 6 or 7 months old? Do I need to just accept the tires that are 1 to 2 years old when replacing all of my Rv tires ?? FYI, I have 22.5 inch tires.
John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (35,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II
32 REPLIES 32

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Just replaced all 8 of my 22.5 with Michelin X Line Energy Zs 10 days ago. Two things:

Shopped several Michelin commercial tire dealers, most were $10-$30 under FMCA discount if I never mentioned the discount.

Some of the shops were high volume shops that had over 50 of my tires in stock, but they were stored outside. The shop I settled on ordered me new tires on request, and they were all dated 1219, or less than 2 months old.

I ordered the same tires and they too were cheaper without the FMCA discount. I unfortunately just joined solely because of the discount.
John & Steph

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Just replaced all 8 of my 22.5 with Michelin X Line Energy Zs 10 days ago. Two things:

Shopped several Michelin commercial tire dealers, most were $10-$30 under FMCA discount if I never mentioned the discount.

Some of the shops were high volume shops that had over 50 of my tires in stock, but they were stored outside. The shop I settled on ordered me new tires on request, and they were all dated 1219, or less than 2 months old.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
CapriRacer wrote:
Also, the clock starts ticking when the tires are SOLD - and the date of manufacture is only used in the absence of a purchase date (no receipt!) Check the warranty for details.

All of the tire dealers near me in Florida say if a tire is 5-6 years old they are not alloyed to repair them! One of these shops is the one that I've dealt with for over 15 years and trust! So, I would go be the date code on the tire not the date on a receipt.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
Two Jayhawks wrote:
Hi John
I have replaced motorhome tires several times in the last 20 years & I have always been able to do better than 2 years old as well as 1 year old. Newer tires are important to me also it just makes sense. I've never been in an emergency replacement situation so you bet I've waited for fresher tires. Are you located in the Black Hills SD? If so that might be part of the problem you are dealing with.

No, I'm currently in Las Vegas and have time to wait for newer tires. I fired my first tire guy (Rv place working with a tire guy) who wasted 2 months of my time and gave me the run around in a multitude of different ways. My new tire guy says he can get me tires that should be around 2 months old in 3 weeks from now. Let's hope that is the case because this whole thing has been a mess.
John & Steph

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Hi John
I have replaced motorhome tires several times in the last 20 years & I have always been able to do better than 2 years old as well as 1 year old. Newer tires are important to me also it just makes sense. I've never been in an emergency replacement situation so you bet I've waited for fresher tires. Are you located in the Black Hills SD? If so that might be part of the problem you are dealing with.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got tires that were only 3 months old. The dealer knew this ahead of time and I also got a statement of the dates on all the tires. Truck tire store near Detroit.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Tires are not made every day in every size, they are made in batches. Depending on sales volume they may make your tire once a year or less. Lets say they make them in January. If you order tires in February the tires you get will be a month or two old. If you order them in November the tires you get will be roughly a year old. There is nothing that the tire dealer can do to change this.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
A couple of years ago I owned a Damon Escaper built on a Toyota C & C. The RV required 185r/14 tires. I inquired about tires from several dealers and was told that what i got, i got. I finally found a dealer that would actually inquired about the age from the warehouse. I got 6 tires that were less than a month old. That dealer has sold me 5 sets of tires for various vehicles since this occured. Good service gets return business. I recently ordered new tires for my TT and they are less than a month old. I have also referred numerous friends to this dealer and they all have gotten great service and better than list price on the tires.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

jdealcpa
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my 5 year old Michelin tires with Toyos in March. I went to a large dealer in Phoenix area. I asked for fresh tires and got tires 3 mo old. Seems like a reasonable request. Why argue? You told the dealer what you want, he delivers or you go else where. No biggie. Some things are best not purchased at Mom& Pop shops.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
magicbus wrote:
So you are willing to accept 6 or 7 months but 12 is too much? IMHO you are overthinking the problem. These tires spent those unacceptable 5 months stored inside, not exposed to sun, moisture, asphalt or road debris, and without 5-10 tons sitting on them while under-inflated and often parked in the same spot. I would put them on the coach and save the receipt so I knew when it was time to think about replacing them again.

Dave

Finally folks, Common sense rears it's ugly head LOL.
Sorry, I don't agree at all. First off for the OP. You told the dealer what you wanted and he apparently agreed to furnish them as you wanted. Now he wants you to take something you specifically told him you didn't want? Not a chance if it were me.

As far as the business about tires that were stored inside, not run, and not loaded. A VERY rash statement that is entirely unprovable. I just replaced 4 drive axle tires that were original to the 2013 Bus. These tires had over 101,000 miles on them and the sidewalls were uncracked and unchecked. I wore the tread off them, and if I had been able to find someone to regroove them I would have gone that way for about another 50,000 or more miles. My tire guys said mine were the first worn out RV tires they'd ever seen. Saw a lot of cracked and rotted sidewall ones, however. Tires that are USED and not allowed to sit keep the oils inside the rubber moving around and do not rot. For almost all RV'ers, this is not the case, so the tire rots, and the rot starts the minute the tire is built. Every hour that tire is not being run is costing you money as it'll have to be replaced sooner and you're not using it to go where you want to go.

Push on the tire dealer a final time, and if he is still being stupid, go elsewhere. You do need to give a dealer a few weeks to get fresh tires in, and if he can't, he's not someone I'd EVER want to deal with. It's his business to get you what you both agreed to. If he can't some accommodation needs to be made or you need to walk.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:
Hondavalk wrote:
CapriRacer wrote:

HOWEVER, the company I used to work for had data that indicated that there was no difference between properly stored 3 year old tires and freshly made.

So how do you know if they were "Properly Stored". :h

The same way you know that some migrant worker did not take a whiz on the lettuce that's on your sandwich.

:B :W

Almost sprayed the iced tea I was drinking! :B

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

jrclark
Explorer
Explorer
Early April I had the front tires, Michelin XRV with no cracks, going on eight years old changed. I put on Toyo tires with a date code of two months old. I am very happy with the Toyo tires, they seem to track better than the Michelins did.
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3677

soren
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered mine online through Simple Tire. I called, and discussed what to expect regarding tire age? They assured me that they direct ship from huge volume warehouses, and typically their tires are at most a few months old. I ordered Sumitomos. They were a bit over two month old, when they arrived. I also saved a ton of cash by having them direct shipped to a truck shop, and paying their installation fee. I literally paid less than half of what the local RV shop quoted to put Goodyear RV tires on.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I asked my dealer to get me new tires and they were less than 3 weeks old. Michelins. There's a large dealer in Mesa Arizona that sells lots of tires. They have them stacked outside in the 'warm' Arizona sun waiting for a buyer, so don't "assume" they're stored inside in a controlled environment. Not much difference between 7 mos and 12 mos though. If I were in your situation, and here's an assumption, this dealer is the only one near your location, I would negotiate the price of the older tires. $700 tire = 7 years = $100/year. You only get 6 years out of the tires so deduct $100. Done! Install em and go camping....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG