Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tire Dealer trying to sell me older tires, what do I do?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Tire Dealer trying to sell me older tires, what do I do?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
StephJohn2010

Black Hills, South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/19 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been going back and forth with a tire store for the past 2 months, which is ridiculous in and of itself. I asked for tires that were no more than 6 or 7 months old. He essentially promised me that he'd get tires no older than 6 or 7 months old. The tires arrived and they are 1 year old, which is better than the 2 year old tires he was trying to sell me in the beginning. Is it impossible to get tires that are only 6 or 7 months old? Do I need to just accept the tires that are 1 to 2 years old when replacing all of my Rv tires ?? FYI, I have 22.5 inch tires.

John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (27,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/19 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StephJohn2010 wrote:

I've been going back and forth with a tire store for the past 2 months, which is ridiculous in and of itself. I asked for tires that were no more than 6 or 7 months old. He essentially promised me that he'd get tires no older than 6 or 7 months old. The tires arrived and they are 1 year old, which is better than the 2 year old tires he was trying to sell me in the beginning. Is it impossible to get tires that are only 6 or 7 months old? Do I need to just accept the tires that are 1 to 2 years old when replacing all of my Rv tires ?? FYI, I have 22.5 inch tires.

It is only impossible if there is only one tire store within 500 miles of your home.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

Lwiddis

Oceano Dunes, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/19 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Find another tire store.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/19 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the dealer CAN order tires that are dated less than 6months old been there. IF you let him put the older ones on your rv? there yours.

bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/19 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

refuse to accept the tires.

Pirate

Northeast Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/19 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Find a new tire dealer. Tell your current man you are moving along if he doesn't meets your needs.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/19 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just say no and move on. Your next trip check with tire shops for a better result.

rightlaneonly

CA..

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/19 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always ask my tire dealer for tires not older than 6 months, never been a problem getting them.

Lee & Jane
2007 Ford F 150
back on the camping trail, bought another Aliner.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/19 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StephJohn2010 wrote:

I've been going back and forth with a tire store for the past 2 months. I asked for tires that were no more than 6 or 7 months old. The tires arrived and they are 1 year old, which is better than the 2 year old tires he was trying to sell me in the beginning. FYI, I have 22.5 inch tires.

I don't know how much you drive, but, . . . . you should be able to buy RV tires with a reasonable remaining retail shelf life. IMO, 6 months is reasonable retail turnaround. I would tell the "dealer" that you replace your tires every 5 years regardless of mileage due to safety concerns. (the dealer doesn't know how much you drive) If the dealer insists on selling you aging tires, say 2 years old for example, I would ask the dealer for a 2/5 or 40% discount because of their age considering the allowable life remaining. (3 years in time) If they won't cooperate/negotiate, or get you newer tires, . . . . hit the road, . . . . immediately. Find a dealer that actually "sells" RV/truck tires for a living, . . . everyday!

Chum lee

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 04:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So you are willing to accept 6 or 7 months but 12 is too much? IMHO you are overthinking the problem. These tires spent those unacceptable 5 months stored inside, not exposed to sun, moisture, asphalt or road debris, and without 5-10 tons sitting on them while under-inflated and often parked in the same spot. I would put them on the coach and save the receipt so I knew when it was time to think about replacing them again.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Tire Dealer trying to sell me older tires, what do I do?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.