Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tire Dealer trying to sell me older tires, what do I do?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Tire Dealer trying to sell me older tires, what do I do?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 04:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

So you are willing to accept 6 or 7 months but 12 is too much? IMHO you are overthinking the problem. These tires spent those unacceptable 5 months stored inside, not exposed to sun, moisture, asphalt or road debris, and without 5-10 tons sitting on them while under-inflated and often parked in the same spot. I would put them on the coach and save the receipt so I knew when it was time to think about replacing them again.

Dave

Finally folks, Common sense rears it's ugly head LOL.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 04:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I asked the dealer for new tires and it took a couple of weeks but they were a few weeks old. I would not accept tires that were 1 year old.

Kevin

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/19 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simple solution....accept the tires and ask for a substantial discount to make up for the tires being older than you requested. That way he gets rid of the tires and you save money. Win-Win

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, it is a common BELIEF in the tire industry that properly stored tires are "new" until they are 6 years old. I say "belief" because I don't know of any studies that confirm this.

HOWEVER, the company I used to work for had data that indicated that there was no difference between properly stored 3 year old tires and freshly made.

Also, the clock starts ticking when the tires are SOLD - and the date of manufacture is only used in the absence of a purchase date (no receipt!) Check the warranty for details.

Further, it is common for some tires to be produced only once a year. That means the tires sitting on the shelf could easily be over a yaer old and no one on the retail end of things is going to care.

So I think the OP is going to have some problems with the tire dealer - except for the fact that the dealer did agree to supply tires less than that - Poor salesmamship!

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/19 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CapriRacer wrote:

HOWEVER, the company I used to work for had data that indicated that there was no difference between properly stored 3 year old tires and freshly made.

So how do you know if they were "Properly Stored". [emoticon]

* This post was edited 05/16/19 08:09am by Hondavalk *

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hondavalk wrote:

CapriRacer wrote:

So how do you know if they were "Properly Stores". [emoticon]

The same way you know that some migrant worker did not take a whiz on the lettuce that's on your sandwich.

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to be in the same boat soon. I will need to replace my tires this year as the tag tires are dated late 2013, the others are early 2014.

Michelin is the only manufacturer of the 365/70R/22.5 that we have on the steer and tag axle, 315/80R/22.5 on the drive axle.

I will not accept nothing dated 6 months or older either and would prefer tires that are less than 3 months old. I'll wait even if the coach has to stay parked.

MM.

Mr.Mark

2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo w/1,750 lb. ft. of torque, 1.5 baths, 4 slides.
2017 Lincoln MKX AWD V6 335 hp twin turbo.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

find a new store. Or buy on line from a dealer that moves a lot of merchandise.

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/19 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyBob Jim wrote:

Hondavalk wrote:

CapriRacer wrote:

So how do you know if they were "Properly Stored". [emoticon]

The same way you know that some migrant worker did not take a whiz on the lettuce that's on your sandwich.

[emoticon] [emoticon]

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I asked my dealer to get me new tires and they were less than 3 weeks old. Michelins. There's a large dealer in Mesa Arizona that sells lots of tires. They have them stacked outside in the 'warm' Arizona sun waiting for a buyer, so don't "assume" they're stored inside in a controlled environment. Not much difference between 7 mos and 12 mos though. If I were in your situation, and here's an assumption, this dealer is the only one near your location, I would negotiate the price of the older tires. $700 tire = 7 years = $100/year. You only get 6 years out of the tires so deduct $100. Done! Install em and go camping....Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Tire Dealer trying to sell me older tires, what do I do?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS