cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camper and car trailer wiring

RmK57
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1999 F-350 with a Bigfoot 9.5 sb camper. The camper has the regular 7-pin connector that I plug into the truck. The problem is when I tow my car trailer to the races. I have a flat 4-pin also on the tuck and use an adapter from the 7-pin trailer plug to the 4-pin truck plug. The adapter has the lighting wiring along with extra white,blue, black and yellow. I would like to know whether it would be ok to splice into my camper harness and use to the blue wire with say a bullet connector to connect up to the spare blue wire on the adapter plug giving me trailer brakes?
4 REPLIES 4

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to find a harness that plugs into your factory wiring and allows you to install a second 7 pin in the bed. I use one for my 5th wheel but previously used the same for my truck camper. Mine is a curt but others make it, too.

RmK57
Explorer
Explorer
I did a bit more research and did come across a split or dual 7 pin connector. I like that idea, and wont have to cut into the factory harness.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy a wye adapter which will let you run two 7-pin connections from a single connection. 7-way to dual 7-way
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Typically the blue wire isn't used or connected to camper so if I'm understanding correctly- yes

I have one trailer, older 4 pin that requires separate ground as it has back up lights -point is I used simple bullet connector for 5th wire-its a pain...

Something that's used often might be better to install duplicate 7 pin receptacle on the truck if that's whats on trailer
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com