Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: House Power Problem
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> House Power Problem

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
ShotgunWriter

Paige, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Malexander , do you think it could be the inverter, even though it appears to be working properly? (Charging the batteries, clicking on and off with power source change, breaker switches working?) I'm really hoping to not buy an inverter right now. My savings account has taken some pretty big hits this month.

Julie & Bobby Marburger and Tobie the fluffball
www.shotgunwriter.com
2005 Holiday Rambler Ambassador
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/19 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to know why you have a cell phone and dash camera plugged into an inverter that is plugged into the 12 volt outlet. I plug my cell phones and dash camera directly into the 12 volt outlet. Why convert 12 volt to 120 volt and back into usable voltage for the phone and camera? Am I overlooking something?

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

malexander

Oklahoma City, OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/19 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShotgunWriter wrote:

Malexander , do you think it could be the inverter, even though it appears to be working properly? (Charging the batteries, clicking on and off with power source change, breaker switches working?) I'm really hoping to not buy an inverter right now. My savings account has taken some pretty big hits this month.

If you've checked everything with a volt meter, (I had) and everything is checking normal, the inverter is really all that's left.
My 12v lights would sort of "fade" in and out. I should say my CONverter/charger was bad. It bench checked just fine, ie 120VAC in and 14VDC out. But when a load was applied, was when things would go south.

2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, 2007 Honda VTX 1300R, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S19 Ventera. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/19 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok you have two or 4 devices to check
ONE: Battery disconnect switch (Salesman switch) IF this is off the INVERTER will still likely draw power but...... The alternator, and the converter (if seperate from the inverter) can not charge.

If on shore power the inverter CAN charge but with the switch off it's the only thing that has power.. And that folks is my #1 with a bullet suspect. The salesman switch.

#2 is the isolator IF house lights come on once engine starts the isolator is good and the Salesman switch is lifted even higher

#2 now becomes a circuit breaker or the master fuse (Reverse polarity) Described in a prior post

But I'd check that salesman switch

IF it is a 3-position spring loaded marked USE/STORE push USe and listen for a CLUNK. No Clunk ask and I'll take you to the next step
IT can also be labeld "AUX" and may be either a 3-position (CLunks) or a toggle (may or may not clunk) But that's my guess. Salesman switch OFF.

Oh where is it. Can be on Dash or on a control panel somewhere. But often is on the wall in the step well where you can reach it standing on the ground.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

ShotgunWriter

Paige, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/19 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WE HAVE LIGHT!!!

Hubby did a lot of homework and figured out that it's a failure of the solenoid for the battery cutoff. We had checked the switch before, but this was controlling the switch and everything else DC. So glad! Thanks for your input!

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to hear you found ad corrected the problem.

Wildmanbaker

wa8yxm

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/19 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That happened to me as well. Only it was the switch
Solenoid CLUNKED on STORE but not On USE.

I was able to clean the switch and restore normal operation no cost.

dobbler98

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/19 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShotgunWriter wrote:

WE HAVE LIGHT!!!

Hubby did a lot of homework and figured out that it's a failure of the solenoid for the battery cutoff. We had checked the switch before, but this was controlling the switch and everything else DC. So glad! Thanks for your input!

Where is the solenoid at or what does it look like? I’ve already replaced the switch. Thanks

2004 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE 30PDD
Usually pulling one of my toys ">

wa8yxm

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShotgunWriter wrote:

WE HAVE LIGHT!!!

Back when the words "Warranty" still meant free fixes my Battery cut off solenoid failed to re-connet Oh the thing disconnected ok but when I pressed USE... NOTHING.

Disconnected switch. cycled it like 50 to 100 times re connected all good (Switch is self cleaning.. provided you actually use it)

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/19 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dobbler98 wrote:

ShotgunWriter wrote:

WE HAVE LIGHT!!!

Where is the solenoid at or what does it look like? I’ve already replaced the switch. Thanks

Its just a relay. It’ll have 2 little wires and 2 big wires going to it. It could just have 1 little wire if its grounded by where its mounted. Follow the clunk sound, mine is up front near the engine bay because thats where my batteries are.

1993 fleetwood coronado 30’ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> House Power Problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.