cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colorado route 160

Mr__Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering what type road will I experiance on route 160 in Colorado from Durango to the interstate 25? Wondering if it presents any RV driving issues.
13 REPLIES 13

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Hi fanrgs, I used to run a logging operation in Summit County.
I worked for Arapaho National Forest as a road surveyor in 1967. Used to drive over both Berthoud and Loveland Passes each day when we were living in Hideaway Park and working near Dillon. Didn't have any choice back then because the tunnel wasn't opened until 6 years later!
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi fanrgs,
I used to run a logging operation in Summit County. Once in a while I would ride in a loaded log truck that weighed 80,000 pounds. It took 45 minutes to make the grade loaded up the west side to Loveland Pass.

I really liked telemark skiing at Arapahoe Basin.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Heh don't take that song too literally. There are suspicions that the songwriter never went down that road.
In the 1960's, when US 160 was just two lanes all the way across Wolf Creek Pass, there were more curves, fewer guard rails, no shoulders, and no avalanche sheds. At that time, the song was actually pretty accurate.

C.W. McCall may never have driven it in a truck, but someone who gave him the idea for the song had. And there really were commercial chicken houses in Wiggins back then too!

Drive US 6 over Loveland Pass in a 40' motorhome sometime and you will have a better idea what Wolf Creek Pass was like 50 years ago.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
One night I came down off Wolf Creek about 40 years ago in a VW bus with a busted heater in December. There was a blizzard and I rolled into Buena Vista about midnight. Right before town, my headlights quit. It was around 15 below with a lot of wind and snow. I met up with the local police and they offered to "put us up downtown." We took him up on his offer and spent the night in jail. He locked us in and said "what time do you want out?" 0600 was my rely. Replaced the fuse and we were down the road. Later I moved to Colorado and found that some of the toughest roads in America are all in one state.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heh don't take that song too literally. There are suspicions that the songwriter never went down that road.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
160 is an RV pipeline across southern Colorado. Wolf Creek Pass is long an fairly steep, especially eastbound. But two lanes going up so you can stay right, go your comfort speed, and not worry about holding up traffic. And there are guardrails all the way. Going down watch your speed, especially approaching the snow slide shed with a curve inside. Mind the posted speed limit for it.

Then a long flat run across the San Luis Valley before you head toward North La Veta Pass. You might take s side trip to the sand dunes as you pass by them in the valley. North La Veta Pass is steeper going down than up when traveling eastbound. Again, watch your speed as that is again a long grade and easy for your speed to creep up. But very good highway. And there are guardrails.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
I drive 160 either east or west bound at least 30 times year, from Del Norte to Mancos west bound and Mancos to I25 east bound due to some property we own down there. While I understand I am jaded at this point Wolf Creek is a yawner for me any more. There is nothing significant on Wolf Creek Pass that an exhaust brake, proper service brake use or proper gear selection wont take care of with no problem. I can say if you are driving early morning or at dusk between Pagosa Springs and Durango you better keep your eyes open for deer and elk. The elk will be migrating upwards and soon wont be an issue until fall but deer are always a problem. There are times when I will see 8-10 hits in a single run. In fact just two weeks ago I had to do a panic brake not far west of Pagosa Springs for a bear who popped up on the road (a first for me) fortunately he was running full speed otherwise I would have taken out my first bear (apparently his mother did not teach him to look both ways before crossing the street or not to run out in front of cars). A couple years ago one rainy night between the base of Wolf Creek and Pagosa there was a freaking black cow standing in the middle of my lane. Had it not been for an oncoming vehicle I may not have noticed in time- a black cow, on a black road, in the dark, in the rain could have really ruined my night. In any case through that stretch watch for animals.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Mr__Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the excellent info including video and music! I will be taking 160 for sure. The help is really appreciated, thanks!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Colorado is tall and steep. It has some of the toughest roads in the Lower 48. Get ready.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
This time of year it'll be fine. No guardrail though!

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should watch this or listen to the song while going down, I do.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Mr Steve wrote:
Wondering what type road will I experience on route 160 in Colorado from Durango to the interstate 25? Wondering if it presents any RV driving issues.

This youtube video might help.

Wiki might say it well.

For me - Just another Beautiful drive in Colorado - First time I drove it a Golden Eagle flew down the road - Right over the Coach - it was amazingly Beautiful and Big - so much so it was all I remembered for years. Later we've done the Pass a few times with no problem.

Between RT 160 and RT 50 we have enjoyed both but tend to do 50 more often, as it has so many of our favorite drives along the way.

Back to the Question - Usually if you have gotten to Durango you have "Some Mountain Driving Skills" so it is really not too Bad. Just stay in your comfort zone and enjoy Colorado. ๐Ÿ™‚

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Wolf Creek Pass is a long down hill run going east or west.
Don't know if you are used to mtn driving.
I put my pickup in second gear and it controlled my speed without using the brakes (maybe very very slight braking).
That's the only part I can help with.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315