cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

realistic power usage

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. This weekend is the first trip with our new to us camper. Last was used primarily as a tent on wheels when we had no hydro. Didn't have onboard water and only ran the fridge on electricity. This one is complete. We have no power this weekend. I will have the fridge running on propane. Shouldn't need the furnace. What kind of battery life should I expect using the trailer lighting (conservatively we don't really spend time in the trailer) the water pump, the electric tongue jack and whatever the normal parasitic draw is off things like the co detector and what not? I realize there cant be specifics but I'm inexperienced and looking for a stat. Thanks.

I do have a small solar panel if needed although our sight is full shade. Last concern would be if I get it wrong and drain the battery, to hitch up will plugging in to the running truck be sufficient to operate the tongue jack? Thanks. Any tips appreciated.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....
28 REPLIES 28

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
we made out ok. didn't use much in the camper shy of the controller for the fridge. we opted to shut down the fridge and use the coolers the final day and put some charge to the battery off the truck the last day. all in all a smooth maiden voyage. excited to get out again.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
Opps forgot lights are LED. Have no intention of running the battery dead just thinking of hypotheticals and trying to wrap my head around everything. would assume the water pump is drawing the most right?
When boondocking , your water pump will be your lowest power draw.... You only have so much water... When it is gone, the pump draw stops. Other items, even a single light left on can use more total power on a boondocking trip.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have answers............from my experience. My old trailer had 2-12v batteries from Costco, called deep cycle....... Arrive Saturday afternoon, real careful with lighting and water pump only. No generation, no solar. By Wednesday night I would be plugging the trailer into the car and charge for an our at a time to try and get the battery up enough to get through the night. So much better now-a-days with my solar and 6v in series.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
owenssailor wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Jebby14 wrote:
Hi all. This weekend is the first trip with our new to us camper. Last was used primarily as a tent on wheels when we had no hydro.

To clarify for those who do not speak "Canadian", "hydro" means AC power ! The vast majority of the population of Canada get their power from Niagara Falls, hence "hydro". Most of the folks in Western Canada still use the term, but they are NOT getting their power from Niagara Falls !

I'd like to clarify a bit. Canada is a big country. The term hydro meaning electricity started in Ontario when the Hydro Electric Commission of Ontario first started providing electricity to the province . Most was from hydro-electric plants with the ones at Niagara being the largest.

Today 60% of the electricity for Ontario is from Nuclear generating stations. We have no coal or oil fired plants left. Niagara still matters but it is not the major generator by any means.

The rest of the country uses varying means. Quebec - water powered. The prairies still on oil and coal. And so on.

BC gets the bulk of it's power from Hydro, but not Niagra Falls 🙂
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
How'd the trip go was the one battery enough?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Jebby14 wrote:
Hi all. This weekend is the first trip with our new to us camper. Last was used primarily as a tent on wheels when we had no hydro.

To clarify for those who do not speak "Canadian", "hydro" means AC power ! The vast majority of the population of Canada get their power from Niagara Falls, hence "hydro". Most of the folks in Western Canada still use the term, but they are NOT getting their power from Niagara Falls !

I'd like to clarify a bit. Canada is a big country. The term hydro meaning electricity started in Ontario when the Hydro Electric Commission of Ontario first started providing electricity to the province . Most was from hydro-electric plants with the ones at Niagara being the largest.

Today 60% of the electricity for Ontario is from Nuclear generating stations. We have no coal or oil fired plants left. Niagara still matters but it is not the major generator by any means.

The rest of the country uses varying means. Quebec - water powered. The prairies still on oil and coal. And so on.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jebby,

What size (wattage and voltage) is the panel?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Not fully recharging deep cycle batteries every day isn’t good for them and even in shade a properly sized solar system will produce power.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
never mind I started a new thread for solar talk.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Can I take my small solar panel and alligator clip direct to the battery or will I overcharge?

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
thanks guy. always forget my southern friends have some different slang.
as a side note, you all need to prioritize eating a good poutine. anyone not familiar, look it up. the right cheese makes all the difference too.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
We’ve made it 2 nights many times on a single grp 29 including moderate furnace use in our truck camper. We’ve gotten over 5 years’ use out of them too.