cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorhome Keyless Entry Opinions

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an 03 Monaco DP and am looking to upgrade the entry door to keyless system. I find many lock retrofits for trailers but wonder if anyone has done this on an older motorhome. I don't feel comfortable altering the door much but would like the keyless system that can be custom set to my code.

Looking for any comments on getting this done.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi
7 REPLIES 7

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you everyone. I had researched a little and came up blank. You all confirmed it and I already have extra keys made so that it what we already do. I also have a couple hidden so we will never be locked out.

Only Monaco people understand us and that is why it was asked here.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
I kinda built our own entry system for our motorhome using a Arduino, we can also use RFID wrist bans as well..

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a couple years since I researched one for our 99 class A and had no luck. All that I talked to stated it would only work for doors behind the steer axles.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
dougrainer wrote:
You will have a hard time retrofitting a Monaco. Unless the Monaco came with a keyless entry, installing the actuator motor and running the wires thru a Monaco door will be almost impossible. The Trailer keyless entry's for aftermarket are made for the Standard Entry Doors on a Trailer. Motorhome entry doors, especially Monaco's are not the same design as a Travel Trailer door. Your best bet would be to find a Kwikset or Schlage keyless home type deadbolt and see if they will work on the thickness of your Monaco door. Doug

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kwikset-Powerbolt2-Satin-Nickel-Single-Cylinder-Electronic-Deadbolt-Feat...

I have one of these on the S&B house and I am not sure they would hold up to the rigors of MH travel. The inside has a plastic slide out cartridge for the batteries and it's a pretty loose fit. That cartridge has contact points on the main housing. Fine for a house but I have to imagine it would do a number on it travelling down the roads with bumps and motion. Never mind the bolt is much larger than that on a MH and you would have to bore out the slide hole significantly and the catch is pretty different. Could make the door pretty unsecure simply by trying to retro fit it.

To the OP, what's the reason for wanting to go to a device like this over normal keys?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You will have a hard time retrofitting a Monaco. Unless the Monaco came with a keyless entry, installing the actuator motor and running the wires thru a Monaco door will be almost impossible. The Trailer keyless entry's for aftermarket are made for the Standard Entry Doors on a Trailer. Motorhome entry doors, especially Monaco's are not the same design as a Travel Trailer door. Your best bet would be to find a Kwikset or Schlage keyless home type deadbolt and see if they will work on the thickness of your Monaco door. Doug

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kwikset-Powerbolt2-Satin-Nickel-Single-Cylinder-Electronic-Deadbolt-Feat...

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this article will help. https://weekendrvadventures.com/rvlock/
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me I'd have more keys made. Not worth the trouble. The generic kits may have a tough time fitting inside the very narrow door cavity.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad