cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda 2000 compatibilty

bwc
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of selling our Northstar Igloo U but want to be able to carry our Honda in a dedicated generator compartment like our Igloo U has. We enjoy our Igloo U but we want more storage space and we do not like the Heiki windows for various reasons. I thought the AF 865 would fit our needs but unless you get the short box version then no gen storage. Can you order a long box version of the 865 with gen storage? NL's are out of the question due to Heiki windows, BF may be a consideration but very pricey. Any others that may fit the bill? We will be going to TCW for a look. It may mean storing the Honda in the truck which we aren't keen on.
2003 Dodge Laramie SLT 3500 dually diesel 4x2 auto and 2009 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U. Love this combo. Very fuel efficient, lots of room, easy to park and set up.
16 REPLIES 16

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
bwc wrote:
burningman wrote:
Iโ€™ve got a Northern Lite and I have to say those windows are the worst thing they put in it.
Theyโ€™re super cool, but way too fragile.

You got that right!

The Dometic windows? I love ours. This is our 8th year with them and haven't had one problem. Maybe they have cheapened them up over the years like everything else.

Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

bwc
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Iโ€™ve got a Northern Lite and I have to say those windows are the worst thing they put in it.

You got that right!
2003 Dodge Laramie SLT 3500 dually diesel 4x2 auto and 2009 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U. Love this combo. Very fuel efficient, lots of room, easy to park and set up.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

bwc
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
What are the issues with your windows? Mine are great, do not leak, are insulated and they blackout entirely.

The overhead bedroom vent window latches on both sides locked in the open position on one trip. I had to remove the window completely to finally undo the latch. I thought maybe we opened them too far
so we were very mindful of not opening these windows much past the first click. Same thing happened again. Window could not be closed. After that I contacted Rex and I paid to have new latches sent to me. This was 2 years ago. Last year same thing happened once again. I managed to get the window closed and they are kept closed. In my opinion they are poorly designed and very fragile. I bet those latches weren't opened 50 times. Give me a break. Totally unacceptable. This is the first camper we have had that we have had such a problem with the windows and we have had a few. Not knocking Northstar or anything like that, you asked and I answered. I won't put up with that kind of hassle.

h45wt
Explorer
Explorer
I've been carrying my 2000 in the back seat of my truck for 15 years now without any trouble. I take the lid from a 18 gal rubbermaid toughtote and put it on the floor. The gen goes on top of that. If it does leak then the lid catches any drips. They sometimes happen when going to high altitude which forces the carburetor to overflow. Then I take the tub and put it upside down over the gen. Anyone looking in only sees the upside down tub.
03 Chevy 3500 LT DRW D/A CC LB 4x4
03 Lance 1130

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are the issues with your windows? Mine are great, do not leak, are insulated and they blackout entirely.

bwc
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
I store my 2 Hondas in the back floorboard. The IPI long run gas caps will leak through the quick connect fittings though. I just put the Honda caps back on when I store them in the truck. I put a towel under them and fold it over the top of the gen to hide them a bit,

Thanks for the suggestions. This may be the way to go for storage. As someone mentioned why we want more storage, we just do plus getting fed up with the unreliable Heiki windows. It wouldn't be so bad but you can't get parts very easily at least where we live so even though the Igloo U is a fine camper we are moving on.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I store my 2 Hondas in the back floorboard. The IPI long run gas caps will leak through the quick connect fittings though. I just put the Honda caps back on when I store them in the truck. I put a towel under them and fold it over the top of the gen to hide them a bit,
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
is your truck an extended cab or 4 door? we used to carry our Honda 2000 in the back seat. or we would set it on the floor of the TC. worked for us, never had a problem.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
bwc wrote:
. Can you order a long box version of the 865 with gen storage?

No, because the 865 isn't long enough to accommodate a gen storage box on the long bed version, Same with the 811.
Bob

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I keep my 2KW Honda secured to the tail gate section of my truck bed. My Truck also has the folding covers which also is secured and locked..

When we need to use the generator we just drop the tail gate and point the exhaust away from the truck... Been doing this for several years now...

I like the idea of having the generator with me and not left at the camp site unattended...

I'm always starting up folks in the parking lots or camp grounds...

Roy's image

This works out great for me but I guess having a truck camper in your truck bed probably would not have any space left over to stow a small generator... I'm also not keen on mounting something like this out in the open on the front or rear of the truck. Too expensive to advertise for thief...

My Ford F150 Truck has the back seats with half doors. My 2KW generator fits perfect setting on one seat with the bottom folded over... When I go hunting for wood to cut and haul back home this is where I carry my 2K Generator... There is only the two of us on camping trips so this would not be an issue for us... Of course I would not want to run the generator sitting inside the truck...

You could do something like this also of mounting your truck camper on one of those trailers. You can have all sorts of storage cabinets in the open spaces... This idea would also free up your truck to make grocery runs too...

google image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an Igloo and cannot imagine the need for more storage space. I use the area above the dinette, plus there is a decent wardrobe by the back door and a separate pantry plus foot lockers and additional storage in the sleeping area. Anymore storage and my unit would be overweight for hauling on a 1 ton truck. If all that storage does not meet your needs you might want to consider towing a cargo trailer.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Or rear hitch rack cargo carrier. Or set a 865 back in the bed far enough to have storage in front of the camper, in the truck bed.
No awesome factory made gen compartments n a camper that is as long as the truck bed that Iโ€™m aware of.
Although with a long bed truck, Iโ€™d want a camper longer than a 865 unless I was wanting to tow something without hitch extensions.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

desertfoxjr
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered the Northstar Arrow U?See Bill at TCW.