cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Didn't know where to drop this so I'm putting it here.

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
I'm retiring this year and want to take my bride of 33 years to Savannah Georgia. In the past this group has put me onto fun I never would have found otherwise. I'd like a couple of seafood restaurants you like in Savannah and any other non-obvious things we have to do in Savannah. We are planning May-June 2020. Thanks all.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer
10 REPLIES 10

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
Besides the trolley tour and walking in the squares of flowers, Herself loved the Gryphon Tea Room. She's a bit of an Anglophile.

I liked visiting Fort Pulaski, Fort Jackson and the American Prohibition Museum.

I'll second the Crab Shack and Tybee Island. A lot of great places to eat there though, you can hardly go wrong if you check TripAdvisor.

The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist.

The old ruins of the Wormsloe estate has one of those classic "tree tunnels" with arching oaks dripping in Spanish moss.All on our list. Thank you.

Just about the whole waterfront was memorable.

Bonaventure Cemetary was beautiful.

We've been to Savannah about 4 times and still find new things to see, do and eat.

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
pbitschura wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Our 12 year old daughter wanted to visit places associated with Juliette Gordon Low, founder of the Girl Scouts including her grave site. Just read the Wikipedia article which was very interesting and her birthplace is open to the public. Just one of many ideas for Savannah.
I like it. These are the things I'm talking about. I watched a Youtube video of a recent experience directing folks to three eateries. I later read an article from some other folks directing one to the same three eateries. A coincidence? I don't think so. I would like recommendations like yours from places enjoyed, not paid hacks. thanks again.

Also if you have a Girl Scout in your family, a visit to the Juliette Low Birthplace can earn them a patch, I think, or a pin maybe, that they can only get there. Our daughter did that. Very interesting place even if you're not a Scout.

Dale
Thank you.

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Herself recommends a tiny place called Pie Society where you can get American or British pies, savory and sweet. Their meat pies will fill you up. She recommends the Cornish pasty.

I recommend another small place called Joe's Homemade Cafe near the intersection of East 70th St and Waters Ave. They have homemade soups, a from scratch bakery (I go back for their caramel cake) and meatloaf that's as good as mine.

Both places are very affordable too.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
pbitschura wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Our 12 year old daughter wanted to visit places associated with Juliette Gordon Low, founder of the Girl Scouts including her grave site. Just read the Wikipedia article which was very interesting and her birthplace is open to the public. Just one of many ideas for Savannah.
I like it. These are the things I'm talking about. I watched a Youtube video of a recent experience directing folks to three eateries. I later read an article from some other folks directing one to the same three eateries. A coincidence? I don't think so. I would like recommendations like yours from places enjoyed, not paid hacks. thanks again.

Also if you have a Girl Scout in your family, a visit to the Juliette Low Birthplace can earn them a patch, I think, or a pin maybe, that they can only get there. Our daughter did that. Very interesting place even if you're not a Scout.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Besides the trolley tour and walking in the squares of flowers, Herself loved the Gryphon Tea Room. She's a bit of an Anglophile.

I liked visiting Fort Pulaski, Fort Jackson and the American Prohibition Museum.

I'll second the Crab Shack and Tybee Island. A lot of great places to eat there though, you can hardly go wrong if you check TripAdvisor.

The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist.

The old ruins of the Wormsloe estate has one of those classic "tree tunnels" with arching oaks dripping in Spanish moss.

Just about the whole waterfront was memorable.

Bonaventure Cemetary was beautiful.

We've been to Savannah about 4 times and still find new things to see, do and eat.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
River Street is good and take the road out to Tybee Island and stop at the Crab Shack for a great meal. Interesting place.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We like the Savannah River Street.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob