Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: CURT Q20 Slop and Noise
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> CURT Q20 Slop and Noise

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/19 01:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP,

Did you ever see the old Wendy's tv commercial where the old lady walks in and says "Where's the Beef"? Well it's found in B&W Hitches !!!! I have the 18k Patriot non slider by B&W and yes it's a hefty unit so are B&W frame & bed rails, but will say, I won't get anything else but a B&W if we get another truck. Upgraded from a Reese 16K. Night/Day difference.

I think CumminsV12 posted a pic awhile back about the misfortunes involving a Curt hitch

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

lee worsdell

elmvale

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/19 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

curt is Chinese and assembled in the states. They don't use a higher grade as bolts as on b&w.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/19 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I noticed that after stopping, like for a traffic light, when I take off again there is a jolt like the pin has come forward a bit during the stop and is moving back against the jaws on acceleration. Is this normal? Or do I have something to worry about?

This question and the others would be a question for Curt 1-800 tech folks. Your getting the usual B&W bilge we have to go through for any hitch brand question. IMO some never read your OP question.
Any sliding hitch brand can be noisy more so than a non sliding hitch for several reasons. One area is the brake controller set up way too aggressively by the rv dealers.
Give Curt a 1-800 and see what they say.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/19 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lee worsdell wrote:

curt is Chinese and assembled in the states. They don't use a higher grade as bolts as on b&w.

Curt uses 10.9. which is 130,500 # tensile strength vs. Grade 8 = 150,000 #. At those strengths does the difference matter? Just asking.

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/19 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lee worsdell wrote:

PLEASE show proof of this. Not calling you a liar!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/19 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charlie D. wrote:

lee worsdell wrote:

Curt uses 10.9. which is 130,500 # tensile strength vs. Grade 8 = 150,000 #. At those strengths does the difference matter? Just asking.

When it comes to Chinese Made VS US Made I would NOT bet my life on it!

Look at my previous pics. B&W has 4 bolts each side to hold the head and Curt has two bolts each side.

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/19 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Simply look at the Chinese Made CURT side by side with the US Made B&W.

B&W is rock solid, easy to hitch and unhitch, simple solid no question if your hitched.....OH yea it does not fold either.

CURT is known to cause chucking with the heads pivot point several inches below the kingpin connection. B&W's pivot is right at the kingpin height.

[image]
[image]

Not sure if the Curt picture is the same as the one the OP uses. Said his has the ISR rails. I can see where the puck style one pictured would have flex.

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/19 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jjinatx wrote:

Hello,

When I took delivery of the truck, with hitch installed, there was a plastic bag containing the teflon pad and 2 rubber pads shaped like rectangular donuts. I assume these are pads to go between the ISR and the R20. I also assumed these are just a couple of spares, but maybe they didn't put any pads on the ISR, or just installed 2 of them.

I don't know if I can check without lifting the whole hitch off the ISR with my front end loader. -jj

You should be able to see the rubber pads without lifting if they were installed. Problem with the rubber is it will pound out after some time. I have the Curt non-slider but it is very quite. I solved the problem of slop by getting some thin aluminum/stainless material from Home Depot and cut it to go under the hitch leg and above the hole for the pin. Reread jimnlin response.

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/19 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Charlie D. wrote:

lee worsdell wrote:

When it comes to Chinese Made VS US Made I would NOT bet my life on it!

Look at my previous pics. B&W has 4 bolts each side to hold the head and Curt has two bolts each side.

Not trying to argue and I believe many hitches are superior to the Curt BUT IMO, the Curt is more than adequate for most peoples need. If you are saying that using a Curt is putting ones life at risk is overreach.

jjinatx

Austin, TX, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/19 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

I had start/stop clanking with my ISR mounted hitch. I remedied the situation by using Curt 16900 sound deadening pads. Four bucks for a set of four on Amazon. I took out the front pins and pried the hitch up enough to mount the pads. Repeated the process for the rears. Really easy.

I went out to the truck and found out that the end of roller mount towards the cab has pads and the end towards the tailgate doesn't. So, the installer left them out for some reason. Since I have the pads, I'll go out today and see if I can lift that end and slide them in. The cab end is snug, The tailgate end is where the play is.

Actually, I am more interested hearing about whether the front to back slop between the hitch pin and the hitch jaws is fairly normal and noticeable. I know there has to be a somewhat loose fit, but should I notice it when stopping and accelerating? I do check that the jaws are locked solid when I hitch up by raising the front struts a bit off the ground and manually locking the trailer brakes with the controller and giving a good tug.

Durb wrote:

If you do get the Blue Ox Super Ride, send back a review on the hitch to this forum. I've only read one and it was very positive. I'm surprised the hitch doesn't get more play with all the positive features it has.

I've seen posts on other sites about the Super Ride and they are positive. Smooths out the ride and is easy to remove and install. Also the slider function is easy to use if you need it. It's a real bear with the CURT. If you aren't perfectly level, the weight of the trailer binds the locking mechanism and it is very hard or impossible to switch to the other position. Fortunately I've never really need it and only use it to get more clearance between the truck and trailer so I can open my front compartment all the way. I did use it once when I had to hitch up at an angle and the tailgate down would have hit the trailer.

Current Rig: 2017 F350 Crew Cab Short Bed 4X4 Powerstroke, 2018 Grand Design Reflection 29RS. Dearly Departed: 2003 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually, 2002 Bigfoot 25C10.6.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> CURT Q20 Slop and Noise
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.