cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motor with many miles on it

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering the purchase of a Class C motorhome with 280K kms or approximately 170K miles on it.

I know the answer to my question would tell me the condition of the motor would depend on how well it is maintained; how it is driven, and where it is driven. I don't know the answers to these questions and don't know if I would get an honest answer if I asked.

However, I would like opinions on potential problems that could develop on such a well used motor and transmission. Also an estimate on how many miles a motor would still be effective before needing replacement.

It is a Ford V10 engine.
15 REPLIES 15

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Now maybe I know too much and blissful ignorance is the better way to go, but sometimes taking that second route makes life's little adventures into big ones. Or at least costly ones.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Let's say there's a $20k difference between a 150k mile rig and a 50k mile rig.

Chance of major, engine or trans, failure. $5-10k per component.
Brakes, axle seals, front end, engine components like AC or radiator, if you don't know how to wrench on stuff, all those things are basically $1000 bills each time at a repair shop.
Heck, I've got my 1/2 ton work truck in the dealer for some warranty work and asked for a price for new shocks. The shocks I requested are under $400 shipped to your door and it's a 2 hour job, especially at a shop on a lift. Quote was $1200 !
I just laughed and told the guy I wasn't planning on paying rent on the loaner truck and part of the warranty repair to get new shocks.
Point is, if you have to ask the question, you don't understand vehicles and you'll spend the extra money either way, likely.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nothing magic here. Would you buy a car with 280k on it?
If you're asking, I presume you're not into fixing.
Rule of thumb is there's no free lunch. You could get lucky or you could spend most or all of the difference between a low mile and high mile purchase in short order.

I love how everyone talks about the engine. There's about 1000 other parts that see wear n tear as well.
In general, high mileage is for DIY people and low mileage is for those who need a mechanic for repairs.
And just like everything else mechanical, it's situational. High miles AND a stack of records for the upkeep and maint of the rig is less risky than high miles and "never had a problem." The propensity for a bunch of things to fail or need work at those miles is much greater if all the work has been "deferred" or the previous owner has used up all the "luck."

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
"Far too much for a single person."

Hummmmmmmmmm. Why have you concluded this? Many single people travel/live full/part time (including myself) in much larger MH's. 31' Class A in my case. Is there something that a smaller MH does for you that is not possible in a much larger MH? (often with slides)

I find that the additional storage capacities (fuel, water, waste, propane, refrigeration, storage, towing, etc.) add a lot to the comfort/value/experience without adding much expense, but hey, everyone has their own specific reasons for what they do.

Have you considered something like a smaller Class C on an older Toyota 1 ton chassis?

Chum lee

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
It is a 2006 23 foot motorhome. There are many class Cs out there but they are all in the 29-31 foot size. Far too much for a single person. I assume the engine is either a 2006 or 2005.

My intended use is to travel short distances at any one time and infrequently. I would think a maximum distance of about 500 miles one way.

Class B would be my first choice. But, Class B motor home prices are out of sight nowadays. 2002 with 170000 kms on it(roughly 100,000 miles selling in the $50,000. range. Even then, there are very few available.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
More details would be helpful, Like - what year is it, what make and model, etc? What price are you paying? All factors to conclude whether it's worth it. Sounds like a rental which may or may not have been taken care of. There are PLENTY of used MH's out there with a lot less miles so something is driving you to this one. What is it? Price, floorplan etc?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
nbking wrote:
However, I would like opinions on potential problems that could develop on such a well used motor and transmission. Also an estimate on how many miles a motor would still be effective before needing replacement.

It is a Ford V10 engine.

The motor DOES have one high mileage issue. Timing chain. It is also one of those repairs that you "might as well" replace the timing chain guides, tensioners and oil pump (replace with a HD oil pump).

My SWAG is getting this done at a Ford dealer would cost about $1,000.

The flip side is, you might drive another 100k miles with no issues !

New shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends and full brake job will cost almost $1,000.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I would just pass with that many miles no matter the vehicle and a MH is always "loaded". If you consider it, be sure the rest of the MH is top shape and do it only if you could stand to replace the motor and get a very low price on the MH. Also consider the brakes, trans, etc.
Jayco-noslide

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
170k miles is nothing for the V10. It's not even at it's 2nd tune up at that point.

My V10 was going strong at 460,00 miles, but I made the mistake of continuing a hot-weather trip with a plugged fuel filter, and when it leaned out, it melted a spark plug electrode which lodged itself in the #10 intake valve. I still drove it another 5,000 miles after that before having a new motor put in. Cylinder honing hash marks were still plain as day, and when I had compression checked at 430,000 it was still within spec.

My transmission still hasn't been touched yet. Approaching 470,000 miles now.

That said... That's a lot of miles on the house part. I'd worry more about that than the powertrain.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get it for next to nothing, and your a good mechanic, and you don't mind doing the work, then go for it. But, if you have to pay someone for everything that might be a different story. Make sure to check out the roof. If it's been leaking any length of time everything else is a moot point.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™m not sure how many kmโ€™s those V10โ€™s are good for.........

My C has over 300k km on it and the F450โ€™s & F550โ€™s in my company fleet regularly run to well over 500k km before they get replaced.

None of them has failed yet.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
There will be a few along later that will tell you that they have a lot more miles on one than that,with proper maintenance they will go way over 300000 miles.

If maintained properly the newer engines and drive trains are pretty much bullet proof.

Just look at This Thread most of the ones that contributed to it,more than 100,have had no problems and they all started out with more than 100000 miles and have put a lot more on them as the years went by,I have yet to see any complaints about their service.

More than likely the unit you are talking about is a Former Rental and has been maintained.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
In would concur with the second post in this thread. That's a lot of miles for a vehicle this heavy.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
my opinion is its just plain wore out ,they dont run forever. and its just a money pit.