cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rent a tow dolly?

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
We're interested in towing a car with a dolly, but don't want to buy a dolly until we find out if it's something we can do. Would renting one from U-Haul be a good way to practice using a tow dolly before making the plunge?
13 REPLIES 13

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
stargirl96 wrote:
We're interested in towing a car with a dolly, but don't want to buy a dolly until we find out if it's something we can do. Would renting one from U-Haul be a good way to practice using a tow dolly before making the plunge?

Renting one will give you some 'real' experience to see if you really need to tow or not tow a car in the future.

Whether you choose 4-down or dolly towing will depend on the vehicle being towed.....or not towed (then you don't have to make any decision on what to use . ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depending on how long you will use it, tow dollies show up on Craigslist fairly often.

You can buy one, use it, and sell it probably losing less in the process than you would by renting one...
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven a lot of motorhomes and most types of semis with trailers but had never used a tow dolly.
I drove my Chevy PU 140 miles to look at a Kia Sportage for sale by Hertz Used Car Sales. The car was in perfect condition so I made a deal on it and needed to get it home. (they were great to deal with and even took a personal check and furnished new tag)
I went across the street to U-Haul, rented a dolly to bring the car home.
The car/dolly towed GREAT, like it wasn't even back there! I ran 65-70 mph most of the way home.
My only problem was when I would look in the inside rear view mirror to see that car tailgating me! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I guess. But after towing 4-wheels down(Chevy Sonic and now a Ford Focus) and getting son's opinion about a dolly, I have no doubt I want to continue 4 down. However the pool of automatics which can be towed 4 down is shrinking. I could live with a manual but some can't. Also, if your trips are short and you are a couple, consider 1 of you following? Towing is a pain either way.
Jayco-noslide

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Daily rental charge on a U-Haul Tow Dolly is $44.95 per day.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
fitznj wrote:
Rented a tow-dolly many times from UHaul. Used it for front-wheel drive
cars with the "dead" axle on the ground. Towed okay;

Reversing can be challenging - the car's dead axle can have a mind of its own !!

DO NOT back up with a dolly. You can really damage things.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Provided your car can be towed on a dolly (check some websites or your manual) then YES! renting is an excellent way to figure things out without spending cash and the possibility of changing your mind.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
There are a couple different types of tow dollies.
I would prefer the type made by Demco.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Rented a tow-dolly many times from UHaul. Used it for front-wheel drive
cars with the "dead" axle on the ground. Towed okay;

Reversing can be challenging - the car's dead axle can have a mind of its own !!
Gerry

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Consider the car you plan to tow. Some cars cannot be dolly towed.
Some cars cannot be flat towed or dolly towed and must be towed on a trailer.
Many automatic transmissions cannot be flat towed.
And, not all manual transmissions can be flat towed.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
We see it all . You must choose for your style and towed vehicle. 4 down on tow bar is what we see most..

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I would say yes.

I have rented tow dollies a number of times in the past. They are great for one time moves.

If you are considering a tow dolly for ongoing use behind your RV, I would recommend that you look closer at 4 wheels down towing.

I have done both. I would not go back to a tow dolly.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I believe so. Four down is much easier however.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad