cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. 12 Kooskia to Lolo

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone here traveled this highway. Would be pulling 30' 5th wheel w/Duramax dually Not afraid of running mountain roads just wondering what the route is like. Looks like it should be a beautiful ride along the river. We'll be traveling from Pendleton to Missoula and would rather not go all the way up to Coeur d'Alene and I-90
6 REPLIES 6

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
Renee, the grade up Whitebird and the descent into Kooskia were a little unerving though with an overloaded underpowered truck.

I can imagine - we used to tow our FW with an F250 V10 and grades were seat of the pants gripping! Now, our F350 Dually has more than enough power.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drove it many years ago, thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Took lots of pictures then found the shutter on my camera was pooched when I got home.:M Renee, the grade up Whitebird and the descent into Kooskia were a little unerving though with an overloaded underpowered truck.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for confirming what I'd hoped for. I got back 3 weeks ago from a trip with my 38' bumper pull car hauler and went Boise to Lowman, Stanley, Challis, Salmon and Missoula. Sounds like U.S. 12 is similar

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Easy drive even with a trailer and beautiful. It's a fairly narrow canyon but there are some nice spots to camp along with way if you're so inclined.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah absolutely spectacular road, no problems at all. Watch out for bicyclists and look for kayakers in the river.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely no problem. We tow a 35' FW with our F350 diesel dually. In fact, we towed from our house near Boise, up Whitebird, down Harpster Grade, then on to Kooskia (pronounced Koos key) to Lolo. It's a beautifully scenic two lane road with plenty of room.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton