cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hauling a motorcycle behind a 5er.

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used a device such as the Slick Willy Motorcycle Hauler? My concern is that the pressure/tension would be in the opposite direction that the bike is designed to deal with. What do all you bikers out there think of this setup for hauling a Goldwing motorcycle?

https://theusatrailerstore.com/the-original-slick-wheelie-motorcycle-hauler/
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
16 REPLIES 16

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
mapguy wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Not a good idea for a Goldwing. The Goldwing uses pressure fed oil to lube the transmission. If the engine isn't running the transmission won't be getting any oil. And since it's a shaft drive, you can't just unhook the chain.

So in your case, really bad idea. It could work with a Harley, since they run a separate gearbox, and just use splash lubrication for the gearbox. So that pretty much rules out almost all Japanese motorcycles since 90% of them use shared motor oil with the transmission.

They came out in 50's and 60's mostly to haul dirt bikes to the track and such. Easy to pull the drive chain, and not much stress on the frame.

This is one of the big things to research and consider. fj12ryder is correct on the Gold Wing lubrication. There are other makes and models that have similar issues being flat towed.
And it's seems as though some automobile manual transmissions use pressure fed oil to lube the gears/shafts. That seems pretty weird to me.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Not a good idea for a Goldwing. The Goldwing uses pressure fed oil to lube the transmission. If the engine isn't running the transmission won't be getting any oil. And since it's a shaft drive, you can't just unhook the chain.

So in your case, really bad idea. It could work with a Harley, since they run a separate gearbox, and just use splash lubrication for the gearbox. So that pretty much rules out almost all Japanese motorcycles since 90% of them use shared motor oil with the transmission.

They came out in 50's and 60's mostly to haul dirt bikes to the track and such. Easy to pull the drive chain, and not much stress on the frame.

This is one of the big things to research and consider. fj12ryder is correct on the Gold Wing lubrication. There are other makes and models that have similar issues being flat towed.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
klr650goldwing wrote:
Thanks everyone. I didn't think it was a good idea either, but thought I'd check. We spent the winter in Texas hill country this past winter and we'll be heading down there next winter too. I'd sure like to figure out a way to get my bike down there.
If you're going pretty straight down, a trailer or swivelwheel trailer behind you 5th wheel is doable. The states you'd pass through have no issues with a add-on trailer.

Although I would stick to a swivel-wheel type trailer to make life easier. I used one for a couple years and they do work well.

Assuming that the frame of the 5th wheel is strong enough, and reinforced well enough to handle the stress.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have used โ€œHaulBikeโ€ twice with good results.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I didn't think it was a good idea either, but thought I'd check. We spent the winter in Texas hill country this past winter and we'll be heading down there next winter too. I'd sure like to figure out a way to get my bike down there.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe they are called swivel wheel trailers.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RoyB wrote:
They make a platform that attaches to the rear of the fifth wheel and has swivel wheels under it. Those are legal here behind a fifth wheel trailer... Any trailer with a tongue and uses a ball hitch is NOT...

I've seen a few of these going down the roads...

Google images

I forget what the name of these are... They are not considered trailers but attached platforms...

Roy Ken

Sorry, but a number of states consider these as trailers and won't allow them as a double tow. Not even LEOs and most MVD agents even know if it's legal in most states.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thatโ€™s a nice setup!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
For my bike I built this:

You need a heavy frame, hitch and you might have to add an axle or move your axles rearward to accommodate a Goldwing.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe the pics above are "Idaho Tote".

As far as Slick Willy goes for $150 I would NOT trust my bike on that!!!

I prefer this!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
They make a platform that attaches to the rear of the fifth wheel and has swivel wheels under it. Those are legal here behind a fifth wheel trailer... Any trailer with a tongue and uses a ball hitch is NOT...

I've seen a few of these going down the roads...

Google images

I forget what the name of these are... They are not considered trailers but attached platforms...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
CLICKY

I would use this on a dirt bike, definitely not with a Goldwing or any heavy bike.
I wouldn't trust the ratchet straps. But, that's me.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My state allows double towing but if another state doesn't that's their choice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad