cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking Help - Generator Won't Stay Running

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
My brother is texting me for advice. They are on a trip. His 2800 Onan starts and stays running until he lets go of the start switch. The same thing happens with both start switches, the on-gen and inside house remote panel. Main fuel tank is 3/4 full, gas cap off to assure no built up negative pressure.

Anyone here have the same trouble and the solution?
11 REPLIES 11

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Same as what has been written. I had that same problem - turned out to be the brushes and commutator on the genny end. Not a cheap fix by a Cummins repair center.
Several other causes for that same scenario - fuel problem (of some sort), low oil (or bad oil sensor), control board.
The genny is belt driven and that can be an issue on some models.
Flightsystems.com has some good troubleshooting documents and are an excellent source for parts.
2014 Allegro 36LA

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Happened to mine. Shop replaced a control board. Found out later a company makes better version. The company is flight systems.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

OP Here. Thank you for all your replies. I have shared your comments with my brother. His plan is to finish his trip without a working generator and make the repairs himself after his return.

After I posted my request for advise, he found an area RV repair center. The tech there said it was the voltage regulator (same diagnosis as some of your comments). He would have had the repair done there but it is a 2 week wait.

Thanks again for all the quick replies!

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Check the oil level first.
There is a low oil sensor. Don't know if it would act like that though.

Is the light in the switch AT the generator flashing after it stops ?
If so, there is a simple procedure to get the trouble code.

Most any Cummins diesel shop also does Onan.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Kamphiker
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like bad regulator and/ or Slip rings.
Has the Generator been getting a monthly exercise ?

Lack of running causes the brushes & slip rings to get corroded & can take out the regulator along with it.
2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

Kamphiker
Explorer
Explorer
Onan Manuals available here

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85628

Also they have a forum
2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
lm17 wrote:
I would start with checking the fuel pump.

The engine part of the generator runs until the start button is no longer depressed. A fuel delivery problem would not be related to the start button.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
The problem is electrical. The generator needs to see both 12 volts and 120 volts to continue running after the start switch is no longer depressed. Unless one is very familiar with this model generator and/or have tools and a shop manual, then a professional repair shop will be required.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
lots of good info here

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.outdoors.rv-travel/LNXtSh_3v2U
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I had to have a relay or solenoid inside the generator replaced a few years ago when the wiring to it corroded due to lack of exercise. It was responsible for engaging the "run" function after the "start" function got the motor turning over. Can't recall what it was called. It required the generator be dropped out of the Roadtrek to repair it. My symptoms were the same as your brother.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

lm17
Explorer
Explorer
I would start with checking the fuel pump.
2016 Forest River Forester 2801QSF Class C