cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

7 PIN TOWING CONNECTOR

D_WILSON
Explorer
Explorer
I DON'T HAVE POWER TO THE TAIL LIGHT PIN ON THE 7 PIN TOEING CONNECTOR ON THE REAR OF MY RV. ALL OF THE OTHER PINS WORK , BREAK LIGHTS , RIGHT TURN , LEFT TURN,& FLASHERS. IS THE 7 PIN CONNECTOR FUSED IN ANY WAY? AND IF SO WHERE ARE THE FUSSES FOR THE 7 PIN ?
ANY & ALL INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!
14 REPLIES 14

D_WILSON
Explorer
Explorer
SUCCESS ! I found the Fuse Block On the 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA that controls the 7 Pin Tow Connector. It's under the engine hood , dead center behind the air breather. Flip open the cover of the block and There,s a set of Maxi fuses(larger than the mini fuses) along the bottom of the block. It is FUSE #15 A 20 AMP.
Thanks to all for your input much appreciated.

D_WILSON
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your input on the 7 pin tow connector. much appreciated !
It is a 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36 LA. SORRY I didn't mention that in initial post. First timer... I guess I'll keep looking for the correct fuse block wherever that may be.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Op is gone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
D WILSON wrote:
I DON'T HAVE POWER TO THE TAIL LIGHT PIN ON THE 7 PIN TOEING CONNECTOR ON THE REAR OF MY RV. ALL OF THE OTHER PINS WORK , BREAK LIGHTS , RIGHT TURN , LEFT TURN,& FLASHERS. IS THE 7 PIN CONNECTOR FUSED IN ANY WAY? AND IF SO WHERE ARE THE FUSSES FOR THE 7 PIN ?
ANY & ALL INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!

Well Sir,
It would be nice to know what make/model/year/chassis/engine you have so there could be more accurate answers. You see, yes, in some cases, the 7-pin connector is powered up by a totally separate set of fuses, SEPERATE from the ones that power the tail lights. Freightliner does this for most of its diesels. On our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, the fuses for the 7-pin connector are located in a weather tight box, inside the left rear louvered panel. It lifts up just like a compartment door only, it's held in place with screws.

So, this is why we need to know the info asked above.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turn your lights on to see if you do then?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last summer I had all sorts of light issues. I found 3 blown fuses.. All good after that.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my 2010 F150 Truck it is labeled TRAILER TOW in the main fuse panel near the radiator for the 12V lead on the 7-way connector... It also has a black relay that plugs into it as well... There was an unmarked envelop in the glove when I got the truck and dealership told me to install the fuse and the black relay in the front main fuse panel... Has to do with trailer tow I guess???? The relay clicks when I turn on the ignition key??? I think all of my trailer safety lights stay ON whether the truck key is ON or OFF so I have no idea what the relay is for... Maybe the relay just kills the 12V lead in the 7-way connector when the ignition key is OFF...

I also have a fuse panel on the firewall on the motor side and yet another one inside the truck in the passenger side kick panel...

I think one of those fuse panels has a fuse for each of the 7-blades and 4-pin tow connector leads on the rear of the truck. My truck has the tow package...

Google image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
and some have 4 lights on each side and thus take a adaptor to work.Mine was not wired from the factory on my old Winnebago Luxor

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Ava wrote:
If the tail lights work on the rv but not through the connector, look for a problem in the wiring between the rear rv lights and your connector. The rv lights are fused but they are generally not fused past that point.

Not so. The 7 way IS fused separate from the RV rear lighting. Has been for almost 25 years. They separate the wiring to prevent a short in the tow system from killing the RV lighting system/s. The OP just joined and needs to include Year/Brand/Model of RV to get accurate help. The fact he has no power to the light pin indicates the fuse for THAT wire is blown at the fuse panel for the rear towing circuit. Doug

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The fuses on my 2015 Tahoe are all over the place...engine compartment, both sides of the dashboard etc. It is a MESS GM!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
If the tail lights work on the rv but not through the connector, look for a problem in the wiring between the rear rv lights and your connector. The rv lights are fused but they are generally not fused past that point.

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about your MH but most trucks come pre wired for 12V power to the 7 pin plug. The lead is usually next to but not connected to the battery or in some cases is connected but a relay is missing (not plugged in) to complete the circuit. Check for a wire hanging near the MH battery with an eyelet. It also could be connected but the fuse not plugged in.
It may be mentioned in the MH operator manual re: the 7 pin plug. The manual should describe the fuse block and its location.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
1. No the 7 pin is not fused.
2. Please don't type in all caps.
3. Welcome to the forum.

Click HERE for more troubleshooting help....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
THE FUSSES COULD BE ALMOST ANYWHERE. I FOUND MINE ON THE BATTERY. THEN AGAIN THE TOEING CONNECTER COULD BE FAULTY. GOOD THING THE BREAKS WORK.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman