Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a 1984 Pace Arrow 34 foot GM chassis

rhyno01
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all.
Kind of in panic mode. Going tomorrow to look at a motor home. Its a 1984 Pace Arrow on a GM chassis, 34ft. Im worried about the chassis. Is there anything I should take a good look at? Any suggestions?
Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'll find that many of the people on this forum are more than willing to help you with "many" issues. You have to be clear (state them clearly) on what they are, otherwise, the help you get will tend to be "all over the place" and, often, of little direct value to you.

Chum lee

rhyno01
Explorer
Explorer
I came to this forum because I can tell you folks know your stuff. I do understand there is alot to know about these old units. I'm hoping I can find help here to deal with any issues.
And I do appreciate all the comments.
Thanks

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
rhyno01 wrote:
Hi again. If this unit had a full safety inspection would it be a better prospect? It has a rebuilt trans and 454 cid engine with about 15000 miles. The RV has about 140000 miles. Everything works even dash air. Its really nice.

"Really nice" (your words) is a very subjective term. Your definition of "really nice" may differ widely from others. I'm not saying the subject vehicle isn't "really nice," it may well be. It may even be a good deal. Without photos and/or other details, it's impossible to tell in this format because no one can see/inspect the vehicle but you. RV's are complex vehicles. There is far more to them than full safety inspections, a rebuilt engine/transmission, and, air conditioning. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Chum lee

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
140,000 miles? To be honest, and I an not trying to be mean, but you couldn't give it to me. It is done, two times over. It has no value at all.

Do what you want, but you are asking for trouble.

I think if you had it inspected, assuming you find someone to inspect it, the inspector would most certainly point you in another direction.
He will ask what year it is, how many miles, then will likely hang up.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

rhyno01
Explorer
Explorer
Hi again. If this unit had a full safety inspection would it be a better prospect? It has a rebuilt trans and 454cid engine with about 15000 miles. The rv has about 140000 miles. Everything works even dash air. Its really nice.

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer
You are not buying a motorhome. You are buying a part time job, maybe full time. Think hard, then think harder. Then have your head examined. (just kidding...sort of). A motorhome of that vintage would be a huge project. Lots of time and lots of dollars.

See this thread......

Over 500 pages of the most excruciating, details of rebuilding a vintage RV, and he is no where near...
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
rhyno01 wrote:
Hello all.
Kind of in panic mode. Going tomorrow to look at a motor home. Its a 1984 Pace Arrow on a GM chassis, 34ft. Im worried about the chassis. Is there anything I should take a good look at? Any suggestions?
Thanks

Relax. . . . . .

I would rephrase the question to: "Is there anything I should ignore?"

Answer: NO! IMO, take a good close look at everything. If you don't feel qualified, find someone who is and have them thoroughly inspect the chassis before you make an offer, . . . . . if you do. Expect issues.

See this thread: "Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?" in Class A Motorhomes. (this website) You can expect these type of issues.

Chum lee

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
It's 35 years old. If you are buying for a project to restore, good for you.
Old MH should be preserved.
If you are buying to travel you will be disappointed.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
It's 35 years old. If you are buying for a project to restore, good for you.
Old MH should be preserved.
If you are buying to travel you will be disappointed.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Leaking exhaust manifold. Worn front end parts.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, look for a newer one. Early 90's if you can. Won't be that much more expensive, and several improvements were made to both the coach and the chassis.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Thirty + year old coach...youโ€™ll need to inspect everything.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MrWizard
front air bags inside the coil springs

approx $100 for a new pair, and a afternoon of sweating & SWEARING to install them

starters have a tendency to get over heated from the exhaust

and a lot of replacement starters are put in wrong and end up breaking teeth on the 'flex plate ring gear'

replacement starters come with shims for spacing the starter OFF the gear
and a little steel rod to use as the spacing gauge between the starter gear and the ring gear
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
If this is on a P30 Chassis This Link May interest you.

I had a 86 Winny on a P 30 chassis and it was the most evel thing to drive as I said in a post in that thread.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C