cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electric stairs question

EydieG
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1999 Newmar Dutchstar. Our stairs are Kwikee brand. Recently the stairs have begun to retract every time we shut the door when the switch is off. Coach is not running, no key in ignition. We replaced the switch (next to the door)after trying it in both positions several times, but this made no difference. Anyone had this and have advice about fixing it? We have only owned this coach for 6 years so I have no idea about any maintenance that may have occurred before 2012. thanks!!
Brand new owners of a 1999 Newmar Dutchstar DP
10 REPLIES 10

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
robatthelake wrote:
Just a note . If you need parts for those series 32 Steps don’t tell them the correct age tell them it’s a 2006!
They are the same steps but for whatever reason Kwikee sold out to Lippert who have no clue about the older steps!

Not correct. While the steel mechanism is the same the motor and controls are different. So, if you attempted to order a Brain control or a Motor and tell them 2006, then you will have the wrong parts. They do NOT go by year model but by the Model ON the steps. Doug

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Check switches above passenger seat above dash.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Just a note . If you need parts for those series 32 Steps don’t tell them the correct age tell them it’s a 2006!
They are the same steps but for whatever reason Kwikee sold out to Lippert who have no clue about the older steps!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

11178adm
Explorer
Explorer
my 94 am eagle has a switch on the drivers switch panel that overrides the door switch so the door opens and closes regardless of the position of the switch by the door. I have had the coach 4 years and only realized the switch was there this year when it accidently got turned on

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. There are 4 wires at the quick connect under the step
2. The Yellow is from the Ignition and if 12 volts positive with the key OFF that is your problem. It should have NO 12 volts when key is OFF
3. The White wire is from the On/Off switch. THAT wire if it also has 12 volts regardless of where the switch is On or Off will cause your problem.
4. Check BOTH wires at the quick connect for 12 volts. If either has 12 volts with Key OFF and wall switch OFF or On, then that is the problem. Doug

EydieG
Explorer
Explorer
Bishop: SMH at your idea...
Brand new owners of a 1999 Newmar Dutchstar DP

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
You might also want(need) to read the manual again, paying close attention to the pages on how the steps function and what you can do to find the problem.

The steps are really pretty simple in construction and function.

After trying my idea, come back and ask again.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Could be a ground or the controller. Use caution when messing with it, they can take your fingers off.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I responded in a different forum family.

But for starters with the door open and blocked so the steps stay out

Go below (Under the rig) and unplug and reconnect everything one at a time unpluggable a few times.. NO guarantees other than if id does not work your FREE is hereby cheerfully refunded 😉
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
The Kwikee step "On/Off" switch is confusing as to what is off and what is on. Try putting it into the on position and see if that solves your problem.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog