cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What fuel do you run in your EcoBoost pickup? (not HO)

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would like to hear from those of you that own an EcoBoost pickup which octane fuel you run. Have you tried other octanes and what difference did you notice? This excludes the Raptor and the new Limited with the HO engine that specifically require 93 octane.
54 REPLIES 54

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

Sorry, just thought you would want some common sense input.

We do, from people who actually own, towed with, or tested an Ecoboost to know what they are talking about, and not from someone who only gets their info from their interpretation of books. Just because one knows what a books says, does not mean they have common sense.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

The way I understand these tests is that they simulate driving up a grade, that is up to 6%, using throttle openings that will keep the empty vehicle at 65 MPH. Since we are discussing tow vehicles, testing an F150 Ecoboost fully loaded with a large, heavy, high profile trailer up a 6% grade on a hot day might give some meaningful information. Of course knocking and timing adjustments would be considerably different between fuels causing a much larger spread in horsepower and fuel usage.

Okay, well then go get an Ecoboost and test it in those conditions and report back what you find. Although, it will be no different than what we have stated that you will have less power with the regular octane fuel since it is pulling timing. However, even at that lower power rating, it still pulls heavy loads just fine. Until then, we will stick with the info we currently have along with our real world experiences as Ecoboost owners.

Sorry, just thought you would want some common sense input.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

The way I understand these tests is that they simulate driving up a grade, that is up to 6%, using throttle openings that will keep the empty vehicle at 65 MPH. Since we are discussing tow vehicles, testing an F150 Ecoboost fully loaded with a large, heavy, high profile trailer up a 6% grade on a hot day might give some meaningful information. Of course knocking and timing adjustments would be considerably different between fuels causing a much larger spread in horsepower and fuel usage.

Okay, well then go get an Ecoboost and test it in those conditions and report back what you find. Although, it will be no different than what we have stated that you will have less power with the regular octane fuel since it is pulling timing. However, even at that lower power rating, it still pulls heavy loads just fine. Until then, we will stick with the info we currently have along with our real world experiences as Ecoboost owners.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Gonna bring this one back from the dead because I finally found the Engineering Explained video about the testing AAA did on using premium on dual fuel vehicles. It actually goes over fuel economy, power improvements, and timing adjustments of the 3.5L Ecoboost, 6.2L GM and various other vehicles.

Video - New Study Shows Premium Gas Isn't Always Worth It

AAA Premium Fuel Research

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
The computer does not know that you fulled up on new fuel. All it does is constantly detect knock and adjust the timing to the optimal level allowed depending on the anti-knock properties of the fuel. It is adjusting timing many times each cycle and even adjust timing of each individual cylinder so it is instant rather than a few tanks.

The reason why it may not be felt until a few tanks is probably because you filled up with several gallons of regular fuel still in the tank so it is blended fuel rather than all premium.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
This is exactly what the 2018 manual states.....

Your vehicle is designed to operate on
regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum
pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 or
regular unleaded gasoline blended with a
maximum of 85% ethanol (E85).......

For best overall vehicle and engine
performance, premium fuel with an octane
rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The
performance gained by using premium fuel
is most noticeable in hot weather as well
as other conditions, for example when
towing a trailer.

It never states that premium is required when towing. It just stayes that it is recommended IF you want the best performance and it will be most noticable in heavy tow and/or in hot weather.

Isn't it amazing what is in an owner manual!
"I don't see an improvement" takes a bit more than a tank to notice it. The PCM needs to learn and takes a bit more than a couple hundred miles.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks! That is very interesting. After the report from OH48Lt that the difference was quite noticeable I had made up my mind to try the higher octane to see if I could also tell a difference. As fate would have it at my next fuel stop premium was $0.80/gal or nearly 30% higher than regular. I couldn't bring myself to pay that much extra since I have never felt the need for more power and that really seemed like money just thrown away. I may still try some 93 octane if I can find it for a more reasonable difference.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Gonna bring this one back from the dead because I finally found the Engineering Explained video about the testing AAA did on using premium on dual fuel vehicles. It actually goes over fuel economy, power improvements, and timing adjustments of the 3.5L Ecoboost, 6.2L GM and various other vehicles.

Video - New Study Shows Premium Gas Isn't Always Worth It

AAA Premium Fuel Research
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
I normally use regular 87 octane fuel, mainly the top tier from CostCo. Have used 93 in the past a number of times, and I can really tell the difference in power. Its rather immediate too. The engine senses the better gas, and adjusts the cam timers accordingly. Mine is a 2011, and the owners manual advises that 93 (or did it say 91?) is the preferred fuel. Mileage will increase slightly on 93, about 1 to 1.5 mpg. Its not enough to justify the 18-22% upcharge for 93.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

Buffblazer
Explorer
Explorer
I have had my 13 ecoboost Max tow since new and have ran 85 in it from the beginning due to putting 2500-3000 miles on it a month and the 30 cent difference adds up.

I have 140,000 on the truck now and have never had any trouble. I have switched over to 87 and 91 for towing but never noticed a power or fuel milage difference.

I also live above 6,000 feet and regularly go up to 11,000 so running the lower octane wasnโ€™t that big of a deal.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Not having driven Eco boosts much (the topic of discussion here) I cant say what the performance difference is on premium gas.
But, other vehicles make a notable performance difference if designed to run on premium compared to pulling timing to run on regular.
Not like OMG 100hp, just added a blower to it difference but real seat of the pants difference.

Yeah, my wife's Infiniti and friend's GMC 6.2L are this way, and both are designed and tuned to run on premium as the preferred fuel. You can tell a different performance wise if you don't run premium, but they can run fine on regular for the most part although my friends 6.2L will start to knock during the summer months when the weather gets hot even unloaded.

My old Ecoboost on the other hand was designed and tuned to run on regular fuel as its preferred fuel, but you could not tell that much of a difference if you added premium. There was a difference, but it wasn't really significant or nearly as much as the difference my 5 Star custom tunes made. But those added over 50hp and 100 lb-ft.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not having driven Eco boosts much (the topic of discussion here) I cant say what the performance difference is on premium gas.
But, other vehicles make a notable performance difference if designed to run on premium compared to pulling timing to run on regular.
Not like OMG 100hp, just added a blower to it difference but real seat of the pants difference.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Late to the party here but I run premium in my Explorer Sport. I have no idea if it really makes a difference but it "feels" better when driving it when I do it.

Husband runs mid-grade in his F-150 most of the time. We don't tow much with either vehicle though.

Side note: Premium here in CO is 91....altitude etc.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
I will continue to used 87 even at higher elevations.

This should be an important take-away for anyone running an EB. Use minimum of 87, even at altitude.

With NA engines, you can run a lower octane (85 in Colorado) at high elevation, as the lower air density effectively make your engine "part throttle".

With forced induction, the intake air pressure is relatively constant (within the turbo's parameters). In fact, at high elevation the turbo works harder (higher pressure ratio), which means high intake air temp. More important to never run lower than 87, even in Tibet...