cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no power from generator

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
Fired up the gennie and shock it started. Been having problems with that,but different problem. While I had it running, I decided to add a load to it, so turned on the A/C and the convection oven. No go. Checked the fridge and it was still operating on gas, then checked the power board and it wasn't showing any AC input, even after changing it to 50 amp. After running the gennie for a bit longer, I shut it down and plugged back into shore power and everything worked as it should.
Wondering if this is the transfer switch and how do I test it? Fire up the gennie and put a tester on it to see if it's getting in? Way too long wait times to get it done at a shop.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)
12 REPLIES 12

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
nope. it's still doing the same thing. sometimes it'll just kick right off and run well, but most of the time it just cranks slow and finally blows the 75 amp breaker which will be very hot.. I'm thinking that it may be the circuit breaker as the other day I had to reset because the jacks are retracting slowly and popped the 75 amp breaker.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Bigdog wrote:
Fired up the gennie and shock it started. Been having problems with that,but different problem. While I had it running, I decided to add a load to it, so turned on the A/C and the convection oven. No go. Checked the fridge and it was still operating on gas, then checked the power board and it wasn't showing any AC input, even after changing it to 50 amp. After running the gennie for a bit longer, I shut it down and plugged back into shore power and everything worked as it should.
Wondering if this is the transfer switch and how do I test it? Fire up the gennie and put a tester on it to see if it's getting in? Way too long wait times to get it done at a shop.

Has your problem been solved?
What was the solution?
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
TC forum is not as popular as travel trailer forum, or the general forums on running gear. Posting in those will get more viewers and more knowledge.

swiftboot22
Explorer
Explorer
From another forum...if you have a surge protector installed in your unit and the genny produces voltage outside the parameters, it will kick off the power from the genny just as it would at a problematic pedestal.

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Stator field boost is built into the Generac generator.
Drill motors not needed.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Older generators can loose their magnetic charge just sitting around. This is needed for all generators to 'bump start' them. Check youtube videos how to use a drill motor to get the generator to start producing power again.

How To Flash A Generator With A Drill Motor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LR62sm7USU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaMIV0U9TjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r3hoxMryEI

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Options:
Last post (hold switch longer)
Tripped breakers.. NOTE On my ONAN it can be hard to tell as ten ON/OFF indicator is hard to see and Tripped is Full OFF (there is no center indicator)
Bad Transfer switch
Bad wiring

IF it keeps running.. Well on my Onan that means it's making power but I don't know about your other make.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
You could have the diesel or propane generator. If it is propane it is the Generac NP-66LPG. Not sure about the diesel version but if it is the LPG version you can apply stator field boost a little longer when you start the engine. This may be necessary if the gen has not been under load in a while.
Stator field boost is applied every time you start the engine and is removed when the start switch is released. Hold the start switch down for another 5 sec when the engine starts to apply the boost longer. Starter power is cut by engine RPM, not the start switch.
I have the Generac Q 55G in my National
Let us know

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
With the shore cord unplugged check for voltage at the gen after the CBs have been cycled and it's been running for several minutes. Or check at the ATS gen input. Most likely it's the gen or ATS but wiring can also be a issue.

Be safe or get help.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
genny will have 1 or 2 circuit breakers on it. Rest them.

Reset the breakers. Don't let them rest. 🙂

When was the last time the generator worked properly?

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
How long did you wait before deciding you had no juice. My generator runs for a minute or two before the transfer will automatically occur.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
genny will have 1 or 2 circuit breakers on it. Reset them.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.