cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Road trip to Black Hill SD from Toledo Ohio

JCK
Explorer
Explorer
In about 3 weeks we leave for Black Hills SD. We are Traveling from Toledo Ohio to Rapid City SD

One route takes me on I 90/94 around Chicago up to I90 west
The other option is I 80 west to Omaha then North on 29 to Sioux Falls I 90 West

I have no problem with ether route as there basically the same distance and time
Looking for input on Road Construction and general condition of the road.

Now coming home from Rapid City is another adventure as I want to stay off the two main interstates any suggestions .
2019 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2500 RL
8 REPLIES 8

sprint99
Explorer
Explorer
We did S.E. Wisconsin to Black Hills last summer. Was an amazing trip and I look forward to planning a return out there again. Of course, we had to do the obligatory stop at Wall Drug on the way. lol No need to do that again though.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
The truck stop is at exit 284 on I80 in Iowa. Cool place to visit.

I just drove from Elkhart to Madison. I used I80 (some construction in Indiana) to I39. Then I39 to I90. There is construction on I90 in Wisconsin. Indiana had lane closures that slow everyone down. Wisconsin construction had two lanes in each direction that moved at 60mph.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

JCK
Explorer
Explorer
Back to the top
We leave in a few days still looking for road conditions, traffic , places to overnight , and any other information you may offer
Jeff K

JCK
Explorer
Explorer
Matt about where on 80 in Iowa is the Museum located? Mile Marker near what city would be helpful . Is that the Museum that spans over the roadways ?
Jeff

JCK
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Matt
Never really thought of using Google maps for construction delays mostly just used it for out of work traffic jams

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
Consider I 80 to I-380 to U.S. 218 to U.S. 18 to I-35 then to I-90. I just pulled through there a couple of weeks ago and it was a nice road. I did that route because of the possibility of flooding along 29 and in the past there has been a lot of construction on 29 along the river in Sioux City

Jerry,

If you end up on I-80 in Iowa, be sure to stop at the I-80 Truck stop, and when you get the rig parked, walk across to the Museum that is just a short walk north. The food at the real restaurant is good too.

As for construction, if you have Google Maps, look there every day. They do a pretty good job of showing what to avoid.

We love Rt-20 - Except where it goes through some cities... Like Cleveland.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

JCK
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Hornet for your route Infromation.
As far as route home US 20 looks interesting

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Consider I 80 to I-380 to U.S. 218 to U.S. 18 to I-35 then to I-90. I just pulled through there a couple of weeks ago and it was a nice road. I did that route because of the possibility of flooding along 29 and in the past there has been a lot of construction on 29 along the river in Sioux City