Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Trail Ridge Road - Will It Be Open...
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Trail Ridge Road - Will It Be Open...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12+ inches in SummCo this morning.

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/19 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park will not open for Memorial Day weekend.

As winter weather continues to blanket the high elevations in Rocky Mountain National Park, park officials announced Wednesday that Trail Ridge Road would not open in time for the upcoming Memorial Day weekend.

Ongoing snowplow operations in the park were forced to extend due to the late spring snowfall over the last few days, which added to the already several feet of snow from a particularly precipitous winter season. Plow operators came across a buried Alpine Visitors Center, located near the top of Trail Ridge Road, last week, and are used to seeing snow drifts in the park as tall as 18 to 22 feet.

Because of the added snow accumulations, gusty winds and below-freezing temperatures at the higher elevations, it is too soon to predict when the road would reopen for the season, according to Kyle Patterson, spokesperson for Rocky Mountain National Park.

The delayed opening of Trail Ridge Road is not uncommon, according to Patterson. The last time it opened late was in 2017. Since 1999, Trail Ridge Road has opened after Memorial Day six times. The earliest it has opened was May 7, 2002, and the latest was June 26, 1943.

Pedestrians and bicyclists are still able to travel on the road. Crews will post signs to indicate ongoing plowing operations to alert travelers.

The current plow operations began in mid-April, beginning at both entrances and eventually meeting at the Alpine Visitor Center.

Trail Ridge Road is a staple for visitors of the park. Not only is it the park’s main thoroughfare, running from the park’s west entrance in Grand Lake to the east entrance in Estes Park, it has the distinction of being the highest continuous paved road in the country, reaching an elevation of 12,183 feet.

Despite Trail Ridge Road’s delayed opening, Patterson indicated that park staff expect a busy Memorial Day weekend throughout the park. As an indicator, the three campgrounds that accept reservations in the park are already full.

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/19 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's officially open. H E R E - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

I've been going up there for a lot of years. I've never ever seen this much snow, as seen in the attached picture, this late in the season. H E R E - Alpine Visitors Center is the view from the Alpine Visitors Center. And on 9News out of Denver last night, they were still trying to get the Visitor's Center dug out from snow that nearly completely covered both structures.

Was up on Trail Ridge this past weekend. They had it open to Many Parks Curve. It was a zoo up there. About the only thing to do was turn around and come back down. 22-25ft drifts were cut through, according to ranger reports.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/19 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just heard on the news that it is slated to open soon... good news! But I envision a short winter... As I type, I am getting cold rain with spitting snow and I am sure the peaks around me up high are getting snow.

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/19 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trail Ridge Road/US 34 is again, and has been closed, due to snow. The weekend of 06.21.19-06.23.19 was abnormally cool at lower elevations with heavy snow at higher elevations. As of 4pm 06.24.19 Trail Ridge Road remains closed due to snow and icy conditions. News reports indicated there were 5 foot drifts from the snow over this weekend. It's closed at Milner Pass on the west side, and at Rainbow Curve on the east side. For up-to-the-minute information, visitors can call 970-586-1222 for recorded information.

The good news is that the forecast for this week at lower elevations is for upper 80s to 90s, which likely means in the 60s to near 70 up top.

Needless to say, the chances of Old Fall River Road opening over the 4th of July holiday appear to be pretty slim. Best guess is that it will likely be mid-July before it opens.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has the dirt Trail Ridge (one way to the visitors center) opened yet - and how much damage was done to the surface during the winter? That is an interesting drive if one has an afternoon.

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/19 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

Has the dirt Trail Ridge (one way to the visitors center) opened yet - and how much damage was done to the surface during the winter? That is an interesting drive if one has an afternoon.

That's the Old Fall River Road. It's not open. They shoot for getting it open for the 4th of July weekend, this year being the 5th/6th/7th. That's the one that may not open on time; could be mid-July before it's open.

Trail Ridge Road is now re-opened, hopefully for good for the summer season.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Trail Ridge Road - Will It Be Open...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS