cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aluminum Wheels

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thinking about getting aluminum wheels for the RV.
What are the pro's & cons of such a decision?
Cost is definitely a factor and the looks are better, but are there any other advantages/disadvantages.
I feel that the improved look is worth so much, but if I'm risking other issues down the road is the transition worth it.
Your thoughts.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
23 REPLIES 23

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
I order them as an option on previous 5er. If wheels look good, the whole rig does.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
WOW!, CharlesinGA, thanks for your research. All I have to do now is is to see what exactly the dealer has to offer on the new Class C.
Appreciate it much.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Alcoa makes excellent wheels and are probably the best. Note that your inside rear wheels will remain steel, you only buy four new wheels and caps, lugs, etc.

https://www.arconic.com/alcoawheels/catalog/pdf/brochures/Alcoa_Motorized_Recreational_Vehicle_Wheels_sell_sheet.pdf

https://www.arconic.com/alcoawheels/catalog/pdf/brochures/M_Series_Sprinter_SellSheet.pdf

https://www.arconic.com/alcoawheels/catalog/pdf/brochures/M_Series_SellSheet_final_printable.pdf
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
garmp wrote:
Cost is definitely a factor and the looks are better, but are there any other advantages/disadvantages.
I feel that the improved look is worth so much, but if I'm risking other issues down the road is the transition worth it.
Your thoughts.

Steel is a stronger metal but aluminum wheels are stronger. Even if the coating wears through aluminum resist corrosion a lot better than steel. Aluminum are more round than steel and balance and ride better.
I'm not sure about weight difference between the tow. The aluminum wheels are thicker.
You notice Semis all have aluminum wheels on the tractor and most trailer wheels are aluminum. They of course are on the road all the time.
Look on line for Freightline who is not cheap and other sources for wheels for prices. I saw some that would handle the 275x85x22.5 for 225.00each I think one time and was told here that as a steal.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to add that aluminum trailer wheels differ from aluminum auto wheels. The center hub area is much thicker on trailer wheels.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two main advantages of the alloy wheels, in general they are lighter and more accurate. The steel wheels are stamped and are within .030 ins the alloy wheels are machined within + or - .005 of an inch. For a MH you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in the ride quality. It would be a different story on a performance car that you would race at high speeds. The forged alloy wheels are lighter and stronger than the cast alloy . When I was traveling in Alaska I hit a pot hole on a paved road and bent both my MH steel rim and my tow car steel rim. I was able to straighten both out with a hammer. I would not have been able to do this with cast Al. without cracking it. So for cost and durability I would stay with steel wheels on a MH. Although I did like my Mag wheels on my 54 Ford in HS.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure your wheel studs are long enough to handle the added thicnkness of the alloy wheel.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I had steel wheels. Iโ€™ve heard issues of aluminum wheels sometimes cracking at the lugs.
On my trailer I put stainless trim rings and chrome center caps on the white steel wheels. Dressed it up nice for next to nothing and I still had strong steel wheels.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I am a fan of steel wheels, very durable and do not get damaged as easily as alloy wheels. That being said, larger steel wheels are heavy, increasing the unsprung weight. My '03 2500 Ram had steel rims on it when I bought it last year (plane jane tradesman model) and I recently started looking for a set of third generation alloy Chrysler wheels. Stumbled into a pristine set off an '09 with 40K original miles on the wheels and tires. (Factory wheels with Chrysler logos and p/n's on them). Swapped my tires onto them last week and was shocked at the weight difference, 17 lbs per wheel lighter for the alloy. (65 lbs vs 82 lbs for wheel/tire assy) It actually drives somewhat different with less weight bouncing around out at the corners. Easier to heft up and mount too.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
garmp wrote:
Your thoughts.

For RV's, aluminum wheels are clearly an appearance upgrade where the value is determined by the user.

Aluminum wheels are more easily damaged by pot holes and other road debris but because you use high profile truck tires, (rather than low profile performance tires) they are much less susceptible in your application. In some cases they can be repaired where steel wheels would become scrap metal.

Once initiated, aluminum can show accelerated corrosion due to pitting caused by environmental factors, but a good clear coat or anodizing can protect against that as long as you keep the wheels fairly clean, which is another thing.

Many alloy wheels use different fasteners than their steel counterparts so make sure you are covered if you plan on using a steel spare. Make sure the wheel offsets are the same also.

One last thing. Popular sizes of nice shiny new alloy wheels and new tires catch many "unwanted" eyes and are easily sold, so, make sure you provide adequate security to protect your new investment.

Chum lee

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Aluminum are better but be sure is American made like Alcoa.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
I put over 400k miles on a set of aluminum wheels, no issues.

Your trailer wheels have over 400k miles ??
I've had commercial trailers with that many miles but its rare a rv trailer has that kind of miles of service.

Yes, I figured about 430,000 miles. Best service out of tires were Michelin xca lt tires, 90,000 miles..

When we sold it, itโ€™s still on the road.
-- Chris Bryant

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
I make sure they are coated, that way you can just spray them off. Itโ€™s not much fun when it comes to polishing the ones that are not coated!
Good Luck

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
I put over 400k miles on a set of aluminum wheels, no issues.

Your trailer wheels have over 400k miles ??
I've had commercial trailers with that many miles but its rare a rv trailer has that kind of miles of service.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides