Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Ram truck 426 hemi
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Ram truck 426 hemi

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 05/19/19 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone heard if they'll offer a 426 Hemi and a 3/4 and 1 ton truck? With Ford and GM coming out with a large gas motor haven't heard anything about FCA.

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, CA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/12/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/19/19 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of speculation in 2018 but none that I know of this year.


Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)


sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 04/13/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/19/19 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hasn't the 6.4L been available for a couple of years now?


OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad


MARKW8

Akron OH

Senior Member

Joined: 03/09/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/19/19 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 6.4 is 392.

Mark

rhagfo

Portland, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 07/06/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/19/19 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Has anyone heard if they'll offer a 426 Hemi and a 3/4 and 1 ton truck? With Ford and GM coming out with a large gas motor haven't heard anything about FCA.


Why the 6.4 has proved to be a strong gas engine, do you want them to come out with a 7.0L (6.98) Hemi, that is to match the GM 6.6 and Ford 7.3.


Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"


mtofell1

Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/19/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ram 6.4 puts out upward of 500hp stock in some other applications so it seems there is some room to tweak the 6.4 before they roll out an entirely new engine. This seems more a case of Ford and Chevy/GMC catching up with Ram rather than the other way around. By far the biggest limiting factor to the 6.4 Hemi in the HD trucks is the horrendous tranny they paired with it (gear spacing, not reliability.... for once with Dodge/Ram). 2019 Rams are rolling out with a new 8spd tranny that should be a HUGE improvement.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/19/19 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a rumor out there that a 426 Hemi is going to be available for the HD pickups!
Looks like there is enough interest in big gassers now that the manuf are building bigger engines. I do believe with all the diesel issues and problems a lot of diesel owners are jumping ship!


Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!


Terryallan

Foothills NC

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/19/19 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

There is a rumor out there that a 426 Hemi is going to be available for the HD pickups!
Looks like there is enough interest in big gassers now that the manuf are building bigger engines. I do believe with all the diesel issues and problems a lot of diesel owners are jumping ship!


Agree. You can only get so much power out of the small engines. When you really need juice. You have to go back to the larger engines. When I started driving. A 302 CI / 5.0, was considered a tiny engine. No one wanted anything smaller than a 351CI / 5.7. 390s were pretty much standard.

Yes I know they are getting good power from the smaller engines. But if you are going to put gas in a HD truck. You need the torque of a larger engine. If they can get all that power from a 302. Imagine what a 429, or 460CI can do.


Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers


FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/19/19 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a video of a ram 4500 with a 6.4 Hemi. It's pretty obvious what needs to happen.

Link


'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"


mich800

Pontiac, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Posted: 05/19/19 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mtofell1 wrote:

Ram 6.4 puts out upward of 500hp stock in some other applications so it seems there is some room to tweak the 6.4 before they roll out an entirely new engine. This seems more a case of Ford and Chevy/GMC catching up with Ram rather than the other way around. By far the biggest limiting factor to the 6.4 Hemi in the HD trucks is the horrendous tranny they paired with it (gear spacing, not reliability.... for once with Dodge/Ram). 2019 Rams are rolling out with a new 8spd tranny that should be a HUGE improvement.


[emoticon] Ford and GM are trying to catch up? You cannot compare a hot tune in a car to what a truck engine is capable. Not to mention the fact of the horsepower GM is putting out in their 6.2's in the cars or Fords coyote variants.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Ram truck 426 hemi
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.