cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

National Rescue Dog Day

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Just heard on the news today is national rescue dog day. I would like to thank everyone that's adopted a rescue.

ASAPCA says 3 million dogs enter a shelter each year.
10 REPLIES 10

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Colliehauler, your story with Cooper & Sawyer reminded my of my last puppy (20 yrs ago) Our older GSD was trained to bring in the newspaper but never really liked the job. The puppy saw her doing it and must have thought it was great fun. One morning she just ran ahead and grabbed the newspaper, ran back and dropped it at my feet. After that the job was hers.
Sorry about Cooper, hopefully Sawyer will learn lots from his mentor in the time left.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scottiemom wrote:
God bless all rescuers.

Double ditto.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
LJAZ I recently adopted a 12 week Collie pup to keep Cooper company and have someone to play with. Unfortunately Cooper has developed oral cancer and is not long for this world.

Having a pup is definitely something I was not use to. Most of my rescues have been older Collies that basically knew everything they needed to know. Sawyer basically knew nothing, it was a awakening to say the least.

I'm fortunate, Cooper has taught Sawyer a lot in the brief time he will have with Sawyer. A lot simply by emulating Cooper's behavior.

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Everyone wants puppies. That just encourages breeders to pump out as many new pups as they can. There are so many animals that need homes that there is an untold number euthanized each year due to not enough people to adopt. We just adopted our 3rd Golden Oldie rescue, where age makes them even less desirable.

Unfortunately you're right. But I've had puppies before and no thanks. I much prefer an older dog that's already been through all of the puppy phase. That's why all 4 of ours are rescues. 2 came from rescue groups and the others from the local animal shelter. In fact Maggie had been returned to the shelter twice! So she was the dog who'd been at the shelter longest when we got her. Turned out to be wonderful dog!
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We all do what works best for us.

Absolutely. Jake is what is termed a "bounce back". He went to a different family before us but they gave him back in less than a day. I am so happy they did. It was kind of nice getting dog that was still young enough to "mold" but was house broken.

Meant to mention we had a really cool experience last Saturday. Went up to Maine for the day and stopped at the first rest area. There were at least half a dozen people in there with brand-new rescues. Apparently a truck from the south had just unloaded a bunch of rescues (already claimed) near there. It was absolutely awesome to see how loved these puppies were going to be.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Crowe the same thing could be said about me. I choose to adopt rescue Collies instead of going to my local shelter. The breed seems a perfect fit for my lifestyle and I love their temperament. We all do what works best for us.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
God bless all rescuers.

God bless ANYONE who gives ANY dog a loving home. Rescues aren't for everybody and as one who buys purebreds from REPUTABLE breeders I should not have to defend my position by those who consider me a second-class citizen (not you Colliehauler, just speaking in general terms). Don't misunderstand me-I have the utmost respect for those who choose rescue animals-but the holier-than-thou attitude gets a bit old.

ASAPCA says 3 million dogs enter a shelter each year.

This number is completely unacceptable but IMHO emphasis should be put on stopping puppy mills and educating the public on what pet ownership entails. Preventing the source will go much further than just treating the symptom.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
double post

Douglas Adams

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Everyone wants puppies. That just encourages breeders to pump out as many new pups as they can. There are so many animals that need homes that there is an untold number euthanized each year due to not enough people to adopt. We just adopted our 3rd Golden Oldie rescue, where age makes them even less desirable.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
God bless all rescuers.
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/