cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative satellite option?

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
I’m curious if, in addition to a mounted satellite on top of your rig, you also have a portable unit for use when your mounted antenna can’t get a signal when obstructed by trees, etc. ? As somewhat of a newbie, not sure going to the expense is a common solution, and wanted to inquire...
37 REPLIES 37

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
We use our roof top in motion dome all the time , traveling or parked .
Now I don't park in the trees if I want satellite and the RV parks
often ask if I have satellite .
If they don't ask I tell them , there is seldom a problem and on that
pare occasion I have a dish on a tripod that I can set up if we want it

We will be sad to see in motion cease if in fact that happens but I
don't think that will actually comes about .
No doubt some changes will happen soon which will most likely be the
end of SD ( standard definition ) reception requiring at least up graded
receivers .
BTW I'm speaking Direct TV here .

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
DISH has two sets of sats; the eastern arc is in the southeast southern sky any higher up and western arc is in the southwest sky.

With an augmented reality sat location app on a smart phone you can “see” the sats and move around until one of the sets of sats is clear.

I set my Pathway up there. I almost always can get sats. It just takes a small hole.

I agree rooftop sat dishes are nearly useless. I haven’t used mine in years.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
I have a dome on my RV I don’t even bother to connect anymore.

We camp Fl state parks often and they are mostly heavily treed.

I use a Winegard Pathway X2. It lets you select eastern or western arc which gives you options when here are trees. DISH is more RV friendly than Dtv IMHO.

We have dome also and its in motion. We have found over a decade that trees block the signal. Is there some new tech?

Yup... chainsaws

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I have a dome on my RV I don’t even bother to connect anymore.

We camp Fl state parks often and they are mostly heavily treed.

I use a Winegard Pathway X2. It lets you select eastern or western arc which gives you options when here are trees. DISH is more RV friendly than Dtv IMHO.

We have dome also and its in motion. We have found over a decade that trees block the signal. Is there some new tech?

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for a Winegard Pathway X2 and a DISH Wally. Hook it up and you’re done.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
bigred1cav wrote:
where may i find a service to change my direct tv sat rec to dish? does diah perform the task when system is purchased

You cannot use a DTV receiver with the DISH service. Period.
You will need new receivers from DISH and a new antenna capable of receiving the signal from the DISH satellites. DISH uses 2 sets of satellites so you might need 2 different LNB setups for an open face antenna or an automatic dome antenna capable of changing between the 2 sets.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Pathway X2 and frankly, half the time it ends up on the roof to get the extra angle. It does get both arcs and that's a plus, however, there are places where you cannot get the arc that the local stations transmit on. This happen to us in Rapid City SD.

If you don't already have a WiFi solution, consider ToGo
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
where may i find a service to change my direct tv sat rec to dish? does diah perform the task when system is purchased

You need to let us know which model of satellite dish you have before we can give you a GOOD answer to that question. Some of the cheaper antennas lack the capability to track both the DirectTV and Dish Network satellites. The more expensive ones have small switches that will tell the antenna to use one or the other satellites.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer

Farbin
Explorer
Explorer
Roku is one of the best device to stream channels. But, I use firestick with kodi instead. This allows to stream all my favorite shows and channels within a few minutes.

If you wish to install kodi on your FireStick, refer: http://firestick.tips/install-kodi-on-firestick/

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I use a roof mounted dish and carry a Tailgater but useally don't need the portable. I also habe a Verizon MiFi for streaming when in the southeast but it isn't much good in the North Central part of the U.S. Couldn't get a signal for streaming in Nebraska and the d Dakotas
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
H & E wrote:
I bought a Dish Wally and a Wingard carry out. We left on a four month trip and it only worked a few times early in the trip. I have to send the wingard receiver in for repair when we get home. Prior years I took the direct TV box from the house and set up a dish that had to be tuned to a satellite and it worked great, once I found the satellite.

The receiver is made by Dish so don't send it to Winegard. If you mean the antenna, that's a Winegard product.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a Trav’lr and a portable. Between obstacles, low satellite position and lack of Eastern Arc support, I used the portable most of the time. If I had it to do over, I would have passed on the Trav’lr entirely. Considering my personal travel and viewing preferences, it wasn’t worth the money. YMMV.
Larry

H___E
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Dish Wally and a Wingard carry out. We left on a four month trip and it only worked a few times early in the trip. I have to send the wingard receiver in for repair when we get home. Prior years I took the direct TV box from the house and set up a dish that had to be tuned to a satellite and it worked great, once I found the satellite.